Few issues that needs to be addressed with UFC

NinjaSkillZ

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hi All,
I am fairly new here and I am sure you guys have beat this topic to death. I originally signed up to just vent about my frustrations with Dana White and the direction he and WME is taking our beloved organization, the UFC.

If there have been discussions about this topic and answers and suggestions can be found in another thread, please direct me to those. With that out of the way....

For starters , I think judging needs an overall haul. This round by round score just simply isn't fair...so do they simply go back to the good ol way the way Pride did it?

I don't think that would be an exact science but it could be entertained with tweaks here and there. I have been watching UFC with few friends that are considered "casuals" and quite often, judging is their complaint. They are appalled at some decisions and they have no interest in watching MMA because they laugh and think that it's fixed, or whatever.

There are many more topics I would like to discuss but I would like to start with judging.

Just like everything in life, things have to evolve in order for a product to get better.

Other leagues are adapting and changing rules, so why can't the judging portion of mma get a tweak?

The judging criteria did ‘get a tweak’ in 2016. Still a long way to go though.

By "fairly new", you mean 72 hours..correct?
Yes. Over the weekend. I'm fairly an old person who quit using forums on internet. But signing up here and posting again brings back good ol memories

Hi there. Kenny here. Welcome to Sherdog. I look forward to having many engaging discussions with you about all things MMA. I agree with you about judges and judging in general. I think the problem is that they are corrupt and the UFC probably bribes them for the results they want. Dana THE GOOF White pretends he hates judges but he probably has them in his back pocket. Like how they gave to championship to Jon Jones instead of the "anonymous swede". It was obvious that they needed Jon Steroid Jones to win because he has more fans.

Hi All,
I am fairly new here and I am sure you guys have beat this topic to death. I originally signed up to just vent about my frustrations with Dana White and the direction he and WME is taking our beloved organization, the UFC.

If there have been discussions about this topic and answers and suggestions can be found in another thread, please direct me to those. With that out of the way....

For starters , I think judging needs an overall haul. This round by round score just simply isn't fair...so do they simply go back to the good ol way the way Pride did it?

I don't think that would be an exact science but it could be entertained with tweaks here and there. I have been watching UFC with few friends that are considered "casuals" and quite often, judging is their complaint. They are appalled at some decisions and they have no interest in watching MMA because they laugh and think that it's fixed, or whatever.

There are many more topics I would like to discuss but I would like to start with judging.

Just like everything in life, things have to evolve in order for a product to get better.

Other leagues are adapting and changing rules, so why can't the judging portion of mma get a tweak?
Judging is the responsibility of the AC's with their rules as a guide. The UFC has zero power of any official unless its a international event and they are self regulating.

Welcome to Sherdog bruh.

The judging system did receive a slight overhaul recently, (damage a criteria) but it appears the judges missed the memo.

5 Judges, in the back, with multiple screens and angles, with the ability to rewind and replay would be a good start.

Also, they need to educate the judges. Stop taking everything from boxing also, a flash knockdown in MMA should not equate to a 10-8 round, when 4 minutes of ground n pound doesn't in other cases.

Hi there. Kenny here. Welcome to Sherdog. I look forward to having many engaging discussions with you about all things MMA. I agree with you about judges and judging in general. I think the problem is that they are corrupt and the UFC probably bribes them for the results they want. Dana THE GOOF White pretends he hates judges but he probably has them in his back pocket. Like how they gave to championship to Jon Jones instead of the "anonymous swede". It was obvious that they needed Jon Steroid Jones to win because he has more fans.
Jones won that fight rather clearly. How's your moms "friend" doing, still pushing for you to get out of the house and join the front lines?

I hope the fixing isn't case but I wouldn't be surprised. But the appalling decisions are getting out of hand in my opinion.

I don't think it would be a reach to entertain an idea where the rounds are judged on a round by round basis, which can count something like 75% towards the total score. And have another score that accounts for 25% , which could be an overall impression of the fight

Hi All,

Unlike other sports, rules of mma are not determined or controlled by one single entity. The individual athletic commissions make up or adopt rules. For the most part it’s these commissions that are also in charge of judging, not the UFC.

Judging, weight cutting and illegal shots.

But this hasn't made much of a difference so far.

Hi All,

Judges have power with no accountability. They're never gonna allow any changes that risk that power. Look at that Bird lady's score card from the GGG, Canelo fight. She still has a job... At the end of the day scoring a fight is subjective, biased, or bought.

Judges have power with no accountability. They're never gonna allow any changes that risk that power. Look at that Bird lady's score card from the GGG, Canelo fight. She still has a job... At the end of the day scoring a fight is subjective, biased, or bought.
Mayweather got rid of CJ Ross though after her garbage card in his fight with Canelo

Athletic commissions decide judging criteria

Its the human's subjective portion that needs to be removed or only count for portion of the score. Fights have been judged this way forever and its time for a change, whether its boxing or MMA or whatever.

I am watching world cup and I did not know they introduced whats called Virtual Assistance Referee and it has already decided 2 outcomes, and the right outcomes. MMA needs to get on with times and change the way the fights are judged.

You currently have 3 people sitting at a desk, and they probably can barely see the other side of the cage. That needs to change first. there are so many things they can do to improve judging fights, its pretty frustrating that the same concept is still being used from like 100 years ago.

Back