Should former Champion be able to come back after 4 year layoff and pick title fights as he pleases?

Espresso

Post USADA era will make UFC great again
@Silver
Reaction score
Lets say Max defended 145 title 7 more times... And retires with

10 title defences

19 straight wins

Being as flexible (big) as Max Holloway is... If he decides to come back after a 4 year layoff, should he be allowed to get title shots back to back with opponents of his choice and in different weight class. One at 155 and the other at 170

I like to think of things like this. If everyone did it, would it be a problem? Imagine you had a bunch of dominant champions retire early, and then comeback after years to pick the best opponent for them to get a belt back, (Ideally the guy thats blind from one eye)... And skip every fighter thats been kicking ass and hungry for TS.

I dont like the entire concept of what GSP is doing, and Im glad Dana is telling him to fuck off. Now hes trying to drain himself to 155 to pick on smaller fighter

It's prize fighting.

If the largest prize is holding up UFC's integrity, then I'm sure fighters will happily do so.

Until then, these belts are nothing but props for selling fights in the promotion business.

GSP is a Great. He has transcended being a mere “champ”. Guys with epic legacies can do things like that.

If Max does manage to pull off a GSP like title reign, then yes. And I would be pumped to see him do it

The rest of the scenario you paint is stupid. A lot of guys aren’t going to do this because they won’t have his legacy. His legacy is a near impossible feat and that is why he is special

Should every champion? No

Can a champion with a resume like gsp’s? Of course he can. That’s not even mentioning how big of a draw he is. Gsp is a top 2 goat candidate. He’s not a regular case. If anyone else did the same thing he’s done for as long as he’s done it, I’d have no problem with that too.

Yes because you like that fighter... Not because it makes any sense.

155 is loaded with talent, Kevin Lee, Gillespie, Tony Ferguson... The time is now for those dudes

10 title defences

19 straight wins

Being as flexible (big) as Max Holloway is... If he decides to come back after a 4 year layoff, should he be allowed to get title shots back to back with opponents of his choice and in different weight class. One at 155 and the other at 170

I like to think of things like this. If everyone did it, would it be a problem? Imagine you had a bunch of dominant champions retire early, and then comeback after years to pick the best opponent for them to get a belt back, (Ideally the guy thats blind from one eye)... And skip every fighter thats been kicking ass and hungry for TS.

I dont like the entire concept of what GSP is doing, and Im glad Dana is telling him to fuck off. Now hes trying to drain himself to 155 to pick on smaller fighter
gsp made ufc millions and cities.its the least they could do.

Long story: GSP brings the UFC a truck load of money.

Short story: Yes

If they are arguably the GOAT and made the UFC more money then any fighter ever, sure! They can do what they want

10 title defences

19 straight wins

Do you know of any other fighters that can compare to GSP? Any? Because you make it sound like there are a couple 100 ready to do the same thing.

Yes because you like that fighter... Not because it makes any sense.

155 is loaded with talent, Kevin Lee, Gillespie, Tony Ferguson... The time is now for those dudes
Stop being ridiculous. Any fighter with that record would deserve special treatment. Don’t try that , you just like that fighter, crap with me.

I'm fine with Gsp getting special treatment but Bisping held up the mw division for over a year angling for a fight with him. We also do you know if he can make lw or how he will look. Plus the Nate/Poirier winner, Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee are all ready for title shots.

Make Gsp vs Ferguson or Gsp vs Anderson

Do you know of any other fighters that can compare to GSP? Any? Because you make it sound like there are a couple 100 ready to do the same thing.

Incomparable in what way? Accolades? There are guys with that more title defenses. Talent? I think Woodley vs GSP are very comparable in that regard, but Tyron is less likely to be dominant because the division has evolved and caught up.

In what way is he incomparable?

10 title defences

19 straight wins

Not Tim Sylvia.

You lost us at "Let's say..."

How about we discuss reality, TS?

but Tyron is less likely to be dominant because the division has evolved and caught up.

Oh fuck off with this shit! It wasn't that long ago Robbie was champ. Woodley is an old man. I would take 2009s prime Alves, Fitch, GSP, Sheilds over Till, Colby, RDA and Woodley any day.

And skill for skill, you are delusional if you think Woodley is close to prime GSP. The only thing Woodley does better is KO power

Back