UFC Performance Institute recommends fighters stay within 10 percent of weight class on fight night

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
The UFC Performance Institute is recommending fighters stay within 10 percent of their weight class on fight night, per an expansive analysis by the facility released Monday.

In addition, the detailed study states that no more than 1.5 percent of an athlete’s body weight can be lost per week from only body fat, so any drop in weight “should plan to be less severe” in order to lose fat and not muscle. The recommendation is that fighters should be losing no more than two to three pounds per week through their weight descent to get down to their contracted weight.

“It is critical to establish a longitudinal timeline for weight descent to effectively navigate a fighter down to his or her ideal fight weight within an adequate time frame to ensure that weight loss happens gradually and without significant metabolic impact,” the study states.

In many cases, these situations are not typical among fighters, who have far steeper weight cuts. In an interview published Monday on MMA Fighting, UFC fighter Craig White spoke about losing 46 pounds in two weeks to make weight for his fight with Neil Magny at UFC Liverpool last month. White said he weighed 202 pounds on fight night, nearly 19 percent above the 170-pound contracted weight class.

the 10-percent marker recommended by the UFC Performance Institute. A continuing California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) showed last yearthat nearly 30 percent of fighterscompete at 10 percent or more above the weight class. That number is probably higher for fighters in the UFC, who are competing at the highest level and willing to incur the greatest risk. CSAC has a policy, as part of its 10-point weight-cutting reform plan, that says it can recommend fighters move up a division if they come in above 10 percent of the weight class on fight night.

The UFC guidelines for the last two years have stated that fighters should come into fight week within 8 percent of their contracted weight. The UFC has not released the data on this regarding what percentage of fighters actually meet that guideline.

The UFC Performance Institute study underscores the need for UFC fighters to gradually diet down their weight or risk a crash in metabolism and performance. It emphasizes that fighters cannot take deplete themselves of nutrients and still expect to fight well. The sub headline of the section states: “You can’t diet your way to peak performance.”

“Importantly, moderating the rate of weight loss will help limit exaggerated metabolic disturbance of the energy deficits and allow the fighter to continue to build skill and physiological capacity through fight camp,” the study states. “Some fighters may choose to initiate their weight descent in advance of their fight camp in order to be able to re-balance the nutrition and training during fight camp, thus better enabling a focus on fighting during camp rather than having to emphasize weight loss over performance training.”

“Not only does this weight ‘cycling’ make achieving the desired weight class more challenging and thus nutritionally more restrictive for each subsequent fight, but it is also responsible for the development of disordered eating behaviors, including binge eating and metabolic disorders later in life,” the analysis states.

The study recommends “better fueling strategies” during the weight descent and weight cut, rather than crash diets and severe dehydration.

“Difficult weight cuts at the end of a calorie-restricted fight camp take a toll on a fighter’s body; particularly on their metabolic health,” the study states. “This becomes a critical issue when you consider that a blunted metabolism chronically impairs numerous biological systems and ultimately induces a more extreme weight-rebound. The consequence of this is often presented as more extreme and challenging weight cuts for future fights.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Imagine everyone just fought at their actual 'in shape' weight?

Extreme weight cutting is the most pointless, counter productive aspect of MMA.

If they can enforce this, then I think it's a start in right direction.

I like the idea of the performance institute making recommendations here as it's obviously quite a dangerous sector of our sport

But the realistic in me can't help but come to the conclusion that nothing will change.

Weight cutting is an integral part of the sport and it's not going anywhere soon. Larger Middleweights are not suddenly going to start moving up (or going back to) 205lbs as a result of this report let's face it.

Some could argue that the larger gap in weight classes that exists at MMA (in comparison to boxing for example) may exacerbate this problem, but then again... no MMA fan in their right mind wants to see more weight classes.

So in the absence of any practical alternative I have to say... if it aint broke don't fix it?

Non-compliance will be met with lethal force.

Good on them. Dummies will still be dummies, but education and suggestion is all anyone can do. Good move, UFCPI

The institute is proving what Edgar did back then in the deepest strongest division on the planet.
Frankie-Edgar-UFC-125-press.jpg

How on earth could they possibly enforce it?

Quite easily, they could start a labour program in that any fighter who misses weight gets sent to an asian reebok sweat shop for a 6 month sentence.

Would be a great step is practice.

Quite easily, they could start a labour program in that any fighter who misses weight gets sent to an asian reebok sweat shop for a 6 month sentence.

Just enough sarcasm to expose the ridiculous nature of the original post

Hats off, sir. I couldn't have done better myself

Well, although not an exact science, ONE seems to be trying and have some success.

Look at how many recent cards have been ruined because of failed weights. I for one have not watched some cards because of this, and its quite bummer when an anticipated cards do not come to fruitation.

Is this the same institute that is responsible for Francis's cardio last fight...

Well, although not an exact science, ONE seems to be trying and have some success.

Look at how many recent cards have been ruined because of failed weights. I for one have not watched some cards because of this, and its quite bummer when an anticipated cards do not come to fruitation.

Yeah I agree it's shit when a fighter misses weight and I think it's widely accepted among the sport's community that missing weight holds huge negative connotations and stigma. Perhaps the sanctions for missing weight are currently not harsh enough??

Those who miss weight consistently is unforgivable in my eyes and I do think there should be stricter rules in place... but along simpler lines. For example... if you miss weight 2 or more times you should be banned from that weight class and only able to compete at a heavier weight after the 2nd incident. Something along those lines.

I just think that policing every fighter's walk-around weights and then comparing that to their weigh-in weights and calculating the difference as percentages each time they fight (up to 5 times per year) is just totally impractical and unrealistic. Even if you put the logistics here aside, you still have to consider that each fighter is different and their walk-around weight often fluctuates massively, especially later into their career - but if they are able to consistently make weight then what's the harm?

Until it's enforced, recommending won't change anything. Force 10% of body weight if you want to change the sport.

If a fighter doesn't make weight it should be considered a loss and his next fight should be one weight class higher.
Problem solved. You're welcome!

So a 170 pounder will still be close to 190 lbs on fight night.

Somethings are just common sense staying within 10-15lbs of fighting weight just make sense.

Put it in their contract that there's a second mandatory weigh-in on fight night and if the fighter is above 10% they lose x% of their salary and are ineligible for POTN bonuses.....could also just suspend them for 6 months or however long they please. It's easily enforceable.

So a 170 pounder will still be close to 190 lbs on fight night.
And a 155 pounder will be at 170

Way better than some current fighters, but still seems higher than it should be.

Back