The reality of being dehydrated and being in danger of brain damage

Grijswaarde

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
There have been some concerns about Till entering the fight partially dehydrated. The main concern is not him feeling weak, it is him having less cerobrospinal fluid (brain fluid) coming into the fight.

Not only does that increase the risk of a concussion (as in: the brain bumps against the skull and basically shuts down due to overload of pulses), it also severely increases the risk of serious brain damage since the concussion will be much more damaging than "normal".

So how the hell is any organisation allowing a fighter to fight dehydrated? It will probably go well, but if not it could REALLY damage the sport.

Weird decision imo.

{<jimmies}

who cares about his health when theres this to make
Dana-White-Money.jpg

He's a big boy, choose to sign the contract, choose not to make weight, choose to accept the 188 stipulation, and is choosing to fight.

Now listen to Pestilence's song Dehydrated!!!

Don't let the Goosebumps worthy album cover fool you, this is awesome!

It's dumb, neglect. They'll only prevent it if something happens. An unnecessary tragedy.

how long does it take to rehydrate? serious question

Its a tricky question because Till isn't wasn't severely dehydrated at 187.3lbs but there is no way he's fully recovered in that short of time. General answer is 24-36 hours.

It could vary though. Big difference between being very thirsty with a mild headache and 'holy shit, you were a couple of hours from death'. Previous severe dehydration would probably weaken your resistance like KO's, heat stroke, etc..

He isn't dehydrated, he's had several hours to rehydrate. And so far, he's looked like himself.

You're not scientists or experts on each person's body, stop pretending you are.

the reality is dont fight at 170 if you walk aroud 210 fat pig

He isn't dehydrated, he's had several hours to rehydrate. And so far, he's looked like himself.

You're not scientists or experts on each person's body, stop pretending you are.

I'm not, but i read enough articles of people who are. And there is a clear consensus: fighting dehydrated involves a lot of risk and 8 hours is not enough to rehydrate.

<Fedor23><Deported1>

I'm not, but i read enough articles of people who are. And there is a clear consensus: fighting dehydrated involves a lot of risk and 8 hours is not enough to rehydrate.

<Fedor23><Deported1>

Everyone's body is unique and it depends how much they're dehydrated and rehydrate themselves. There's not a "one size fits all" criteria you can use on everyone.

It is clear there was some brain damage. He was celebrating like he just put on the performance of the year. He did fookin’. Nuttin!

Everyone's body is unique and it depends how much they're dehydrated and rehydrate themselves. There's not a "one size fits all" criteria you can use on everyone.

Agreed, but since no one knows how any fighter reacts (me neither obviously) you should also have a worst scenario in mind imo. It went well tonight, but at was a risky thing for sure.

He's a big boy, choose to sign the contract, choose not to make weight, choose to accept the 188 stipulation, and is choosing to fight.
Fighters would agree to all kinds of impractical and dangerous things. That's why there's oversight, to keep that from happening and protect them from each other and themselves. Aside from what a tragedy it would be for a fighter to get in the cage on the sport's biggest stage and die under these circumstances, you have to consider the optics of such an event. Everyone complains about bureaucracy and the dumb rules the commissions have in place. Skirting rules intended to keep fighters safe will just invite the potential for more of that.

Back