Are Stipe's opponents "that" impressive in retrospect.

The Natural Born Runner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I previously created a thread called "Is Stipe Miocic Overrated", and I mapped out my thoughts on who he had beaten and how they may be a little past it, I think it's now worth revisiting this idea.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/is-stipe-miocic-overrated.3615989/#post-133703029

First off, you can only beat who's put in front of you, so with that said we all know that Miocic has a great resume. He's a good fighter, tough son of a bitch and has been very consistent as of late.

On the flip side, we all know how bad the Heavyweight division is and I think we fall in love with the names and memories of these fighters. Overeem used to be great, dos Santos used to be great, Werdum used to be great - but all these guys are completely over the hill at this stage.

I'll be very interested to see Stipe fight DC, and perhaps Volkov and Blaydes somewhere down the line. I feel like he has been very fortunate in terms of when he has fought these guys and also who he's fought in some sense also. Roy Nelson is a poor excuse for an athlete, a guy who could probably make Light Heavyweight with any semblance of a diet, Mark Hunt is a fan favourite but if we keep it real has no grappling skill, Arlovski is a slow, plodding, over the hill striker, Fabricio is over the hill, Overeem has no chin left, dos Santos looks like a shell of himself since USADA showed up and Ngannou has literally zero grappling skill also. Is it too much to ask for a well rounded fighter to show up for once?

Wouldn't it have been great to see him against Velasquez? I genuinely feel like that would have been the perfect match-up to see him in, and it looks like we'll never get that now.

I'll leave you with the records of the fighters he beat since he beat them:

Roy Nelson - 4-7
Mark Hunt - 3-3
Andrei Arlovski - 2-5
Fabricio Werdum - 3-2 (All 3 wins were over very mediocre talent)
Alistair Overeem - 2-2
Junior dos Santos - 0-0 (Fighting an unranked opponent in his next fight)
Francis Ngannou - 0-0 (Fighting Derrick Lewis next)

I think Stipe is a product of a very, very, very bad division.

Last edited:
I previously created a thread called "Is Stipe Miocic Overrated", and I mapped out my thoughts on who he had beaten and how they may be a little past it, I think it's now worth revisiting this idea.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/is-stipe-miocic-overrated.3615989/#post-133703029

First off, you can only beat who's put in front of you, so with that said we all know that Miocic has a great resume. He's a good fighter, tough son of a bitch and has been very consistent as of late.

On the flip side, we all know how bad the Heavyweight division is and I think we fall in love with the names and memories of these fighters. Overeem used to be great, dos Santos used to be great, Werdum used to be great - but all these guys are completely over the hill at this stage.

I'll be very interested to see Stipe fight DC, and perhaps Volkov and Blaydes somewhere down the line. I feel like he has been very fortunate in terms of when he has fought these guys and also who he's fought in some sense also. Ngannou having literally zero grappling skill, Overeem having close to zero gas tank and absolutely zero fortitude within his jawline, dos Santos being ridiculously inactive and looking like a shell of himself.

Wouldn't it have been great to see him against Velasquez? I genuinely feel like that would have been the perfect match-up to see him in, and it looks like we'll never get that now.

I'll leave you with the records of the fighters he beat since he beat them:

Roy Nelson - 4-7
Mark Hunt - 3-3
Andrei Arlovski - 2-5
Fabricio Werdum - 3-2
Alistair Overeem - 2-2
Junior dos Santos - 0-0 (Fighting an unranked opponent in his next fight)
Francis Ngannou - 0-0 (Fighting Derrick Lewis next)

I think Stipe is a product of a very, very, very bad division.

Well, the fact he is fighting LHW champ next agrees with your assertion his division is bad.

Stipe Miocic is the "Chris Weidman" of Heavyweight.

Decent, mediocre all-round talent - but right place at the right time. Beats up old, injured, deflated legends.

Stipe Miocic is the "Chris Weidman" of Heavyweight.

Decent, mediocre all-round talent - but right place at the right time. Beats up old, injured, deflated legends.
You put it very well. This is not a hate thread at all, I'm just being honest with my visions here.

The lack of respect Stipe gets on here given what he's accomplished in the last 4 years is fucking staggering

Even for Sherdog, which has a proud tradition of not respecting anyone until they've been out of their prime for 5+ years

The lack of respect Stipe gets on here given what he's accomplished in the last 4 years is fucking staggering

Even for Sherdog, which has a proud tradition of not respecting anyone until they've been out of their prime for 5+ years
I respect his achievements, I recognise that he has been something we are not accustomed to, which is a consistent Heavyweight. That said, I don't think he's some unstoppable force with skills for days.

I think he has some semblance of boxing skill and understands the fundamentals of defense and head movement, unlike Werdum, Overeem and dos Santos. I remember a time where Junior dos Santos' boxing looked incredible for an MMA fighter, but when you see him back up with his hands down and his chin in the sky time and time again, you start to smell the coffee.

Stipe also has some solid wrestling. Enough to beat on big guys with no floor skills like Hunt and Ngannou, as well as good enough to stop Overeem or Werdum from submitting him. That said, he's not faced one elite wrestler, actually, not even a half decent one.

I just want to see a challenge, that's all.

it is a row of legends. IDK what's your definition of legendary.
I guess Joe Calzaghe also has a legendary resume? When his last 4 fights were his biggest and they were all a bunch of over the hill guys with legendary status?

It's easy to beat up on the old guys when they are over the hill. The resume looks great, but you have to be honest about how good those fighters were when you fought them.

he's not faced one elite wrestler, actually, not even a half decent one.

I just want to see a challenge, that's all.

He fought Werdum after he submitted Fedor's and Cain's ass. He fought Ngannou who all hype train BS aside is one of the more heavy handed guys in this game. Now he is fighting DC. Isn't DC your "elite" wrestler? Will that fight prove something to you?

I guess Ngannou is "too raw".

Werdum coming of a 6 win streak including his last two oppoentns being Hunt and Cain and on one of the best runs of his resurging career, is "too old".

I guess when every old fighter loses, they were out of their primes according to Sherdog....

So now Cain was just a mediocre fighter..
Yeah no point in arguing with people like the TS. He doesn't like Stipe so he's out to prove he isn't good, whether or not his arguments are stupid. One of the worst kinds of posters

For anyone who wants a reminder of how bad some of his opponents are, please watch this.

I love Overeem, but I'm tired of his K1 championship being brought up as a qualifier of how amazing his striking is. The guys is straight up trash these days and is making a habit of being brutally KO'd.

He literally gasses inside of 2 minutes in this fight and throws a total of about 10 strikes. Even with that small output, he manages to put Stipe on his ass. Also, go back and remind yourself of how bad the performances of Werdum (running straight forward with no defense), Ngannou (gassed worse than any fighter I've ever seen), dos Santos (didn't even put his hands up) were.

Not as impressive as Zuluzinho man don't worry your idol is safe we all adore him.

TS is right Stipe makes everyone look bad. I'm sure DC is old and washed up and never that good at HW and couldn't even finish Mir and what other BS after July 7th.

I mean he merked all of them except Ngannou during this run..it would be an impressive KO run even if it wasn't by the HW champ. He's about to add DC to the list too

Back