They really need to take "octagon control" out of the scoring criteria

Rampage_Jackson

retired 3/6/21
@red
Reaction score
Aggression and "octagon control" do not have shit to do with winning a fight. Effective striking and grappling do.

moving forward does not = winning a fight

Til ate way more shots than he gave. 49-46 Wonderboy

Til wins under better scoring AKA Pride rules thanks to finishing strong and having the knockdown but WB got robbed under unified rules unless you just weigh "octagon control" a ridiculous amount for some reason.

Depends. I'm with you in a way. I would've accepted a draw more than the win.

yeah it doesn't make sense. what matters is damage, trying to finish a fight and what not. but octagon control? eh

I don't understand how waving your hands and shaking your head while moving forward wins you a fight.

1. Damage
2. Submission Attempts
3. Everything else

Fuck your "Pride rules".

octagon control is legit and only one of the criterias today.
Yea fuck scoring a fight as a whole based on damage, coming close to finishes and who finished the strongest. Let's apply arbitrary numbers based on 5 minute increments from a scoring system made for other sports. Makes way more sense.

Octagon Control is really dumb criteria anyway.

Till moved forward because Thompson moved backwards, and vice versa. Till wasn't physically moving Thompson around the cage.

I haven't even seen the fight and it smells like bullshit.

Yea fuck scoring a fight as a whole based on damage, coming close to finishes and who finished the strongest. Let's apply arbitrary numbers based on 5 minute increments from a scoring system made for other sports. Makes way more sense.

Your yakuza pro wrestling org is dead and gone pal, it's in the gutter where it belongs. Accept it and move on with your life. MMA is a different sport now. Hell, it's an actual sport now. Octagon control is legit and the other factors you mentioned is exactly what gave Till the victory today because the KD which came closest to a finish and did damage, is the only significant thing that happened.

Aggression and "octagon control" do not have shit to do with winning a fight. Effective striking and grappling do.

moving forward does not = winning a fight

Til ate way more shots than he gave. 49-46 Wonderboy

Til wins under better scoring AKA Pride rules thanks to finishing strong and having the knockdown but WB got robbed under unified rules unless you just weigh "octagon control" a ridiculous amount for some reason.
I've started the same thread, "octagon control" is a big part of the problems with decisions. Superior positioning gives you a chance to get subs or land strikes, but just holding superior position should not score you points.

Wonderboy controlled the edge of the octagon. What's up now? That's the better location anyways which is closer to the door in case he has to go use the toilet ASAP.

So true, they don't understand that so many fighters like Thompson machida and Cruz actually want to be going backwards. Why shouldn't they get points for implementing their game

The bigger guy with reach, and the punching threat chased him into the corner for 25 mins and got what? I actually called for Till to end the fight with that lead hook but hardly ever threw, even when Wonderboy was most "trapped" he found a way out. Till even acknowledged it.

Nobody should giving that fight to Till for "control" imo. Wonderboy certainly didn't control the bigger fighter, but he wasn't stuck under Till's will by any means.

If octagon control weren't part of the scoring criteria then how would you score Kalib Starnes vs Nate Quarry?

it’s the same argument for a wrestler who takes someone down and does nothing. Yeah they are in control but so what?

lol, retire from reffing and instantly start bitching on social media like the rest of us...
The only difference is we're bitching, and he's stating.

The sport could really use a universal body led by someone like Big John. As it is, it's different everywhere it goes.

I think the idea is that both try to gain Octogan control which causes initiation and an actual fight.
Shame WB didn't want any Octogan control.

Back