Cejudo Inspired By Colby Covington, Embraces Villain Role

NandoMoura

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
DP66BEEXcAIDOHM.jpg

Cejudo, 31, said he was confident he’d be next in line if Johnson vs. Dillashaw didn’t come to fruition, but also felt the need to make sure he would be. Because of that, Cejudo poked at the champ on social media, challenging him to sign the bout agreement and promising things wouldn’t go down the same way they did the first time. It was somewhat out of character for him, but in the modern day of MMA, Cejudo is aware that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

“In MMA, it’s a sport, but it’s entertainment, too. Look at Colby Covington. The guy can fight and the guy can talk. To a lot of people he just grinds people out, and many people consider him boring, but because he opens his mouth, people want to watch him fight. A lot of people want to see him win, a lot of people want to see him lose. There’s more eyes on him. I’ve learned that in MMA it’s the entertainment side. I’m grasping that from now on. If I have to pick on somebody to get the fight, then that’s what I have to do, especially for the flyweight division.”

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/06/henry...eate-storyline-for-demetrious-johnson-rematch

Villains win

Bet the mortgage and the jet skis on Cejudo.

That's the right attitude. Not everyone has talent at creating popcorn, but everyone should use their brief time in the spotlight to give it their best shot. Regardless if he succeeds or fails, as long as he makes a decent effort in insulting people and creating drama Chael Sonnen would be proud of him, I would be proud of him.

Enough with the roles and gimmicks. Just be yourself. What happened to this?

e374c03522caca58c07164964ded6e0c.jpg

DP66BEEXcAIDOHM.jpg

Cejudo, 31, said he was confident he’d be next in line if Johnson vs. Dillashaw didn’t come to fruition, but also felt the need to make sure he would be. Because of that, Cejudo poked at the champ on social media, challenging him to sign the bout agreement and promising things wouldn’t go down the same way they did the first time. It was somewhat out of character for him, but in the modern day of MMA, Cejudo is aware that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

“In MMA, it’s a sport, but it’s entertainment, too. Look at Colby Covington. The guy can fight and the guy can talk. To a lot of people he just grinds people out, and many people consider him boring, but because he opens his mouth, people want to watch him fight. A lot of people want to see him win, a lot of people want to see him lose. There’s more eyes on him. I’ve learned that in MMA it’s the entertainment side. I’m grasping that from now on. If I have to pick on somebody to get the fight, then that’s what I have to do, especially for the flyweight division.”

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/06/henry...eate-storyline-for-demetrious-johnson-rematch

Nothing he said was controversial, entertaining, or triggering in any way whatsoever he sucks.

he better try real hard cuz last time dj flicked out a knee and cejudo flopped to the ground, and i was highly disappointed

I don't know why he is using Colby as a role model, he isn't even a big draw.

Saw Henry lose at junior nationals and act like a bitch afterwards. Hope he gets embarrassed by mighty duck.

Enough with the roles and gimmicks. Just be yourself. What happened to this?

e374c03522caca58c07164964ded6e0c.jpg

This is prize fighting, you're in it to make money and you make more by getting more attention.

In team sports Football, Soccer etc you get paid more by being the best.

In MMA you can be a top guy but if you're boring you can get cut after a single loss e.g. Fitch, Shields, Okami etc

That's the fight business.

Exactly.tell Mighty Mouse you fucked his mother just to get his juices flowing

I was rooting for Cejudo but oh well, I guess I will enjoy when MM smash him even faster this time

He talked himself into a title fight pretty quick despite being perceived as a boring wrestler. A year ago no one was talking about Colby.

Colby pay for ufc Fight Night 119: 39/39
Colby pay for his next fight at UFC 225: At least 200k just to show up.

Why would anyone want to quadruple their guaranteed pay? It’s a mystery.

Back