The perception of "Octagon Control" is off IMO

DontForgetMe

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Everyone always says that the fighter moving forward has "Octagon Control" which is the only argument for Till winning this fight. Moving forward while getting tagged isn't "Octagon Control" to me, Wonderboy literally wants you to move forward like a Matador and that's control for him based on his style of fighting as he fights best on his back foot. "Octagon Control" means that the person has the fight where he want's it to be, and Wonderboy wants to be countering and moving in and out while retreating much like Machida (Machida lost a few questionable decisions being hesitant as well). Not every fight is the same and these judges should know this. I had that 49-46 or 48-47 for Wonderboy irregardless of this sentiment as well, it's absurd to think that Wonderboy would've needed a 10-8 in the 5th to even get a draw in that fight the way it got scored as well. To me Wonderboy fought where he wanted to most of the fight, which should be "Octagon Control" to me.

I wouldn't accept a Main Event against a Englishman in the UK unless I was the underdog with something to gain and little to lose. Biased judging just cost Wonderboy his career trajectory with Till being the beneficiary of shady judging. He's getting up there in age too, not that I wanted to see Woodley 3 yet, but still. Dude's a class act and got screwed over.

The issue is most people think that when a fighter is backed up against the cage or the ropes in boxing it is a disadvantageous position. Woodley uses this to lull his opponents and explode, and even some of Daley's opponents avoid fighting him standing when he has his back against the cage.

Therefore, for most purposes, especially in regards to shooting for takedowns, having your back against the cage is disadvantageous. Fighters who have good KO power or explosiveness are best fit in this position.

The only thing that Till controlled in relation to this fight is the buffet.

So is the other guy supposed to stand with his back against the cage on the other side of the octagon and have a staring contest? Wouldnt he then be controlling the octagon because hew not doing what WB wants?

Or i mean...what?

So in your opinion WB won the octagon control... Ok, who caused more damage to the other? Who had the most significant strike of the fight?

Imo Till wins all three of those arguments.

So wait, your argument is Wonderboy fought where he wanted and Till didn't? Explain.

Only when Diaz did it against Condit it doesn't matter.

Diaz 1 2 5.

#Neverforget

The definition from the UFC used for scoring literally says effective aggressiveness means moving forward

Till fought Wonderboys fight for 95% if the fight, and got clearly outpointed doing so. That’s control

The only thing that Till controlled in relation to this fight is the buffet.

This. All Till did, was what bigger, more powerful guys do. He chased Wonderboy into the corners with the threat of his size advantage, and then what happened? Wonderboy escaped 95% of the time and seemingly landed more.

Only when Diaz did it against Condit it doesn't matter.

Diaz 1 2 5.

#Neverforget

Walking forward is great and all, but not if you're getting hit in the face to do it.

This. All Till did, was what bigger, more powerful guys do. He chased Wonderboy into the corners with the threat of his size advantage, and then what happened? Wonderboy escaped 95% of the time and seemingly landed more.

Except he didnt. Tills at home. Till landed more, came forward, and got a KD.

Whats the issue here?

Walking forward is great and all, but not if you're getting hit in the face to do it.

Diaz was actually trying to fight, Till was trying to dance or something. In parts of the fight he looked like he was playing that eyetoy game where you clean the windows with your hands.

Everyone always says that the fighter moving forward has "Octagon Control" which is the only argument for Till winning this fight. Moving forward while getting tagged isn't "Octagon Control" to me, Wonderboy literally wants you to move forward like a Matador and that's control for him based on his style of fighting as he fights best on his back foot. "Octagon Control" means that the person has the fight where he want's it to be, and Wonderboy wants to be countering and moving in and out while retreating much like Machida (Machida lost a few questionable decisions being hesitant as well). Not every fight is the same and these judges should know this. I had that 49-46 or 48-47 for Wonderboy irregardless of this sentiment as well, it's absurd to think that Wonderboy would've needed a 10-8 in the 5th to even get a draw in that fight the way it got scored as well. To me Wonderboy fought where he wanted to most of the fight, which should be "Octagon Control" to me.

I wouldn't accept a Main Event against a Englishman in the UK unless I was the underdog with something to gain and little to lose. Biased judging just cost Wonderboy his career trajectory with Till being the beneficiary of shady judging. He's getting up there in age too, not that I wanted to see Woodley 3 yet, but still. Dude's a class act and got screwed over.
Hell yes dude exactly. Just because a fighter is moving forward does not mean he is winning the damn fight. I keep saying this but you explained it well. I wish more understood this. Hell I wish the damn judges understood it! The only surprising thing about that fight was the decision.

Diaz was actually trying to fight, Till was trying to dance or something. In parts of the fight he looked like he was playing that eyetoy game where you clean the windows with your hands.

Thats fine, Diaz was trying to fight but he was getting outfought doing it.

Neither Till nor Wonderboy were doing that much in the way of striking and Till wasnt exactly getting punished for pushing forward.

Trying is the right word, he was failing while plodding forward

Thats fine, Diaz was trying to fight but he was getting outfought doing it.

Neither Till nor Wonderboy were doing that much in the way of striking and Till wasnt exactly getting punished for pushing forward.

Diaz is the GOAT.

Back