Cant help but feel fans wouldn't be as angry right now if Till hadn't blatantly missed weight

killakillakilla

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I can't help but wonder if the fans anger has less to do with whether the fight was a robbery or not and more to do with Till blatantly missing weight by more than 3 lbs and using his size as an advantage.

Me too! I wanted Thompson to knock that asswipe Till out throughout the fight.

It doesn't help that Till physically looked at least 20 lbs heavier than Thompson in the fight.

Did anyone else find themselves constantly hoping that Till was about to gas out throughout rounds 3-5? I so wanted to see Till gas out and Thompson just take over and dominate him for a while.

And then through all this, Thompson doesn't complain at all and acts with pure class.

After all that happened this past 48 hours, how could you not want Thompson to win?! And thats why people are pissed now because it just all seems so unfair.

But lets be honest that fight was razor close. I thought it was a clear draw. And it was impressive that Till was able to stand toe to toe with Thompson like that.

If Till hadn't missed weight like he did and that fight went exactly the same, I think fans would be hyped about him right now and there wouldn't be nearly as much of a controversy.

All in all I'm glad fans are pissed because it indicates that we are getting sick of fighters missing weight for a size advantage.

I hope the angry reaction causes fighters to take making weight more seriously.

49-46 x 2 seems like someone is pushing an agenda. It wasn't that one sided for either fighter, and if it was, it wasn't Till.

That being said. Wonderboy makes his own bed letting these things go to the judges of late and Octagon Control (or simple aggression) does matter.

Colour me old fashioned but I just can't summon the energy to give a flying fuck when one guy misses weight for a fist fight by 2 or 3 pounds

I know its unprofessional and shitty etc but I personally just don't give a shit

I mean when Dern missed by like 8 pounds and it seemed like she didn't even try then yeah that is pretty awful, same when Hendricks missed the MW limit after being at 170

But when someone is clearly trying and they can't lose those last couple of pounds, maybe they are sick or have family issues like Till did then as I said I don't really care

I don't see many angry other than those that legitimately think Wonderboy won

The fact that he missed weight seem to have been forgotten already.

I don't see many angry other than those that legitimately think Wonderboy won

The fact that he missed weight seem to have been forgotten already.

I wonder if a lot of those who are complaining would still be upset now if Till hadn’t missed weight. That added a narrative to the fight that made it easy to support Thompson.

I thought 49-46 was fair and I was pushing for Wonderboy to win the fight. I had it 48-47 with the 5th round and easy win for Till. Either way like someone else stated, when you fight defensively the entire fight and dont land any shots that damage your opponent; not to mention spend the fight with your back against the cage, its tough to argue you won. Till walked out of there with not a single mark on his face.

And OP, he didn't "blatantly" miss weight. Guy has never missed before and had a legit issue come up in his cut, and it was only 3.5 lbs. He was gonna build back up to his fight night weight regardless. He is 25 so it's easier for his body to recover from a massive weight cut.

Edit: Plus, Thompson got 8.7k of Tills purse and he didn't seem to bummed about the fight. He knows he didn't do enough to push the action and hurt Till. You could tell he wasn't surprised he lost the fight when the decision was read.

I thought 49-46 was fair and I was pushing for Wonderboy to win the fight. I had it 48-47 with the 5th round and easy win for Till. Either way like someone else stated, when you fight defensively the entire fight and dont land any shots that damage your opponent; not to mention spend the fight with your back against the cage, its tough to argue you won. Till walked out of there with not a single mark on his face.

And OP, he didn't "blatantly" miss weight. Guy has never missed before and had a legit issue come up in his cut, and it was only 3.5 lbs. He was gonna build back up to his fight night weight regardless. He is 25 so it's easier for his body to recover from a massive weight cut

What? Till has never missed weight before are you sure about that? I feel like he did. Gonna go google now

Last edited:

And OP, he didn't "blatantly" miss weight. Guy has never missed before and had a legit issue come up in his cut, and it was only 3.5 lbs. He was gonna build back up to his fight night weight regardless. He is 25 so it's easier for his body to recover from a massive weight cut

Dude...3.5 lbs is a fucking lot late in your cut. Absolutely grueling.

I think Till won tho. Wonderboy fights are getting frustrating to watch.

As others have said, it's mainly the RIDICULOUSLY one-sided score-cards that most fans are disputing.

The weight cut fails (plural) are a joke too though. lol

Mr LHW, that can't MAKE weight.

And OP, he didn't "blatantly" miss weight. Guy has never missed before and had a legit issue come up in his cut, and it was only 3.5 lbs. He was gonna build back up to his fight night weight regardless. He is 25 so it's easier for his body to recover from a massive weight cut. de

So yeah I swore I remembered Till missing weight before and found it on google.

Till missed weight by 5 lbs just a year ago vs Jessin Ayari - same story Till gave up a percentage of his fight purse but still won the fight

Of course. It is fairly obvious that this is becoming a strategy because there are no deterrents for missing weight (a little fine and an apology). Meanwhile you get to come in bigger and in the last few cases you get the win, are moved up in rankings.

The revolutionary war is over America, you won. No need to be bias against the British.

Those last few pounds are the most draining and hardest by far. Would Till have had the stamina to keep pressuring Wonderboy for the entire fight? Would he have been drained and reduced to a still target for a beautiful wheel kick KO?

I don't know, and we'll never know now, because he didn't make weight as he was contracted to.

For the love of fuck don't give this guy a title shot. He's missed weight twice now and by very bad margins. Make him move up please.

So yeah I swore I remembered Till missing weight before and found it on google.

Till missed weight by 5 lbs just a year ago vs Jessin Ayari - same story Till gave up a percentage of his fight purse but still won the fight

So he has missed twice in his career? 18 fights? plus his other muay thai fights? doesn't seem like to big of an issue to me. he is a young man, only 25 years old. doubt he has a strict nutritionist or anything like that. im sure he gets back on track, one more miss tho and im sure he will look into something.

i think a good way to combat this is to up the price which is know they have for missing weight.

.1-1.5 lbs over = 40%
1.5-3= 50%
3+ = 60%

And include the winnings too. Never understood why its only the purse they include in the fine, if the win bonus is in the fighters contract it should realistically be apart of their purse and should count towards the fine. Till should have lost 16.4k not just 8.7k

So he has missed twice in his career? 18 fights? plus his other muay thai fights? doesn't seem like to big of an issue to me. he is a young man, only 25 years old. doubt he has a strict nutritionist or anything like that. im sure he gets back on track, one more miss tho and im sure he will look into something.

i think a good way to combat this is to up the price which is know they have for missing weight.

.1-1.5 lbs over = 40%
1.5-3= 50%
3+ = 60%

And include the winnings too. Never understood why its only the purse they include in the fine, if the win bonus is in the fighters contract it should realistically be apart of their purse and should count towards the fine. Till should have lost 16.4k not just 8.7k

I thought the win bonus was included in the fine. Eff that blows

Nothing to do with the weight. It's just that these bs U.K. decisions have been building for years and it seems like this is the final straw. It's getting ridiculous. Till won 4 rounds? In what world

Some may see Wonderboy is starting to slow down or losing his edge. He lost to Woodly after drawing him and maybe in the back of his head he knew that a 3rd fight with Tyron didn't make sense. An interim title, sure! A different title holder, sure! But when? And then there's age:

Speed goes first. He fought someone 10 years his younger. 35 is still a ripe year, but was that the same Thompson that rattled Whitaker, or shut down Rory? Or are Tyron and Dill just some ironjawed heavy hitters starting to figure him out?

As for Till, I'm concerned on if he can keep cutting to 170. Maybe he would've done better if he made weight and was given more time to hydrate. He sure seemed to pace himself a lot. He shook his head a lot after getting hit. I don't know if that indicated if the shots hurt, or if it had any influence on the judges.

The fight was not a blowout for either side.

Back