DC-Stipe Not a superfight

JustOnce

On Hiatus
@Gold
Reaction score
I dont think this has a super fight written all over it.

DC is clearly second best in his own division behind a fighter in his prime whom he decisively lost to twice.

People say hes moving up but this guy is a guy who started his career at heayweight and if you dont recall it wasnt given thaf he would be able to cut to light.heavyweight with his history with cutting weight to lower weight class with his kidney.

On the other hand, as good as Stipe looked, he's still Stipe after all.

I dont know, I know they are marketing as a super fight but just doesnt have that vibe.

At the end of the day, Cormier seem to think it makes him in goat convo for moving up in weight and win, but imagine if Cain moved down a weight class, lost to Jones twice, then became a champ then moved up and fought for title at hw. Whats so special about moving back up when uve been a heavyweight to begin with, because thats exactly what DC is doing.

In my book, only person in the history of UFC who truly went up in a weight class to fight against a dominant, naturally bigger fighter has been BJ Penn. No one else. And DC isnt about to be next either.

It's the first time the current light heavyweight and heavyweight champions have fought in the history of the UFC. That's pretty "super" to me.

It's the first time the current light heavyweight and heavyweight champions have fought in the history of the UFC. That's pretty "super" to me.

Except Stipe isnt bigger than DC.

DC in his heavyweight days weighed in pretty much same weight range if not bigger.

Stipe is taller. But so is Struve.

Anytime Bork Laser will be attending, it becomes a super fight. "Wanna do it?"

It's still Stipe after all? You're making the greatest UFC HW champ sound like Tim Johnson.

In my book, only person in the history of UFC who truly went up in a weight class to fight against a dominant, naturally bigger fighter has been BJ Penn. No one else. And DC isnt about to be next either.
Is Roy Nelson "naturally bigger" than Stipe in your opinion?

In respects to DC's career and legacy, this is a great fight. He's always been known as an over matched heavy weight, and he pulls off amazing performances.

This is a great post Jones era fight for him.

In respects to DC's career and legacy, this is a great fight. He's always been known as an over matched heavy weight, and he pulls off amazing performances.

This is a great post Jones era fight for him.

Said no one ever

If a champ vs champ fight isnt a superfight, then what is?

Its almost like you forgot Jones got popped and the fight was made a NC.

DC only lost to a cheating roider.

This is def a superfight.

just because DC used to be even fatter than he is at lhw doesn't negate the fact that he is in fact moving up
both fighters have defended their belts at least 3 times against the top ranked opponents
DC has beaten Rumble 2x, Anderson Silva and Oezdemir - not sure Jones could
Stipe is on a 6 fight win streak against 5 legends and Ngannou
it's definitely a super fight imo

just because DC used to be even fatter than he is at lhw doesn't negate the fact that he is in fact moving up
both fighters have defended their belts at least 3 times against the top ranked opponents
DC has beaten Rumble 2x, Anderson Silva and Oezdemir - not sure Jones could
Stipe is on a 6 fight win streak against 5 legends and Ngannou
it's definitely a super fight imo

Cormier weighed in at 247 looking pretty good shape against big foot.

If Cormier is naturally lhw because of his looks then so must be Cain.

It's much more intriguing as a super fight when both fighters have only fought in their divisions. DC has almost twice as many fights at HW (13) than LHW (7). He's actually an undefeated HW (13-0). It should be marketed as Stipe vs. undefeated HW fighter, not a super fight.

i think it is. they're both top 10 fighters overall in the ufc and are 2 dominant champs. aside from jones dc has beaten every1 else and is a proven elite tier fighter. his record speaks for itself. stipes record speaks for itself as well

It's a super fight. Light heavyweight champion against Heavyweight champion. Maybe it won't be a huge PPV draw, but it's definitely a super fight. That's a fact.

And DC isn't as big as Stipe, that's also a fact, you have no idea what "size" is if you disagree.

PS: Size and weight aren't the same.

It's technically a superfight, and on paper the lhw champ vs the hw champ for the first time ever is a big deal.

However both guys just lack the popularity to make it a true superfight. If you look at gsp vs Penn those were two very popular fighters with rabid fanbases. Those kind of fights hype themselves.

I have a feeling this isn't going to sell as well as people think. The ufc should definitely be hyping it more.

I dont think this has a super fight written all over it.

DC is clearly second best in his own division behind a fighter in his prime whom he decisively lost to twice.

People say hes moving up but this guy is a guy who started his career at heayweight and if you dont recall it wasnt given thaf he would be able to cut to light.heavyweight with his history with cutting weight to lower weight class with his kidney.

On the other hand, as good as Stipe looked, he's still Stipe after all.

I dont know, I know they are marketing as a super fight but just doesnt have that vibe.

At the end of the day, Cormier seem to think it makes him in goat convo for moving up in weight and win, but imagine if Cain moved down a weight class, lost to Jones twice, then became a champ then moved up and fought for title at hw. Whats so special about moving back up when uve been a heavyweight to begin with, because thats exactly what DC is doing.

tldr
you're wrong

Back