Revisiting a legendary open palm, closed shoes match

MMA_enthusiast

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Bas Rutten vs Masakatsu Funaki on the Pancrase 1996 anniversary show was an amazing match. Pure brutality here, Funaki had bested Rutten by a toe hold 2 years earlier in the beginning of his career, during that time Rutten had improved immensely getting big wins over Guy Mezger, Maurice Smith and Frank Shamrock, he was ready to exact his revenge on Funaki. What preceded was a beatdown of epic proportions, pancrase had different rules back in the day. No gloves, only palm strikes to head, and closed shoes. Funaki tried utilizing his grappling and leg hold submission tactics for majority of the match but to no avail. He had some spirit lasting as long as he did, getting up from knockdowns when he shouldn't have. Rutten WAS A BEAST and this is an awesome fight that everyone should see.

Enjoy sherdoggers

One of my faves with Bas from the Pancrase days:

bas-rutten-frank-shamrock-troll.gif

Dude I woke up in the middle of the night (2:21AM where I am) and decided to get on Sherdog. This made my night. I'm always down for Sherdog fight recommendations! Thank you very much @MMA_enthusiast ! Good lookin out I'm watching right now.

Bas Rutten vs Masakatsu Funaki on the Pancrase 1996 anniversary show was an amazing match. Pure brutality here, Funaki had bested Rutten by a toe hold 2 years earlier in the beginning of his career, during that time Rutten had improved immensely getting big wins over Guy Mezger, Maurice Smith and Frank Shamrock, he was ready to exact his revenge on Funaki. What preceded was a beatdown of epic proportions, pancrase had different rules back in the day. No gloves, only palm strikes to head, and closed shoes. Funaki tried utilizing his grappling and leg hold submission tactics for majority of the match but to no avail. He had some spirit lasting as long as he did, getting up from knockdowns when he shouldn't have. Rutten WAS A BEAST and this is an awesome fight that everyone should see.

Enjoy sherdoggers

Good times...
I will never see a human being with a dome as tall a Bass Rutten.
Dude probably had two brains inside there.

Bas was always the guy I thought I would least want to ever be in a street fight with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back