Losing a fight should drop you out of the top 5.

Alpha_T83

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I feel like the UFC has a huge problem with highly ranked fighters maintaining their rank through inactivity. Even if a #1 contender loses a fight to the champ, they should be dropped to #6 automatically.

The only exception should be a champ losing their belt, but even then they should be bumped to #2 or #3.

Sounds about how Sherdog works.

Beat everyone but the champ? Sorry dude, you are no longer top 5.

Rankings don't matter

This doesn't make any sense. If your #1 and lose to #2 you should just trade places

that seems unnecessarily cruel. i like it

What are these "Rankings" you speak of?

TS wants to see the most boring, hug fest, pitter patter and run "I'm fighting not to lose" fights possible.

Last edited:
Agreed.

You're either a GOAT or a CAN.

No in-Betweens allowed.

Official rankings, gifted title shots, interim belts, and Conor McGregor are what fucked this sport up. The best used to fight the best and ducking/not fighting/asking for gimme title shots were things that previously would have been considered shameful.

so on your view stipe should be ranked below francis and overeem?

i think the better solution is to have a strict inactivity policy: no fight booked within a year of your last fight means you are off the rankings. that way guys like dominick cruz who only fights five times in seven years can stop taking up spots

I feel like that would lead to more inactivity amounta the top 5 contenders

Screw it, while we're at it, when Ngannou lost to Stipe, he should have fallen out of the top 15. And Stipe should be kicked clear of the HW rankings now, maybe put him at 12th at WFW to spice things up.

DC lost to Jones? Definitely out of the top rankings. When Conor lost to Diaz, he definitely should have been removed from the rankings. And don't get me started about when Shogun fought Machida and "lost" that decision, Shogun should have definitely been kicked out of any rankings consideration forever.

C'mon man. Don't be silly.

For 2018 and beyond the rankings should revolve around earning power...thats all the champs seem to care about nowadays. Make me money or fuck off

No. UFC Rankings aren't a titleshot queue, so there is no reason to do that. They're supposed to indicate, based on accomplishments/resume, who are the best fighters in the division. If you beat everyone else and loses only to the champ, you should be the #1 in the rankings. Simple as that.

Hmm not bad yeah I like it in a sense.. I'd have my algorithm like..
X beats Y: X is now ranked above Y
*if* Y lost his previous fight, he drops down an extra rank.
*if* Y lost any fights via split decision (this one, or the last one), he does not drop an extra rank

so on your view stipe should be ranked below francis and overeem?

i think the better solution is to have a strict inactivity policy: no fight booked within a year of your last fight means you are off the rankings. that way guys like dominick cruz who only fights five times in seven years can stop taking up spots

I think you're probably right. But even being barely active for a long period of times. A #1 contender shouldn't maintain that rank by fighting a fringe top 5 fighter as their only fight in 18 months.

Champ takes up all 1-5 slots. Everyone else starts at rank 6 on down.

I feel like the UFC has a huge problem with highly ranked fighters maintaining their rank through inactivity. Even if a #1 contender loses a fight to the champ, they should be dropped to #6 automatically.

The only exception should be a champ losing their belt, but even then they should be bumped to #2 or #3.
Why would losing to the champion automatically move one out of the top five? It should definitely result in being ranked below the guy that just beat you, but there's no reason that has mean moving out of the top 5 if you're still performing better than the next 4 guys.

Back