Who has the GOAT MMA wrestling: Khabib or GSP?

superpunch

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Here are some highlights I found:

I personally think it's GSP. His takedowns were just so good and his top control was amazing. He could pass guard like no other. Khabib's takedowns aren't as good but he's just so smothering. GSP is great technique with GOAT level explosiveness. Khabib is average athleticism with GOAT level technique.

I watch GSP and think I could never do that. I watch Khabib and think I will never train enough to do that, but I could do that. It's difficult to choose.

What do you think?

I’d say GSP, more titles won and defended against bigger and better opponents than Khabib has faced.

Jon Jones. The man outwrestled Olympian DC twice...He has never been outwrestled. Khabib and GSP can’t say the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
His wrestling is near GOAT level but not quite there. What IS GOAT is his fucking elbows. That shit is just so brutal. It cracks skulls open. He gets torque on elbows that most guys get from punches because of his arm length. So it's like he's using brass knuckles. Does ground and pound count as wrestling?

Khabib has really shitty takedowns compared to GOATSP

Last edited:
GSP's timing was impeccable.

He had a much easier time closing the distance than Khabib.

Wrestling? Easily Georges. His takedowns are next level.

Grappling? It's close, but I'd say khabib has the slighly better top control and sub game.

GSP. He'd beat Kebab in mma and a straight up wrestling match

GSP has better level changes and takedowns, but Khabib is a much better grappler.

Jon Jones. The man outwresled Olympian DC twice...He has never been outwrestled. Khabib and GSP can’t say the same.

IIRC there were only a few grappling exchanges in DC - Jones 1 and none in the second. GSP outwrestled Koscheck, Nation Champ and 4x All American, twice with a lot more grappling involved.

IIRC there were only a few grappling exchanges in DC - Jones 1 and none in the second. GSP outwrestled Koscheck, Nation Champ and 4x All American, twice with a lot more grappling involved.
Jones has never been outwrestled...GSP was outwrestled vs Hughes 1 and Hendricks. Khabib was outwrestled by Tibau.

Olympic wrestling is better than college wrestling..

Lol.

GSP. Khabib and GSP are near the same size and GSP fought 15lbs higher and actually outwreslted really good wrestlers...

Who are these great wrestlers Khabib out wrestled or outgraplled? He fought Tibau and had absolutely nothing for him

GSP

Others might be better in "pure" wrestling or "pure BJJ" but GSP is an MMA fighter. He sets up his grappling with his striking, and he sets up his striking with grappling (or even just the threat of it). Khabib can't do that. He also doesn't have the kind of powerful TDs that keep opponents off balance. No disrespect to Khabib because he's definitely the better "pure" wrestler, but his skillset isn't as MMA-adapted as GSP's

Anybody below LHW should never be in the best wrestler discussion.

DC tosses these two like he did Hendo with ease.

Best wrestler in UFC is probably prime sea level Cain or juiced Jones.

different type of wrestling. GSP is more slick and flashy in setting up his takedowns but khabib has a much better top control.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back