Wonderboys inability to win close decisions

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is this developing into a psychological thing with him? It's the second time he gets "dropped" just before the end of a very close fight. He seems to draw the short straw with judges every time. Are they biased against him or is he just one unlucky fellow?

Last edited:
When you fight like he does, you don't endear yourself to anyone. There are karate guys who get the job done...And then there is Wonderboy.

Also his hands blow...That doesn't help him much.

overly cautious ...karate guys tend to develop that overly cautious game when can be not great in MMA
Pure Pure counter striking game and not ever show aggression or offense.

When you fight like he does, you don't endear yourself to anyone. There are karate guys who get the job done...And then there is Wonderboy.

Also his hands blow...That doesn't help him much.

Disgree. His hands don't blow.. He punches exactly like the modern sport.. Lots of blitzing in and out superman punches. And he got good explosiveness.

Last edited:
overly cautious ...karate guys tend to develop that overly cautious game when can be not great in MMA
Pure Pure counter striking game and not ever show aggression or offense.

Yes.. But he is much better than Machida.

No, he's not. Wonderboy will never be a champion. Machida is a former UFC champion and also a UFC Challenger in other weight class. Machida is a legend and will be missed by when he's gone. Wonderboy is a boring full of shit overrated fighter, had as many great moments as boring fights.

I disagree, Machida was better imo because he took control of his fights when he could and showed some offence. i havent watched all of Wonderboys career but from the fights ive seen he is way too much of a counter striker and rarely takes a risk.

He losses decisions based mostly on not doing enough.. I felt in both the Woodley fights he could have attacked way more than he did

Last edited:
Idk. I still have room in my heart for another chance. The man's beating of Hendricks was unforgettable. I'm going to chalk it up to bad luck until the next one.

Last edited:
I disagree, Machida was better imo because he took control of his fights when he could and showed some offence. i havent watched all of Wonderboys career but from the fights ive seen he is way too much of a counter striker and rarely takes a risk.

He losses decisions based mostly on not doing enough.. I felt in both the Woodley fights he could have attacked way more than he did

Machida had the same problem with his decision losses

Last 5 fights have went to decision. He's 2-2-1 in those. 4 of his last 5 fights have been five rounds. 25 minutes to make something happen and the "elite striker" hasn't finished a fight in the last 2 years. When a point fighter can't win on points, a new strategy might be wise. Or a new sport. I hear karate values his skill set.

Last 5 fights have went to decision. He's 2-2-1 in those. 4 of last 5 fights have been five rounds. The "elite striker" who hasn't finished a fight for the last 2 years. When a point fighter can't win on points, a new strategy might be wise.

His background is Full Contact Kickboxing, as well as point fighting.

Disgree. His hands don't blow.. He punches exactly like the modern sport.. Lots of blizting in and out superman punches. And he got good explosiveness.

His hands do blow, he doesn't use them to set up his kicking game for one, and he lacks variety and given his size he can't use them effectively at distance. His counterpunching is a step behind Machida, and he is less effective offensively in mma setting.

He is also a mental midget who loses his nerve on every fight that isn't going his way absolutely.

If the other guy isn't making mistakes, he doesn't MAKE them make mistakes. Machida had more traps and setups. Npt to mention feints.

His hands do blow, he doesn't use them to set up his kicking game for one, and he lacks variety and given his size he can't use them effectively. His counterpunching is a step behind Machida, and he is less effective offensively in mma setting.

He is also a mental midget who loses his nerve on every fight that isn't going his way absolutely.

If the other guy isn't making mistakes, he doesn't MAKE them make mistakes. Machida had more traps and setups. Npt to mention feints.

GSP said wonderboy is the greatest striker he has EVER sparred

His background is Full Contact Kickboxing, as well as point fighting.
That's great. However, only one of those make it into the cage with him on fight night. And the other is Full Contact Kickboxing.

Back