Stipe vs DC: Legacy

cgold21

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
This fight has me pretty intrigued. I don’t think DC will win, but if he did, would it do more to build his legacy or would it do more harm to Stipe’s legacy?

Honestly, more harm to Stipe's. He's a great fighter regardless of what happens, but a lot of ppl would be like "He only beat old, washed up dudes in the worst division in MMA", esp. Fedor fans.

DC still has the Jones cloud hanging over his head, whether or not it's fair is another thing.

Honestly, more harm to Stipe's. He's a great fighter regardless of what happens, but a lot of ppl would be like "He only beat old, washed up dudes in the worst division in MMA", esp. Fedor fans.

DC still has the Jones cloud hanging over his head, whether or not it's fair is another thing.
One of the main factors to Stipe's wins are his age and how relatively fresh he is compared to the his peers at HW. The division is still populated by some dudes fighting over 15+ years and are somehow still relevant in the division.

Stipe/Blaydes imo is interesting if he loses this one against DC.

Dc's legacy is there. a loss to a cheater doesnt dimish his lhw goatness.

Tell that to DC because he doesn't seem to believe it

It would be one thing if his only loss was to Jones when he failed his drug test (like when Randy lost to Barnett for example who then failed his test and left the UFC).

But he got beaten twice. Also wouldn't Jones have been in the USADA test pool for the first fight with DC? I thought they had to be in the pool a minimum of 6 months before being cleared to fight and he fought DC the first time a little over 5 months before USADA went live.

To clarify, I am not clear on if there was preemptive testing before its actual launch in July 1, 2015.

DC win is a huge feather in his cap. DC loss = he was never going to win

Stipe win cements him as a weak champ who is just good enough to beat old guys or untested guys. Stipe loss is a real black eye.

Tell that to DC because he doesn't seem to believe it.
DC has said again and again that he isn't happy about the way he got the belt. But he can't change the fact that Jones was too scared of him to fight clean.

This fight has me pretty intrigued. I don’t think DC will win, but if he did, would it do more to build his legacy or would it do more harm to Stipe’s legacy?

Until DC beats Jon Jones he'll always be second best. If he beats Stipe it'll just mean Jones would trash Stipe that much harder and he's overrated as the "best UFC HW of all time". You don't build your legacy as a prize fighter when you're a paper champ and your best "wins" are by hit and run and PED bust of your opponent.

Stipe Has to win. The pressure is really all on him. DC is an all-time great fighter but his legacy still to me is all about the losses to Jones. Yes the Jones haters go on and on about steroids, but DC did not get that job done. A win here would elevate him. But I don’t think he wins.

Somebody else would have to come along around the same age as Jones and dominate like he did. Until that happens Jones is the best of all time in that division and still arguably the best fighter of all time. He just accomplished too much.

Stipe Has to win. The pressure is really all on him. DC is an all-time great fighter but his legacy still to me is all about the losses to Jones. Yes the Jones haters go on and on about steroids, but DC did not get that job done. A win here would elevate him. But I don’t think he wins.

I agree, DC is on the verge of retiring. If he loses, he retires having lost to the most dominant HW champ in UFC history.

If Stipe loses, it really damages his brand.

DC's legacy for now will be defined by losing to Jones, regardless of Stipe. In the future, he will be known for losing only to Jones, then venturing back to HW.

I agree, DC is on the verge of retiring. If he loses, he retires having lost to the most dominant HW champ in UFC history.

If Stipe loses, it really damages his brand.

It’s a hell of an interesting fight. I can’t wait to see it.

There is some truth to that, but regardless, beating old DC, werdum, JDS, and reem are still really good wins. They'd just be great wins if they were in their prime.

Back