Why does shogun?

Paolo Delutis

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Fight at 205..hes not ripped or tall always looks very flabby..even in his prime in pride..i realise he had his best run at 205..but what does 185 pound shogun look and perform like..i think he might be stuck in the same trap as rshad and fought in too big of a weight class for too long..

Question does he turn his career around at 185 pounds or is it over or only down hill from here into a liddell/evans/henderson like retirement...

I believe rashad could of been middleweight champ if he dropped to 185 right after losing the 205 title..shogun im not sure..maybe given the current circumstances of the 205 and 185 divisons

early on, his skill and power made it seem like it didnt matter - hes not a modern athlete that can workout/diet consistently - lots of the great fighters arent - he has to eat what he wants, within reason, and doesnt like to cut weight - at this stage, its late in the game to get good at those items

Dan Henderson?

He beat the shit out of the former middleweight champ before retiring. That to me is a great retirement.

He lost that fight tho..dont know how but he did..and what about the fights prior to that...he did go out way better then liddell or evans but still took some hard loses near the end

He lost that fight tho..dont know how but he did..and what about the fights prior to that...he did go out way better then liddell or evans but still took some hard loses near the end
Everybody takes hard losses near the end.

Is normal.

Why question him when he's had a ton of success in the division? He's just well past his prime. He wouldn't have any better success at MW at this point.

Because Shogun is an OG.

Modern fighters are desperate to fight smaller men.

early on, his skill and power made it seem like it didnt matter - hes not a modern athlete that can workout/diet consistently - lots of the great fighters arent - he has to eat what he wants, within reason, and doesnt like to cut weight - at this stage, its late in the game to get good at those items

I agree on ur first point about early on but disagree about the rest..hes surrounded by lots of fighters and coaches who have fighters who cut weight or diet find it highly suspect he doesnt know how..i think he still thinks he can hang at 205 but the game has changed and the lhw division is where scared hws hide..from there own rightful division some real monsters lurk there

Are there any examples of elite fighters that dropped a weight-class late in their career and were a huge succes? People always bring this shit up when legends are fading, but I legitimately can't think of a single one

Last edited:
Why question him when he's had a ton of success in the division? He's just well past his prime. He wouldn't have any better success at MW at this point.

Well the landscape of the 205 division has changed ....its alot of scared hws hiding at 205 and shogun was never a big 205er to begin with..his body shows us that..hes carrying alot of fat for a pro fighter thats not a HW

He can’t even turn directions walking, we can forget him turning his career

-confessing huge Shogun and Pride fan boi

Are there any examples of elite fighters that dropped a weight-class late in their career and where a huge succes? People always bring this shit up when legends are fading, but I legitimately can't think of a single one

Lyoto did pretty good..got a second shot at a UFC title at middleweight, came up short but still got there..

D.C came down from HW did pretty good..he was older when he did it..

Randy couture...but hes mike goldbergs hero so its expected..

Theres been a few but i get what your saying theres been more then a few fails too

Shogun is still active today partly cuz he doesnt do those toxic weight cuts

Shogun is still active today partly cuz he doesnt do those toxic weight cuts

Well it wouldnt be a wieght cut as much as a perminate lifestyle change to fight and live closer to 185lbs..

It will probably help his knee to be lighter and obvious carrying less fat will help as well for gas tank and body shot defense..flabs dont block as well as abs

Back