On this day, August 17th, we pay tribute to one of the GOATs

Njmma209

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Exactly 5 years ago today. The American Gangster, Lord Chael Sonnen effortlessly dominated fellow legend Shogun Rua. The agony and despair on shoguns face post fight says it all. It was a beautiful MMA moment to watch Lord Chael show some mercy and empathize with Shogun after the fight.
FDDD1CF8-23A6-4C7C-9FB2-9F35FFE4507F.jpeg
94BAF27B-39BE-4C40-A327-B666C5F2BE67.jpeg B78FBD70-130F-4486-A972-104C9E58314C.jpeg

Was definitely expecting this to be a Travis Browne thread but alright. Great card though.

Damn. Shogun has given us ton of shoop material.

seriously though how many people expected chael to submit shogun? Maybe grind out a decision but damn
Yeah Chaels crafty, shoguns fight iq has never been that high either imo. Always a warrior, and a class act though, so ill always support him.

Yeah Chaels crafty, shoguns fight iq has never been that high either imo. Always a warrior, and a class act though, so ill always support him.
100% . Was hoping he'd get through Anthony Smith and get that title shot, to see him win that belt again ( however unlikely it would have been) would have been gold

100% . Was hoping he'd get through Anthony Smith and get that title shot, to see him win that belt again ( however unlikely it would have been) would have been gold
That was a brutal KO, i said fuck alot.

That was a funny night on Sherdog. Same night Travis KO'd Reem. Also early McNugget cult was in effect when he beat Holloway. So much fun trolling.

That was a brutal KO, i said fuck alot.
too brutal. If any time was good to retire maybe it is now. He's probably still got a few decent fights left but long term wise dudes took some serious damage

seriously though how many people expected chael to submit shogun? Maybe grind out a decision but damn
Yep. This one really stung the shogun/brazil fans and just really hurt shogun in general. Chael pissed off a lot of those Brazilian fighters to sell his fights, and always gave them shit about their black belts. Then he goes out and submits one of them lol

too brutal. If any time was good to retire maybe it is now. He's probably still got a few decent fights left but long term wise dudes took some serious damage
These guys don't know when to quit, but i agree 100%.

Big Shogun fan, but that was probably the most embarrassing loss of all time

Mediocre Chael Sonnen pulling guard and submitting you? Good grief....

Shogun must have stopped training after the 2nd Machida fight. Dude looked so good vs Machida then proceeded to fall off the face of the earth. I’ll never understand

Back