True or False: Anthony “Showtime” Pettis wins rematches vs Alvarez/Barboza

Njmma209

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I say true.

I thought Pettis beat Alvarez the first time around anyway. Since then Pettis has gone back to his roots of focusing on his offensive attack instead of defensive wrestling, while Eddies chin has gotten shakier.

He straight up lost to Barboza, but I believe he was gunshy due to being on a two fight skid before Edson. I like his chances at out striking Barboza in a rematch now that he is back on the winning track and confident again.

I’d even go as far to say that Pettis could very well beat Poirier in a rematch as well. He had him in some bad submission positions.
5B70C630-2B52-4068-8B13-031543BCE053.jpeg

Aldo smashes him

I say false.

Pettis is a great fighter, but those guys are still bad style match ups for him

I don't know about that.

Alvarez, maybe.

Barboza beat him pretty soundly at his own game.

I don't know about that.

Alvarez, maybe.

Barboza beat him pretty soundly at his own game.
It’s a shame the Poirier fight ended by a broken rib in a body triangle. That fight was an absolute war and I would’ve loved to see the last 2.5 rounds.

It’s a shame the Poirier fight ended by a broken rib in a body triangle. That fight was an absolute war and I would’ve loved to see the last 2.5 rounds.

I wouldn't mind seeing that one again.

He could beat Alvarez but he's not beating Barboza. Barboza dominated him and would do so again.

I'll say false, I think Showtime's days as a title contender are done. But stranger things have happened.

Pettis looks like a totally different fighter when he throws caution to the wind and just fights on his instincts. He was trying to gameplan too much and focus on not getting taken down instead of relying on his dangerous guard as he always had in the past. A loose pettis is a dangerous out for any LW on the planet outside of Khabib.

False, classic sherdog, people underrated Pettis after his losses and now want to overrated him after a win. Hes still a lower top ten fighter but not a title contender.

pettis isn't what he used to be. he's still a damn good fighter, but isn't elite anymore. i don't see him beating anyone in the top 5 right now. he still has damn good striking and submissions, but he gets touched a lot now.

False

He already beat Alvarez. Another robbery that favored lay n pray

Pettis got a win but he still looked fat, small & weak at 155 & without peds he's a gatekeeper, he isn't beating anybody relevant.

I do believe he could beat Eddie even today. But I believe it would be another close fight that could go either way.

I feel Edson would beat him similarly in a rematch. Pettis still needs to stand at kickboxing range to get his best weapons off, which is where Edson picked him apart last time.

What can Pettis do differently to beat Edson? It’s not like his boxing will suddenly, finally improve and he becomes good at fighting in the pocket and using forward pressure. Unfortunately, Pettis just isn’t going to improve these aspects of his game.

Edson leg kicks him to death again.

He'll only beat Eddie but Barboza will beat him like how he did last time on the feet.

He looks like top 10 guy for sure but dont know abou top 5 yet.

Barboza fight would be more competitive. Anthony seems way more focused, he got to spoiled with all that money. Alot of fighter fight better when their broke

I say true.

I thought Pettis beat Alvarez the first time around anyway. Since then Pettis has gone back to his roots of focusing on his offensive attack instead of defensive wrestling, while Eddies chin has gotten shakier.

He straight up lost to Barboza, but I believe he was gunshy due to being on a two fight skid before Edson. I like his chances at out striking Barboza in a rematch now that he is back on the winning track and confident again.

I’d even go as far to say that Pettis could very well beat Poirier in a rematch as well. He had him in some bad submission positions.
View attachment 407867

False.

I do believe he could beat Eddie even today. But I believe it would be another close fight that could go either way.

I feel Edson would beat him similarly in a rematch. Pettis still needs to stand at kickboxing range to get his best weapons off, which is where Edson picked him apart last time.

What can Pettis do differently to beat Edson? It’s not like his boxing will suddenly, finally improve and he becomes good at fighting in the pocket and using forward pressure. Unfortunately, Pettis just isn’t going to improve these aspects of his game.

Edson leg kicks him to death again.

Good analysis, Barboza's still got the best kicking game at lw. The way to beat him is grappling or boxing. Pettis boxing still is poor and he has almost no wrestling to speak of. Edson just a bad match up for him

no and no.

the guy beat chiesa ffs, and chiesa's standup is non-existant plus he fought like a fucking clown.

why are some people acting like pettis is 'back' after beating fuckin chiesa? lmao.

Back