Josh Barnett's official statement after leaving the UFC. *Long Read*

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score

To Lands Unknown and Uncoquered. To Battles yet fought - I have Left the UFC.

JOSH BARNETT·SUNDAY, JUNE 24, 2018

A Career as long as mine can take many paths or even change direction altogether at times. This is one of those times. No one thought I would ever be back in the UFC given the tumultuous relationship that we had had in the past, but for 5 fights and 5 years, that's precisely where I have been. I have very much enjoyed my time there. The UFC has been a wonderful experience the second time around and together we have done great things.

Although I am sure we could continue to do so, I feel that it's time for me to take another path. They have great fighters and the biggest platform in the world so why would I want to leave? The UFC has a structure in place to create their stories, their way, and it's a good way, but it's not my way – it's not my story. The call for adventure is still within me, and I wish to exercise it. I long to go back more to the way of the early days of MMA, traveling the world to exotic places fighting in different rules, rings or cages or who knows what, fighters that have been under the radar; the unknown. There are so many athletes and places that I want to fight, and by going my own way, I will have the ability to try and create that story and make these opportunities a reality, a reality I wouldn't have been able to make if I stayed in the UFC.

The debacle with USADA over the last year and a half has also influenced my decision to exit the UFC. Their dogged insistence to punish me for what they absolutely knew was an issue of contamination was unethical. By trying to manufacture any reason they could legitimize to increase sanctions against me was unacceptable. For their stance to necessitate my retaining counsel and do legal battle with them in the presence of an arbitrator was unnecessary. They preferred an adversarial to a just and fair process. I cannot in good conscience trust them to act in good faith or perhaps may even wish to look to enact some sort of vengeance in an attempt to cancel out my victory against them in arbitration. It's not the kind of environment that I want to spend the final years of my career in.

I would like to go beyond the bureaucracy by leaving the UFC. I hope I will be able to create the fights I want, compete in grappling, professional wrestling and take on opportunities as I can create and manage in the way that I wish to. As a piece in the UFC puzzle, I would have had to work for their narrative and designs on their timeline – as one should expect. There are a lot of stories left to tell with my career, and I want to be the one to determine them without influence. To do that fully I need to go it alone, I have to be the architect of my destiny. To traversing battlefields far and wide. The UFC has been very good to me and a great place to fight, but what time I have left in this sport I need to be the one calling the shots and creating the battle plans. I hear the call for high adventure and I will oblige.
Onward into countless battles.

The Warmaster

Good luck to him, I'll be watching.

I'm happy for Barnett. I hope to see him fight again, too. I can't blame him for wanting out, and I totally understand why he doesn't want to be in business with USADA.

His second UFC stint was fun. His losses were tough to swallow, but his wins were important for his legacy. He took out two UFC champions from his era (Mir, Arlvoski) and solidified his spot in the top 5 HWs of his time.

I'd take what he's saying about USADA seriously if he'd never tested positive pre-USADA. Hell, if he only tested positive once pre-USADA I'd still give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe even two times.

Barnett going for that Bellator strap.

I like Josh, he is a tough, intelligent fighter that has the articulation and personality that helps the unfamiliar public see the sport through a different lens. That being said, the fact that he took a defensive and accusatory position against the USDA is comical. Taking into account his history of PED usage and the fact that he was busted during a period of time in which drug tests were easier to pass than a devry course -- he really has no real credibility to claim he was treated "unethically" in this latest case.

Good luck Josh, I fully support your desire to fight in lands and organizations that allow you to melt piss cups, just wish you went out being honest about it.

That was a bad ass way to bounce out.

Would be awesome to see him in Bellator.

From what seemed like a fledgling company, Bellator has definitely picked up some steam and talent these last X years.

I'd take what he's saying about USADA seriously if he'd never tested positive pre-USADA. Hell, if he only tested positive once pre-USADA I'd still give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe even two times.

Always on point, Louis.

lets be honest

what this translates to: I'm tired of fighting the best guys in the world and know its not going to work out well for me, so I'm leaving to fight guys more around my level.

Huge Josh fan but cmon..

IM SO GLAD.

i always wanted to see the round-robin grappling based mma fight between, he, Werdum and Mir (yes, i know he took mIr out via standup)

I think the best Barnett beats either of the best of them in any contest,

his exit gives me reason to believe we still see this, as Werdum wont be back to UFC.

what this translates to: I'm tired of fighting the best guys in the world and know its not going to work out well for me, so I'm leaving to fight guys more around my level.

Huge Josh fan but cmon..

it doesnt remotely translate to that.

familiarize yourself with how he spent the last 2 yrs,
and actually WON against USADA.

its unprecedented.

Last edited:
lets be honest

Huge Josh fan but cmon..

What are you talking about ? I'd bet money on Barnett to beat any HW today. The guy has more experience and fights IQ than anyone in the divison, and who has better grappling ? Maybe Werdum but that's about it.

GTFOH.

This guy is THE most notorious and unrepentant drug cheat in the sport. It shows how little he thinks of the newbies in the audience nowadays that he is grandstanding and pontificating about USADA, as if he wasn’t busted by multiple state commissions even before USADA existed. I guess those were all tainted supplements too? And WTF is “uncoquered”?

Bye, Drugmaster.

I like Josh, he is a tough, intelligent fighter that has the articulation and personality that helps the unfamiliar public see the sport through a different lens. That being said, the fact that he took a defensive and accusatory position against the USDA is comical. Taking into account his history of PED usage and the fact that he was busted during a period of time in which drug tests were easier to pass than a devry course -- he really has no real credibility to claim he was treated "unethically" in this latest case.

Good luck Josh, I fully support your desire to fight in lands and organizations that allow you to melt piss cups, just wish you went out being honest about it.

Very good post

Crazy coincidence the guy who has pissed hot over and over for roids has found another way to get them into his system. Contaminated my fucking ass.

What are you talking about ? I'd bet money on Barnett to beat any HW today. The guy has more experience and fights IQ than anyone in the divison, and who has better grappling ? Maybe Werdum but that's about it.
You cant be serious bro. Any HW today? Stipe??? JDS??? Cain? Hell even Francis would probably knock his head off.

Look I am a HUGE fan of Josh. Sincerely. But he wouldnt leave if he thought he had a great chance at getting the HW belt. He just wouldnt. unless another org has already offered him huge paychecks.

Josh would rather get some paychecks against lower level fighters were he can compete with no USADA. Let just call it like it is. He's not beating Stipe etc with USADA in play.

it doesnt reotely translate to that.

familiarize yourself with how he spent the last 2 yrs,
and actually WON.

its unprecedented.

I'm just saying he wouldnt leave if he had a chance at the title, but Josh is a really smart guy and knows his chances are extremely low with USADA in play. USADA may have been wrong this time, but the dude has still popped 3-4 times legitimately.

Back