UFC margins on a PPV?

Spoken

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Im not finding the answer from google. If a PPV is $65, how much of that $65 does the UFC get?

If bob has 3 slices and Tim has 2 how many are left for James

I read something along the lines of 50% of PPV's goes to the cable companies.

Im not finding the answer from google. If a PPV is $65, how much of that $65 does the UFC get?
Around 55%. It used to be 50% until recently. This is also before any cost such as advertising, venue booking, AC fees (5-10%), on site medical, medical insurance for the fight, travel, lodging, per diem, etc.

Doesn't really answer the OP's question. It's possible that beyond 285k buys, the UFC's margin per PPV is higher.

It not only possible, it is likely. Not to mention that they get a much higher % on digital streaming PPVs and all of the $ when people stream an event through the UFC app or UFC.com.

Doesn't really answer the OP's question. It's possible that beyond 285k buys, the UFC's margin per PPV is higher.

Anything is possible, but I answered the OPs question for a 285k PPV event, which is in the ballpark for average buys. By your standards, no one outside of the UFC or cable companies can answer the question.

My first guess would be approximately tree fiddy, but I'm not certain.

That said, I do wonder how the UFC can't get a better deal with the cable companies as I hear that the cable companies get around 40-50% cut of the $60. That seems utterly ridiculous in the age of the internet.

It's not 2008 when watching TV on the internet is so cutting edge and new. I mean, the prime demographic of UFC PPV buyers are youngish people, mostly males right? What 18-40 year old doesn't know how to connect their laptop with smooth high speed 1080p internet feed to their TV via HDMI cable?

The UFC should push harder in selling their PPVs via their own website, Yahoo, Amazon Prime, Netflix, whatever and I bet they can keep close to 90% of the revenue. And they could lower the price to like $45 and still make more money and probably get more PPV buys.

Back