Cormier retiring next year — what will become of the belts?

Rebel_LioN

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
So assuming he’s granted his easy payday with Lesnar for his HW defense, he’ll have at least one more fight in him as he’s mentioned before.

Who does he fight next?

And what will happen if/when he vacates with one or both titles? What do you think the LHW and HW landscape will look like?

I am not 100% convinced he goes back down to LHW.

I see Gus getting that strap tbh.

He should just vacate the LHW already. Let Gus and Volkan fight for it at 227. Focus his last fight or two at only Heavyweight.

Last edited:
They should just merge the divisions

I am not 100% convinced he goes back down to LHW.

I see Gus getting that strap tbh.

Yeah it’ll be a tough call to go from 250 back down to 205 for a retirement fight at age 40.

I guess interims for everybody, Oprah style.

DC will fight Brock next and then supposedly one fight after that, so I suspect it's at HW if he wins and LHW if he loses. Not sure there's any big money there and his legacy is cemented. Unless he could fight Jones of course. Hard to believe he wouldn't take that one.

We all know DC prefers HW, now that he's gone in there again at HW he knows he prefers that. He might like the idea of defending two belts but I really doubt he will.
Now the LHW lost it's top 3 guys that were clearly better than the rest of the division. With Jones out indefinitely and DC likely moving up maybe Rumble should entertain a come back.

If he retires with both belts, the UFC has the option to do something they haven't done in a long time. Tournaments. Not bullshit TUF tourneys, real GP's with top ranked fighters. These assholes want people to get interested again? No better way to get it done than have GP's at the two weight classes the general public cares about the most. They've been squandering this for years and years now.

DC has said he is done in March
The Brock fight cannot be before Jan 9th
So I don't see a fight after Brock

They should just merge the divisions

tbh you are right most 185ers are 215-240 pound guys anyways hell im a 170and im 200 out of camp the frames of middle weight lhw and hw arnt that much different tbh comes down to muscle added and body fat

Jones collects both upon his return

UnnaturalGrimyBullfrog-max-1mb.gif

Honestly if Rumble were smart he’d get his Huell lookin ass back in shape and start dieting asap. If he ever dreamed of being a UFC champion (of course he has) that dream can become reality real soon. He’s either fucked up everyone in the current top 5 and would so again in a rematch and the ones that were lucky enough to avoid him like Volkan or Latifi would get KTFO as well.

1531445987298.jpg

Lettitor_huell-money-breaking-bad_opt_dajywp.jpg

DC has said he is done in March
The Brock fight cannot be before Jan 9th
So I don't see a fight after Brock
He did hint that he might consider hanging round a bit longer if Jones got 2 years and could compete mid year, think it was at the press conference. The thing is Jones can't apply for a license until his USADA suspension is completed so even if he does get 2 years it may take longer than that to get him cleared to compete.
We just have to wait and see what happens with that and results in LHW fights. If Anthony Smith beats Shogun and Volkan beats Gus there isn't really anything for him there.
If he retires with both belts I'd say we're more likely to see contenders matched up at HW and LHW than any drawn out GPs.

I wish they'd somehow schedule that Brock fight for the NYE card. Cormier retires after he whoops Brock, and we get mini tourneys for both the LHW and HW belts.

Jones goes horsemeat and takes them belts

So assuming he’s granted his easy payday with Lesnar for his HW defense, he’ll have at least one more fight in him as he’s mentioned before.

Who does he fight next?

And what will happen if/when he vacates with one or both titles? What do you think the LHW and HW landscape will look like?

Brawk gets belt! RAWWWW!!!

what if Brock beats him and takes belt?? all settled?

DC quite rightly wants two biggest paydays possible then he will drive off into the sunset

Volkov vs Blaydes for the paper HW championship

Gus vs Shogun/Smith winner for the paper-paper LHW championship

Back