Possible Jon Jones loophole to fight overseas

Alpha_T83

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
So I've realized that Jon Jones *might* be able to fight overseas, either with or without the UFC, in the next year. Basically, Jon Jones isn't actually suspended right now. He's just lost his MMA license in the United States. Until he accepts a deal with USADA's arbiters, he's not officially suspended.

This of course opens the door for the UFC to have him fight (say vs Lesnar) overseas. Obviously the host country's athletic commissions would need to approve this. However, I'm sure the UFC can find some venues which wouldn't care about his test results & USA MMA license situation.

This is why I think his situation is dragging on so long -- because USADA wants to give him 4 years, and he'd rather not accept that. And the UFC would also be in hot water with USADA having Jones fight overseas despite his positive test results. Thus, I think both the Jon Jones camp and the UFC are putting pressure on USADA to reduce his suspension to 2 years, so he can fight Lesnar legitimately in the US.

But if USADA and/or the UFC don't play ball, Jon Jones could sue for release from his contract and fight in Japan. Depending on the judge he gets, some judges will say he has a right to earn a living. If the UFC is unable to offer him a fight overseas in Japan, then he has a right to be released from his contract and test the open market.

So you're basically saying Jones has huge legal battles upcoming regardless of how the USADA ruling turns out.

Meanwhile, DC takes Jones' spot (and millions) against Stipe.

If you know anything about the history of the ufc, contracts etc, you would know he is NOT Fighting anywhere until his mess is handled

If he did this while in the UFC, it would destroy the UFC's relationship with the commission so bad our sport would look unprofessional. A complete joke.

Lorenzo's UFC wouldn't cross the athletic commissions.

Who knows if the current ownership would.

No, Jones is absolutely officially suspended. He just hasn't gotten his official sanction yet. He has a provisional suspension under section 7.7 of the anti doping policy until it gets resolved at a hearing.

Pretty sure he is suspended under the WADA agency (or anti doping laws) since USADA operates, technically, under WADA protocols.

Depending on the judge he gets, some judges will say he has a right to earn a living. If the UFC is unable to offer him a fight overseas in Japan, then he has a right to be released from his contract and test the open market.

This is an interesting point, the right to earn a living is guaranteed by the constitution, but also goes way back to common law. Many strict constructionist judges could rule in his favor re to that. The problem lies in the fact that Nevada falls under the jurisdiction of the 9th circuit, which ain't exactly filled with strict constructionists.

So I've realized that Jon Jones *might* be able to fight overseas, either with or without the UFC, in the next year. Basically, Jon Jones isn't actually suspended right now. He's just lost his MMA license in the United States. Until he accepts a deal with USADA's arbiters, he's not officially suspended.

This of course opens the door for the UFC to have him fight (say vs Lesnar) overseas. Obviously the host country's athletic commissions would need to approve this. However, I'm sure the UFC can find some venues which wouldn't care about his test results & USA MMA license situation.

This is why I think his situation is dragging on so long -- because USADA wants to give him 4 years, and he'd rather not accept that. And the UFC would also be in hot water with USADA having Jones fight overseas despite his positive test results. Thus, I think both the Jon Jones camp and the UFC are putting pressure on USADA to reduce his suspension to 2 years, so he can fight Lesnar legitimately in the US.

But if USADA and/or the UFC don't play ball, Jon Jones could sue for release from his contract and fight in Japan. Depending on the judge he gets, some judges will say he has a right to earn a living. If the UFC is unable to offer him a fight overseas in Japan, then he has a right to be released from his contract and test the open market.

might you mean cant fight cause the ufc would say no fucking way.

he cant sue cause in contracts it says it your suspeneded for peds your contract if frozen.

there nothing that can stop jon jones from getting a job at Walmart.

also why would ufc allow brock as well to fight each other in rizin. they wouldn't get any money from it and there the black mark it is letting 2 conformed peds users cheat the system.

So you're basically saying Jones has huge legal battles upcoming regardless of how the USADA ruling turns out.

Meanwhile, DC takes Jones' spot (and millions) against Stipe.

maybe jon should of risked his career taking peds.

This is an interesting point, the right to earn a living is guaranteed by the constitution, but also goes way back to common law. Many strict constructionist judges could rule in his favor re to that. The problem lies in the fact that Nevada falls under the jurisdiction of the 9th circuit, which ain't exactly filled with strict constructionists.

nothing stopping jon from getting a normal day to day job.

The commission left it up to USADA to carry out the sentence. So what UFC could theoretically do is abolish USADA. Then the athletic commission just hands out the typical 1 year sentence, but Jones gets time served. Then he could fight again in the United States. But if they abolished USADA. That would make the UFC look bad. Bad PR. Because UFC wanted USADA. There is a reason why other sports self regulate when it comes to ped use.

tenor.gif

Bravo! Pretty much everything you spewed is incorrect.

Impressive in your idiocy!

No, Jones is absolutely officially suspended. He just hasn't gotten his official sanction yet. He has a provisional suspension under section 7.7 of the anti doping policy until it gets resolved at a hearing.

Maybe I'm wrong about the technicality of it, but I thought USADA handled the testing and recommended sanctions, but didn't actually directly impose those sanctions. In other words, USADA tests a fighter and recommends a 2-year suspension and the UFC + athletic commissions follow their recommendations. So technically, if the UFC wanted to, they could disregard any indefinite suspension that USADA suggest for Jones and have him fight in Japan. Especially since the CSAC didn't suspend him.

However, I agree with most other posters that the UFC wouldn't cross USADA and have Jon Jones fight outside the US. Despite the CSAC not suspending him, this would probably damage their relations with the US athletic commissions. But I'm never surprised by WME's willingness to make long-term sacrifices for a short-term profit.

Bravo! Pretty much everything you spewed is incorrect.

Impressive in your idiocy!
How so? Care to state specifics about what you think is factually incorrect? Otherwise you're just a troll job.

The commission left it up to USADA to carry out the sentence. So what UFC could theoretically do is abolish USADA. Then the athletic commission just hands out the typical 1 year sentence, but Jones gets time served. Then he could fight again in the United States. But if they abolished USADA. That would make the UFC look bad. Bad PR. Because UFC wanted USADA. There is a reason why other sports self regulate when it comes to ped use.

I think I agree with you that the UFC would look bad if they had Jon Jones fight before his problems are resolved with USADA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartoonq123
Back