Do you root for fighters based on nationality?

Matty da Ranga

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well, do you?

As someone from down under, I always root for Aussies but I know a lot of people (especially Americans) don't really root for fellow Muricanz. They usually root for people from their country of origin lol

I tend to take notice but still decide whether I like them.
Had GSot not been Australian I wouldn’t have known him. Being Australian I looked out for him, then thought he was a dickhead so didn’t like him.

I guess US fans root based on state,For me I ofcourse root the pride of the Turkiye
gokhan-saki-of-netherlands-poses-for-a-portrait-backstage-during-the-picture-id852066832

Yes. I also root for fighters based on the music they choose. Sometimes I have no interest in a fight and then someone comes out to a track that I really like, but isnt that well known and I'm immediately rooting for them.

If all else is equal, yes.

Other factors can easily take precedence over nationality though.

Partly. But mainly I like them for their fighting style and what they do in the octagon

Absolutely, since MMA in my country is not well-known or well-established there are very few high-level fighters, and even less that make it into the UFC.

Last edited:
For the most part yes.

Unless you are a douche, like colby or paul harris

Not really, but I guess I do have an affection for the minority countries in MMA. For instance, I wanted to see that Emil Weber Meek guy from norway to do well just because I can't think of any other norwegians in the UFC.

If your country has only a few successful athletes in the sport, it makes sense you will notice them more, follow them more, become a fan.

For Americans, there are so many American mma fighters it doesn’t matter.

It’s like for me when I used to follow hockey. There are so many Canadian hockey players that it doesn’t matter at all what country a player is from. But with mma, I will notice Canadian fighters more.

Yes, but that's because I'm from Belgium and we only have Tarec Saffiedine :D
I also root for Stefan Struve and Overeem because they are from the Netherlands and I like the Dutch

No, I root for them if I like their style, look, and personality.

wouldn't root against a fighter based on nationality
but it can add to his appeal

borics.jpg

Last edited:
Well, do you?

As someone from down under, I always root for Aussies but I know a lot of people (especially Americans) don't really root for fellow Muricanz. They usually root for people from their country of origin lol
I did in the earlier stages of getting into mma (like 2005-2008). Back then there were fewer fighters from different countries and some fights I saw as America vs UK, etc. Now there's a lot more diverse fighters in the ufc and you get to learn so much about each fighter that you kind of stop seeing them as the enemy. My assumption is that's because of youtube, interviews, tv, social media, and just overall increased coverage.

i root for those that bring the excitement .. those that bring the murder death kill skills... dont matter where you from what you look like if you fit those one of those two criteria i'm a fan...

I guess US fans root based on state,For me I ofcourse root the pride of the Turkiye
gokhan-saki-of-netherlands-poses-for-a-portrait-backstage-during-the-picture-id852066832
but since he's dutch too do you pull for the dutch fighters? Seems like a lot of euro fighters have dual heritage

I like Hunt, Whittaker and Hooker but didn't like Andrews, Te Huna or Kai Kara-France. So it matters more if you're exciting to me rather than where you're from.

Back