What McGregor and Holloway teach us about modern MMA

Hazuki Ryo

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Both of them have practiced weight cutting to an extreme point. Had Conor continued for another few years and he might would have ended like Max..

I'm just refering to them because they are a perfect example of this Idea that you have to capitalize on your early career to kill yourself cutting weight and dwarf your oppponents at the lower weight class, which is not your natural weight class.

I am aware that almost all fighters cut weight, but not to that point. Holloway should have never been a FW, neither McGregor. Their success is partly due to the CRAZY amount of weight they were able to cut during their camp.

And that shows that fighters are considering damaging their health at a young age while getting all the Glory for being dominant at a weight class they dont even belong.. once they get older they start fighting at their natural weight, where things get more interesting..

Edit: props to Whittaker for going up a class and dominating. And of course Big up to BJ Penn, who never agreed to this weight cutting bullshit and became a two weight class World Champion, with victories and defeats

Every wrestler has been doing this since junior high.

Weight cutting is a cancer to the sport

Cut weight, talk trash, fight manlets = great success

Edit: props to Whittaker for going up a class and dominating. And of course Big up to BJ Penn, who never agreed to this weight cutting bullshit and became a two weight class World Champion, with victories and defeats
No props to McGregor for moving up in weight? Or for moving up two weight classes?

McGregor- 5 foot 9 inch

The FW top 15:
Ortega- 5 foot 8 inch
Aldo- 5 foot 7 inch
Edgar- 5 foot 6 inch
Stephens- 5 foot 8 inch
Swanson- 5 foot 7 inch
Emmet- 5 foot 6 inch
Mendes- 5 foot 6 inch
Bektic- 5 foot 8 inch
Jung- 5 foot 7 inch
Moicano- 5 foot 11 inch
Volkanovski- 5 foot 6 inch
Lamas- 5 foot 8 inch
Elkins- 5 foot 10 inch
Zabit- 6 foot 1 inch
Yair- 5 foot 11 inch

The biggest gap is 3 inches. Last I checked, 3 inches doesn't mean you're "dwarfing" someone. Also, McGregor never missed weight, so stop acting like he's a Till, Romero or Dern.

McGregor- 5 foot 9 inch

The FW top 15:
Ortega- 5 foot 8 inch
Aldo- 5 foot 7 inch
Edgar- 5 foot 6 inch
Stephens- 5 foot 8 inch
Swanson- 5 foot 7 inch
Emmet- 5 foot 6 inch
Mendes- 5 foot 6 inch
Bektic- 5 foot 8 inch
Jung- 5 foot 7 inch
Moicano- 5 foot 11 inch
Lamas- 5 foot 8 inch
Elkins- 5 foot 10 inch
Zabit- 6 foot 1 inch
Yair- 5 foot 11 inch

The biggest gap is 3 inches. Last I checked, 3 inches doesn't mean you're "dwarfing" someone. Also, McGregor never missed weight, so stop acting like he's a Till, Romero or Dern.

There's the size, and the frame, and the reach.. he was big at FW, and the fact that the "new breed" reproduces the same dors not mean it's good for the sport

No props to McGregor for moving up in weight? Or for moving up two weight classes?

He's a LW killing himself going to FW. Pretty sure he won't be able to go down to FW anymore. So he basically moved up a weight class and got his ass kicked

There's the size, and the frame, and the reach.. he was big at FW, and the fact that the "new breed" reproduces the same dors not mean it's good for the sport

I never said it was good for the sport. Yes, he was big, but he didn't "dwarf" his opponents. That's a clear exaggeration to attempt to discredit his wins, and it's sad.

I never said it was good for the sport. Yes, he was big, but he didn't "dwarf" his opponents. That's a clear exaggeration to attempt to discredit his wins, and it's sad.

Not discrediting anything but he had a big size advantage over Mendes, Brandao, almost everyone. Except for Poirier. You can't deny that he was bigger than almost anyone he faced at that weight class. Dwarfing is a sherdog amplification, but you see my point

McGregor- 5 foot 9 inch

The FW top 15:
Ortega- 5 foot 8 inch
Aldo- 5 foot 7 inch
Edgar- 5 foot 6 inch
Stephens- 5 foot 8 inch
Swanson- 5 foot 7 inch
Emmet- 5 foot 6 inch
Mendes- 5 foot 6 inch
Bektic- 5 foot 8 inch
Jung- 5 foot 7 inch
Moicano- 5 foot 11 inch
Lamas- 5 foot 8 inch
Elkins- 5 foot 10 inch
Zabit- 6 foot 1 inch
Yair- 5 foot 11 inch

So Mark Hunt belongs at FW?

Gotcha...

TS is severely mislead and misinformed.

Both Conor and Holloway started at the FW, because it was their natural weight class. one crucial fact that was disregarded by TS is that the athletes, especially those who started competing early, grow bigger as they become older while training. Holloway was noticeably smaller than now when he fought Conor and Conor himself resembled a stick figure during the early days in his career at FW.

Last edited:
Not discrediting anything but he had a big size advantage over Mendes, Brandao, almost everyone. Except for Poirier. You can't deny that he was bigger than almost anyone he faced at that weight class. Dwarfing is a sherdog amplification, but you see my point
I agree that he was bigger, yes.

I’d give him props for going up two weight classes if he had actually done so. All he did is fight a fellow lightweight without cutting to the lightweight limit. We all saw what happened when Diaz fought actual welterweights, I suspect we’d have seen much the same with McGregor.

TS is not wrong.

Suicide cutting to fight midgets is how Conor made his name. In reality he's 2-1 against guys his own size and would have lost more had he not fled from 155 with his tail tucked.

Max's career might be over altogether.

After somebody dies the UFC might change shit.

So Mark Hunt belongs at FW?

Gotcha...

Point out where I said that? Reading comprehension is a beautiful thing, bud. I clearly stated the FW top 15. But by all means, bring up a HW that has nothing to do with anything I said. Comparing the FEATHERWEIGHTS, Conor barely has a size advantage.

Try harder next time.

Point out where I said that? Reading comprehension is a beautiful thing, bud. I clearly stated the FW top 15. But by all means, bring up a HW that has nothing to do with anything I said. Comparing the FEATHERWEIGHTS, Conor barely has a size advantage.

Try harder next time.
Yea, but the problem is your sole method of judging the size difference between the top 15 at FW was to just post their heights. Someones height is just one metric to judge their size lol.

There's plently of guys in the UFC in different weight classes that are the same height as all these guys. Which is why I brought up Mark Hunt, who's the same height as Max Holloway. Therefore using your logic, he should be the same weightclass

My point is, if you look at Conor McGregors frame, muscle girth, bodyfat percentage etc, you can pretty clearly see that he more than likely belongs in a different weightclass than say, Brian Ortega (even though he's just an inch taller). You can also look at someone's body and tell when they're sucking too much weight.

Back