Wonderboy and Maia are victims of pre-fight planning and footage

Scheme

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
If no one knew who these guys were and there was no pre-fight footage they would pretty much dominate every fight because people wouldn't prepare for their styles. If this was UFC 1 or a one-day tournament and no one really prepared for their opponents I'm pretty sure they would win every one of their fights.

However, because guys can prepare, watch their fights, analyze every little thing they do and then fight cautiously against them, they fall victim to having boring fights.

In real life, you don't know who you are going to be fighting against. This is an aspect where the competition aspect actually interferes in the fighting aspect of MMA.

Maybe Wonderboy should brawl in the streets instead of competing in a sport that's documented with footage. What a weird point to make.

In real life someone would soccer kick Maia’s head off after the first lazy takedown.

I’m sure all these fighters planned for Wonderboy to dance around and backup the whole fight. Oh wait, I think that was actually Wonderboy’s plan.

Maybe Wonderboy should brawl in the streets instead of competing in a sport that's documented with footage. What a weird point to make.
There were times where in the UFC, PRIDE and other organizations where you didn't know who you were going to be fighting on any given night. Was in not a sport back then?

Also having a ready recording of every fight is a relatively new concept in terms of the fight world.

Last edited:
Billy-D_Approves.gif

So you want to be an Ultimate Fighter?

<Dana05>

If no one knew who these guys were and there was no pre-fight footage they would pretty much dominate every fight because people wouldn't prepare for their styles. If this was UFC 1 or a one-day tournament and no one really prepared for their opponents I'm pretty sure they would win every one of their fights.

However, because guys can prepare, watch their fights, analyze every little thing they do and then fight cautiously against them, they fall victim to having boring fights.

In real life, you don't know who you are going to be fighting against. This is an aspect where the competition aspect actually interferes in the fighting aspect of MMA.

If people can decode Maia and Wonderboy by watching tape that means they aren't evolving their games much. Can't analyze new techniques that have no tape yet, and Maia and Wonderboy have none.

So why wouldn't they be equally unprepared for a world class wrestler with a killer punch or the like? They wouldn't know what style they were fighting either. Wonderboy might assume a wrestler like Woodley couldn't strike and walk into a KO punch.

Also I don't think any karate guys won the early UFC tournaments. I could be wrong but everyone seemed to be getting taken to the ground.

Same thing happened to Machida.

Before anybody knew about Aldo, he was tearing through people too, though against lesser competition. Just his raw athleticism and explosiveness would be hard to prepare for if you didn't know what to expect.

Maia has been around a long time and is 40 and Thompson was fighting a guy that looked like he should be stepping in against Volkan Oezdemir at lhw

No shame in losing to a big mofo like Till. If WB would've been more agressive Till would've ko'd him and WB would've taken damage he didn't need to take on top of a possible knee injury. He lost to a guy who missed weight so in all fairness, back to the drawing board for Thompson. He's gonna need to get back in the win column and Till might end up getting a collegiate American wrestler who will grind him out like Usman or Colby, but honestly dude is scary on the feet so it's understandable if either of those guys would apply that game plan.

Khabib has yet to fall victim to what you said OP although you do have a point.

So why wouldn't they be equally unprepared for a world class wrestler with a killer punch or the like? They wouldn't know what style they were fighting either. Wonderboy might assume a wrestler like Woodley couldn't strike and walk into a KO punch.

Also I don't think any karate guys won the early UFC tournaments. I could be wrong but everyone seemed to be getting taken to the ground.
Because other guy's styles are more generic. You can train to fight wrestleboxers or jiu jitsu fighters, and that's mostly what you'll be fighting in real life. But guys with specific styles (like Wonderboy, Maia, Anderson, etc.) are very hard to emulate in training and almost useless since you wouldn't generally be fighting fighters with those styles.

Even if you're correct...so? You gonna demand all fights take place underground where nobody can see them??

Because other guy's styles are more generic. You can train to fight wrestleboxers or jiu jitsu fighters, and that's mostly what you'll be fighting in real life. But guys with specific styles (like Wonderboy, Maia, Anderson, etc.) are very hard to emulate in training and almost useless since you wouldn't generally be fighting fighters with those styles.

I'm just saying in a blind situation Wonderboy would not have time to learn to defend every type of wrestling/sub technique anymore than a wrestler could learn to defend against MT, Karate or TKD. He won't have any experience facing elite wrestlers either.

Why were the good old days dominated by grapplers and wrestlers and not karate men? It isn't like Wonderboy and Machida reinvented karate. They didn't even have stand-ups back then which aids the striker immensely. They are both quicker than most strikers and that helped their winning % but there were guys like Randleman and Tito who shot pretty damn fast too...maybe quick enough to land the TD.

As to Maia we saw how that played out in history already in the Gracies and if they kept their techniques to themselves and there were no tapes Maia would have been pretty unbeatable just like they were for a while...but not Wonderboy.

The thing is though the scouting goes both ways....

Not like only 1 fighter gets to analyze the other so if wonderboy or Maia properly scouted their opponents they could adapt a better way to implement the style they have.

In real life you also don't know which weapons your attackers are going to use (everything from unarmed to knives and guns), and how many there will be.

MMA is a sport, its not a real fight. And in sports (ironically also in war, which is the ultimate real fight), you always scout your opposition.

Maia's biggest problem is simply that he's old for a fighter. And Wonderboy is getting up in years too (35 is old for a professional athlete), with a style that requires fast reflexes - and reflexes are the first things to go, typically starting to slow noticeably in your mid-20's.

Back