Yoshida derrotou Royce Gracie ?

Came here for the derratou; leaving dissapointed.

He choked him out with his gi just like Walid Ismail did.

It was just a grappling match. Not MMA. But yeah, "officially" he got the win. He lied to the ref and said Royce was out and the ref stopped it.

It was a grappling match, and Yoshida claimed Royce was out. Presumably he thought he was (Royce was biding his time), but Royce got to his feet quickly afterwards so I doubt it.

They had a MMA match, where the Gracies insisted that no points would be counted, ie it was finish or draw. And Royce out struck Yoshida, and so would have won on points (though neither of them did any damage at all), but it was officially a draw, ironically enough because of the Gracie's requirement. Interestingly enough Royce fought without a gi, correctly guessing that Yoshida had almost no no-gi experience. Yoshida wasn't as smart, and kept his gi on, which worked out well for Royce.

However, both Royce and Yoshida were well past their prime by that time. Yoshida's prime was ten years before, when he won Olympic gold in 1992 at 173 pounds - by the time he grappled and fought Royce he was ten years older, and 50 pounds overweight. Basically, Yoshida moved to MMA because he could no longer in international judo.

And Royce's prime was also in the mid-90's; he too was old and out of shape, though he at least didn't get fat like Yoshida did. They were interesting old timers matches, but didn't say much about how good either was when they were younger.

However, both Royce and Yoshida were well past their prime by that time. Yoshida's prime was ten years before, when he won Olympic gold in 1992 at 173 pounds - by the time he grappled and fought Royce he was ten years older, and 50 pounds overweight. Basically, Yoshida moved to MMA because he could no longer in international judo.
Yeah, Yoshida was so out of his prime that he would go on to beat Mark Hunt 6 months later, and take Wanderlei Silva to a split decision in an absolute war less than a year later.

Right.

Yoshida and Nastula really impressed me with the way they jumped into the deepest level of the sport and held their own.

There was some sneaky Japanese shit going on there, Pride wanted to put over there Japanese legend and what better way than over a Gracie

It was a sub match or something along those lines. Very sketchy.ref stepped in.... Royce did eventually get his revenge and made yoshida pay for it..this was after yoshida arguably beat wand at the gp too.

Yoshida and Nastula really impressed me with the way they jumped into the deepest level of the sport and held their own.

I was shocked Nastula hit prime Nog with a hook sweep. But Nog had insane cardio and beat the fuck out of him from mount later in the fight.

A total nonsense stoppage. Royce was fine, but the organization was looking for a way to please the crowd.

It was a sub match or something along those lines. Very sketchy.ref stepped in.... Royce did eventually get his revenge and made yoshida pay for it..this was after yoshida arguably beat wand at the gp too.
Royce let him know whats up, straight punt kicked him in the balls of there 2nd match.

Royce had already lost a load of BJJ matches, so not surprised he lost to an Olympic gold medalist who massively outweighed him.

The irony is that them Gracies were cheated by the Japanese ref... knowing that during the 1980s-1990s, in many Vale Tudo fights the ref. and the crowd were pro-Gracies (sometimes the ref was even a Gracie student... see Hickson vs Rei Zulu...)

Last edited:
Not sure, but I think Royce Gracie may actually have been defeated in this fight. Gracies have already been defeated by judo fighters other times, Helio Gracie called Kimura to Brazil to show that Jiu-Jitsu was the best martial art and was easily defeated by Kimura. Judo is very underrated. Kimura and Yoshida made me choose Judo instead of Gracie Jiu Jitsu.

Back