Becoming a big fan of Anthony Smith. This year has brought some changes in fandom for me.

digitalman45

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
First off I want to say that Anthony Smith is awesome. He's everything good about mma: a big scary finisher in the cage and a deceptively nice, well versed, bright mind outside of it. Go watch any of his interviews, the way in which he speaks about his opponents is incredibly respectful and genuine and his awareness of the fight game is refreshing. Gotta love that he takes short notice fights, fights very frequently and took the right step in going up a weight class before he had complications that messed up a big fight down the road.

As for some changes in fandom I have given up being a hater of DC. I never cared for his fights at heavyweight and his LHW run didn't impress me until I witnessed him perform in person at 220. I really was blown away by his energy leading up to the fight and his tenacity in the cage against Volkan. I read about his story before the Stipe fight and was blown away by what he's overcome. He's an amazing guy and deserves all his success.

I no longer consider myself a fan of Gus who I've loved to watch for a long time. I just don't feel the need to care of get excited anymore about a guy who fights so little and to me is blatantly ducking opponents. I'm left really disappointed by that. After defending him for a long time I'm willing to admit the criticisms in which the way he fights are valid.

Thoughts on Lionheart and any changes in fandom this year? Fighters you've relinquished support of or became a new fan of this year? I'd love to hear it.

Always liked that guy (check my post history).

He has been slow AF at times, but the guy fights till his last breath.

A true, just bleed warrior. He could be a fan favorite if he keeps bringing the chaos.

Really though I really like Gregor Gillespie his top control game is as good as it gets, this dude can really be a beast.

Been a fan for a while, I love he gets the recognition he deserves.

Any fighter with 27 finishes in 30 wins, has my vote as a fan.

Really though I really like Gregor Gillespie his top control game is as good as it gets, this dude can really be a beast.
That's cool. I kind of dig his whole bluecollar, fisherman shtick and I like that the ufc gets behind him when he fights. He already seems like a big hometown hero on those NY cards. Hope he gets a big fight when they go to msg this year.

Smith is looking good but still seems rather small for the division.imo The Rashad win wasn't as impressive to me as Rashad was already completely shot at that point. Shogun was at least on a win streak.

I have had my eye on Dan Hooker he has really impressed me. I see big tings from him in the future.

Fighters are far too passive, he beat a legend and then jumped at an opportunity to beat another legend 5 weeks later. I don't think he's that good, but at 205, he's not too far off

Smith is looking good but still seems rather small for the division.imo The Rashad win wasn't as impressive to me as Rashad was already completely shot at that point. Shogun was at least on a win streak.

I have had my eye on Dan Hooker he has really impressed me. I see big tings from him in the future.

He's 6'4 so he's the right size for the division I'd say. Size isn't everything anyways just look at DC.

Dan Hooker's amazing must see tv. Him and Stylebender are an awesome duo of technical kiwi violence. I'm still salty he beat Ross Pearson :,(

He's 6'4 so he's the right size for the division I'd say. Size isn't everything anyways just look at DC.

Dan Hooker's amazing must see tv. Him and Stylebender are an awesome duo of technical kiwi violence. I'm still salty he beat Ross Pearson :,(

Definitely is! I don't remember the Pearson fight actually. Was it in UFC?

Stylebender isn't really doing it for me another guy that seems tiny for the division. He may win me over tho as he does show some good promise.

I was seeing him for the first time tonight. I hated the throat slash. I like guys who don’t showboat.
He won me over a little more with his interview though.

I got sick of DJ this year. I hate the 125 division anyways, but the “best fighter on the planet” hype made me nauseous

At one time Shogun, Lombard and Rashad Evans were p4p #1, #2, and #3 on a list.

I was seeing him for the first time tonight. I hated the throat slash. I like guys who don’t showboat.
He won me over a little more with his interview though.

I got sick of DJ this year. I hate the 125 division anyways, but the “best fighter on the planet” hype made me nauseous

I mostly liked DJ but was really disappointed he won't fight Dillashaw and now they're both on the same card.

Should be charged with assaults on geriatric persons.

I mostly liked DJ but was really disappointed he won't fight Dillashaw and now they're both on the same card.
I think that’s what did it for me. If you want to market yourself as the best fighter, and people are willing to meet you in your weight class, fight anyone

Back