The UFC must strip Max Holloway to fill UFC 228

Alpha_T83

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Right now the UFC are threatening to strip Covington of his interim title, as a bargaining tool because they are desperate to fill UFC 228. But Covington just fought 5 hard rounds with RDA, and deserves time to heal up. Woodley is at least healthy and willing to schedule a fight, and should fight Colby around Oct-Dec 2018.

But the UFC has no other big fight to headline the UFC 228 card.

Their only real option is to strip Max Holloway of the Featherweight title, and have Brian Ortega fight either Stephens or Edgar @ UFC 228. This option would work, I'm sure. Ortega has stated he'd be ready to go *if* the fight is for the real title.

If Max isn't able to accept a fight by the end of 2018, then he should be stripped. The UFC need to start taking a stand against champions that are out for an extended period of time. They had a chance to do this with Woodley and failed, but they need to do it with Max. And Max should probably move to 155 anyway, because he clearly struggles to make 145 at this point.

Edgar is booked for November and Stephens has some guy called Aldo to deal with, even if he wins what’s the chances he comes out unscathed?

You wont do anyone a favor if you strip Holloway, the winner will be called paper champion, Holloway vs Ortega has to happen, at the moment they are the 2 best Featherweights, until they fight we dont know who will win, show some patience, Holloway was willing to go and would have fought even in that state, you cant just take away a hard earned title because you cant wait.

Colby is an interims champ. That title fight was for pure promo and never made much sense otherwise. And that promo move did not even work.

Holloway is the legit #1 at FW. The undisputed champ. Stripping him for marketing purposes would be a new low and a disgrace to the sport. Suggesting that is ridiculous.

An interim title would be another story if Holloway is out for the rest of the year.

Mate I feel like given the possible things going on with max that's a very poor move. Max's serious long term health is on the line I feel like we should just let him do his thing for a month or so while doctors figure out how serious this is

Right now the UFC are threatening to strip Covington of his interim title, as a bargaining tool because they are desperate to fill UFC 228. But Covington just fought 5 hard rounds with RDA, and deserves time to heal up. Woodley is at least healthy and willing to schedule a fight, and should fight Colby around Oct-Dec 2018.

Their only real option is to strip Max Holloway of the Featherweight title, and have Brian Ortega fight either Stephens or Edgar @ UFC 228. This option would work, I'm sure. Ortega has stated he'd be ready to go *if* the fight is for the real title.

If Max isn't able to accept a fight by the end of 2018, then he should be stripped. The UFC need to start taking a stand against champions that are out for an extended period of time. They had a chance to do this with Woodley and failed, but they need to do it with Max. And Max should probably move to 155 anyway, because he clearly struggles to make 145 at this point.

Max Hollway is the legitimate 145 lb. champion. He won it and defended it.

Colby's is a Happy Meal belt they made up to sell PPVs.

Just accept the fact that 228 is going to suck and is being sacrificed for 230 and 232.

Ufc 228 is a wmma laced card. Nothing will help it.

Max defended his belt in December, some 8 months ago. It's quite a bit premature to talk about stripping him.

They just paid Ortega and everything is supposedly "cool" now. Look for him to headline 228

th

Still waiting for Conor to defend.....

Covington and Woodley should be both stripped Woodley is ducking contenders and has been for a while because he wants a "Money Fight" and Covington literally talked tons of shit about that on Woodley then says naw bro I'm not fighting him in 3 months. Fuck em both. Welterweight has been in shambles since GSP and Lawler left the title picture. These guys dont compare at all.

. Max needs to get medically cleared but he might get stripped if he doesnt show up the next time he pulls out

Let's see if the guy can even fight again... Plus. It hasn't even been a year since his last fight. We don't need another paper champ.

Let's see if the guy can even fight again... Plus. It hasn't even been a year since his last fight. We don't need another paper champ.

I'm quite surprised at the double standards for weight cutting. People like Khabib miss and people make tiramisu jokes for months, but when Holloway misses weight everyone's like "get better dude i hope hes alright!"

Max is very big for featherweight and should be a lightweight. He fights at this weight and puts himself through hell to get a weight advantage. If he misses weight its due to poor nutrition, shitty team, or just laziness. That means he messed up trying to get an ADVANTAGE. He should not be forgiven in any way because of this. High risk High reward. People forget fighting is not a job, its YOUR LIFE. Everyday you take a day off, somebody else is working to become better than you. I truly believe if the champ misses weight like this, he should be immediately stripped. If he misses a second time, it should be a mandatory move up in weightclass.

They're screwed, plain and simple.

They were clearly banking on Woodley, they're fucked. Nicco Montano is going to be headlining a UFC PPV and they'll be lucky to get 20,000 buys. I'm being serious.

If it ends up that max's concussion issues could keep him out for an extended period of time or that he indeed have a "mini-stroke" as ortega alluded to in a LFA interview last night, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Not the time yet to strip him yet though just to save a September event that is gonna sell bad regardless whether Shevchenko or Ortega is the headliner. I would wait until the year end. maybe book a interim title between ortega vs. aldo/stephens winner

Covington and Woodley should be both stripped Woodley is ducking contenders and has been for a while because he wants a "Money Fight" and Covington literally talked tons of shit about that on Woodley then says naw bro I'm not fighting him in 3 months. Fuck em both. Welterweight has been in shambles since GSP and Lawler left the title picture. These guys dont compare at all.

. Max needs to get medically cleared but he might get stripped if he doesnt show up the next time he pulls out
How can you blame Woodley for wanting to make a big payday or 2 before he retires, and people give him shit but he always defended against top competition until now, just because you dont like him that shouldnt cloud your judgment, i feel like older Champions you can give a gimmick fight as they wont be around that long anyway, its the same with Cormier the Lesnar fight makes zero sense but Daniel deserves it, same with Bisping they gave him shit while the dude was clawing and fighting for years and finally getting that big payday, he deserved it, its even worse cause he is a cyclopse, imagine if you knew you had little time left to do your job, wouldnt you want to take the most profitable route?

Mate I feel like given the possible things going on with max that's a very poor move. Max's serious long term health is on the line I feel like we should just let him do his thing for a month or so while doctors figure out how serious this is

I have sympathy for Max, but fighters can't be allowed to hold onto titles for 1 year+ without defending. Holloway last fought Dec 9th, 2017. If he cannot fight before Dec. 9, 2018, he should be stripped.

To be honest, Max is looking like he's going to be out for at least 6 months, if not more. That's just too long.

Back