37y BJJ white belt - broke finger, solo routine while healing

E-samurai

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys,

First off, not sure if I should post this here or in the strenght&cond. forum, but because it relates mostly to BJJ I decided to post here.

So I'm 37, super out of shape, super weak. Haven't done any real exercising in over 13 years. But I guess I know what training is as I used to do kickboxing, competed, had several amateur fights etc, but ofc it was aaages ago. So finally I decided to start working out again, found a BJJ gym last November, blew my mind. Went 3 to 4 times a week, lost 19 pounds, started getting in (relative) shape, and even though I'm still the worst white belt ever, I felt great, and just ignored my ego. Oh and BJJ is simply put mindblowing (why the f. did I wait this long).

Anyway... last Sunday... SNAP. Broke my left ring finger (nice long fracture). I now have a huge cast that immobilizes my wrist (I'm hoping they are removing it next week to put on a much smaller one). Doctor's orders: no BJJ for 2 to 3 months. Ugh.

So here's the routine I'm thinking of following in the meantime, taking in account my left hand is useless for now (no push ups etc). Do you guys have any feedack? I basically want to work out 3 times a week for one hour or less on my own. Maybe 4 times a week max.

DYNAMIC STRETCHES - 30 seconds each
CALF RAISES, SQUATS, WARRIOR LUNGES, HIP ROTATION, GATE WALKS, SIDE LUNGES

SOLO BJJ DRILLS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz3GMFc9AHU
(probably more than 3 times a week).
I can do everything except technical stand ups on the left side.

LEGS AND ABS – 15 minutes
Jumping lunges 1min
Abs 1min (Crunches or leg raises or knees-in+crunches)
Squats 1min
Abs 1min (Obliques or Crunches)
REST 1min
3x

BJJ STRETCHING: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeA9Z76deDo&t=1465s

Just finished it tonight. Felt pretty good, but kinda light, and it feels weird to not work the upper body.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Do that and you will come back in 2 months and not be the worst white belt ever.

Most important, come back

Just wrap it and go. Jean-Jacques Machado doesn't even have fingers.

Wow. Last time I broke my finger I just taped it up and kept training. The doc told me to buddy tape it and rest. I guess you had a serious fracture in there.

Now when I fractured my wrist I was out 3 months. Coming back after those 3 months was hell.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Wow. Last time I broke my finger I just taped it up and kept training. The doc told me to buddy tape it and rest. I guess you had a serious fracture in there.

Now when I fractured my wrist I was out 3 months. Coming back after those 3 months was hell.

I'm not sure the fracture was that serious though. The doc put a cast that immoblized my wrist, which kinda seemed like overkill but what do I know I'm not the doc. Anyway went in for an xray yesterday, had the cast removed, doc said it was healing up nicely, but still wanted to put a cast back on me for 1 month. I asked if it was really necessary, he said it was recommended to minimize risk, but it was my decision. So I said screw it, I'll just buddy tape it.

Dogstar, while you had a broken finger, did it hurt to make a fist and did you basically have NO strenght in your grip?

I'm thinking of going back to training but still not using my left hand for another 6 to 8 weeks.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm not sure the fracture was that serious though. The doc put a cast that immoblized my wrist, which kinda seemed like overkill but what do I know I'm not the doc. Anyway went in for an xray yesterday, had the cast removed, doc said it was healing up nicely, but still wanted to put a cast back on me for 1 month. I asked if it was really necessary, he said it was recommended to minimize risk, but it was my decision. So I said screw it, I'll just buddy tape it.

Dogstar, while you had a broken finger, did it hurt to make a fist and did you basically have NO strenght in your grip?

I'm thinking of going back to training but still not using my left hand for another 6 to 8 weeks.
It was painful but it was my pinky finger so it didn't effect me that much. I don't know how I would do with a fracture like that.

Try not to preface things with your age. It could start to become a built-in excuse to not be your best. Probably not the type of advice you were looking for?

Back