Aging out of MMA...

yougotabeeonyourhat

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sports Business Weekly reported a while back that the median age of UFC fans is 49 years old. As a fan who started watching on via UFC 1 2 & 3 on VHS tapes, I have to imagine that I am not alone in finding it hard to be as excited about the sport as I used to be.

I've tried to get into some of the more current popular fighters but they just fucking suck. The vast majority seem to be more bark than bite, or so morally repugnant that it's impossible to get behind them, unless you are semi-retarded and find silly smack-talk and contrived hooker photoshoots awesome. Or they get their hands on a title and run and hide.

I feel like the decline in UFC popularity (yes it is happening) is in large part due to what I've stated above. It's accepted business ideology that it's easier and more fiscally prudent to keep an existing customers base as it is to attract new customers. Of course an entertainment company needs to increase it viewership, but The UFC has chosen to do it at the expense of it's existing long-time fans. And the 35-40+ fans are the one's who were buying the PPVs because... #duh they have the money and aren't notorious streamers.

Anyway, The UFC is dying.

Flame away.

(Do kids still call it flaming? Oh who am I kidding? You're all over 40.)

I don't know a single person over the age of 40 that gives a shit about ufc. I only know a handful over 30 that watch it

What do Sherdog and Moscow have in common?

Notorious streamers

<6>

Sports Business Weekly reported a while back that the median age of UFC fans is 49 years old. As a fan who started watching on via UFC 1 2 & 3 on VHS tapes, I have to imagine that I am not alone in finding it hard to be as excited about the sport as I used to be.

I've tried to get into some of the more current popular fighters but they just fucking suck. The vast majority seem to be more bark than bite, or so morally repugnant that it's impossible to get behind them, unless you are semi-retarded and find silly smack-talk and contrived hooker photoshoots awesome. Or they get their hands on a title and run and hide.

I feel like the decline in UFC popularity (yes it is happening) is in large part due to what I've stated above. It's accepted business ideology that it's easier and more fiscally prudent to keep an existing customers base as it is to attract new customers. Of course an entertainment company needs to increase it viewership, but The UFC has chosen to do it at the expense of it's existing long-time fans. And the 35-40+ fans are the one's who were buying the PPVs because... #duh they have the money and aren't notorious streamers.

Flame away.

2eibw5.jpg

It’s not just the ufc. The nfl and mlb are suffering major fan fatigue. The nba and nhl have record ratings but will soon suffer the same. There are too many media options these days. Live sports is the holy grail of programming these days because it is live and unique. The over saturation of major sports along with the fact they earn 100x the average person is starting to hurt numbers even without including cord cutting and demographic changes.

And that doesn’t include losing interest in old hobbies as you age and have children.

I don't know a single person over the age of 40 that gives a shit about ufc. I only know a handful over 30 that watch it

I think that supports my thesis.

Back in the day so many pubs/bars showed the UFC events. I used to easily be able to round up 8-10 people to go watch an event. In fact we used to have to show up 3 hours early to get a decent seat. And they charged a $5 cover! Today, there are a couple of places that show it and they are never at capacity.

I'm not surprised that you don't know many over 40 dudes who still give a shit...that's the problem. I'm almost one of them.

Shows how little your circle of friends are. Go to a live show how many 40 and up are there on a 12-15k people in the arena and that's just in one city. There are tons

so morally repugnant that it's impossible to get behind them
... "I have to imagine that I am not alone in finding it hard to be as excited about the sport as I used to be."

.... "so morally repugnant that it's impossible to get behind them, unless you are semi-retarded and find silly smack-talk and contrived hooker photoshoots awesome."

30779.jpg

upload_2018-7-23_0-41-39.jpeg

m96jjd.jpg

For younger people, they consume laundry detergent to make their shitty music tolerable. And are not watching the UFC because they are watching other people play video games and call it a sport.

<Fedor23> .

Flame away.

Agree pretty much. This isnt what it used to be at all. Ive gone to boxing again and it's apparent what a shit show the ufc is in at the moment.

The real brains of all this has always been the fertittas. Its not a coincidence that when tgey sold up it became a shit show.

It’s not just the ufc. The nfl and mlb are suffering major fan fatigue. The nba and nhl have record ratings but will soon suffer the same. There are too many media options these days. Live sports is the holy grail of programming these days because it is live and unique. The over saturation of major sports along with the fact they earn 100x the average person is starting to hurt numbers even without including cord cutting and demographic changes.

And that doesn’t include losing interest in old hobbies as you age and have children.

Seriously....... wellthereitis.gif.

Watching any sport just isn't as big of an event anymore.

m96jjd.jpg

For younger people, they consume laundry detergent to make their shitty music tolerable. And are not watching the UFC because they are watching other people play video games and call it a sport.

<Fedor23> .

I literally spewed my drink <45>

Yeah it’s mainly the fighters to me. The new guys are just lame. They don’t have the same mentality as guys used to. I can literally count on one hand the guys that still have that old school mentality, Frankie, lawler, reem, shogun Maia and it starts to drop off after that. Today was a perfect example you have a legend like shogun replaces with just a very bland uninteresting guy.

who cares if they earn way more than the average person? I'm sure that's not the factor, or even one of them

That's just one of the boxes, you check all 4. As the saying goes: if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

And you have a butthurt pro-Trump anti-Colbert av...

So yeah, "you're a new breed fan" piece of shit and you most likely love Conor, Jones and Colby.

Am I right?

Or am I right o_O

Yeah it’s mainly the fighters to me. The new guys are just lame. They don’t have the same mentality as guys used to. I can literally count on one hand the guys that still have that old school mentality, Frankie, lawler, reem, shogun Maia and it starts to drop off after that. Today was a perfect example you have a legend like shogun replaces with just a very bland uninteresting guy.
by very bland you mean KO machine?

A lot of it has to do with the belt situations for me. I’m still a fan but the Bisping and GSP MW debacle, now the WW shitshow, Conor not defending etc etc

Back