Did anyone enjoy the Bermudez/Glenn judging last night?

Rebel_LioN

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Nothing against Bermudez but I would love for judging to be consistently like this where pointless takedowns doesn’t count as the end-all be-all for a winning round.

I wish every commission adopted this rule because when people try to stall out and neutralize a fight to where nobody is doing anything, it shouldn’t count in judging IMO.

It’ll make for much better clear cut winners when they use this criteria.

I agree

Takedowns without advancing position or effective striking shouldn't be scored as anything other then stalling

Yea it looked like bermudez was about to lay into the judges too but Bo Logan just pulled the microphone away and shood

I still view takedowns as having merit as they are an offensive maneuver with built in risk. They should be rewarded because of the risk related to them, imo.

I get where you're coming from, but should we reward the guy who couldn't stop the takedown instead? I agree that a takedown alone should not count for much, but in a razor close round, it can easily be the deciding factor. Unfortunately, it's difficult to judge the effectiveness of strikes, a takedown with control is very easy to see.

The judges absolutely got it right. If Glenn wasn't landing all of those elbows from the bottom then the decision should have gone to Bermudez based on control. The difference is the damage that occurred while they were on the ground. Bermudez barely landed any strikes while he had Glenn down and laid on top of him eating elbows. Bermudez tried to lay n pray to squeak out a decision and it backfired on him.

I still view takedowns as having merit as they are an offensive maneuver with built in risk. They should be rewarded because of the risk related to them, imo.
I believe that even with that Glenn did enough to take the first two rounds.

If Bermudez had been more active with his strikes in the second, that could have swayed the judges. His body language didn't help him either, seemed like every other strike from Rick put him off balance, even when blocked.

Agree. Just because GNP and submission attempts don't always follow, it doesn't mean TDs should count for nothing.

I’m not saying TDs shouldn’t be counted but if a guy outstrikes someone for 4 mins of a round, but gets taken down at the last instance, it shouldn’t erase the entire round of the guy who was winning the fight just because of a empty takedown.

These are the same judges that scored Said vs Scoggins? OK ill play. But then where is the consistency?

I’m not saying TDs shouldn’t be counted but if a guy outstrikes someone for 4 mins of a round, but gets taken down at the last instance, it shouldn’t erase the entire round of the guy who was winning the fight just because of a empty takedown.

Are we sure that's a thing that happens though?

Or do people like to think it happens because it gives them an angle to whine about "stealing the round with a takedown" being a thing?

Mike.gif

By the way, I think this guy's dad was reffing the Zingano/Reneau fight...

cat-zingano-marion-reneau-ufc-fight-night-133-7.jpg

It does seem like the judging is swaying more to the striking side when takedowns happen but are generally ineffective. I do actually kind of like the way some of the judging has been going when considering all that, but it's too inconsistent from place to place.

I'm cool with mitigating lay and pray, it just needs to be scored consistently. Like you said, in another state
Bermudez could get the nod.

No, the judges were awful. And if takedowns were so pointless, then the judges that scored Bermudez's fight with Fili were way off, since Bermudez outstruck him 103-80 and Fili did next to nothing with his takedowns.

Nothing against Bermudez but I would love for judging to be consistently like this where pointless takedowns doesn’t count as the end-all be-all for a winning round.

I wish every commission adopted this rule because when people try to stall out and neutralize a fight to where nobody is doing anything, it shouldn’t count in judging IMO.

It’ll make for much better clear cut winners when they use this criteria.

I didn't enjoy seeing the wrong person win.

I thought it was 100% the right call. Glenn landed all the meaningful shots in the 1st 2 rounds.

I thought it was a good call. You cant just spam TD's, do fuck all with them, and win a fight. Fuck that...it's about damage.

Back