Best year ever in MMA

dead joe

strawweight fan
@Orange
Reaction score
I was just wondering, which year was the most exciting, or represents for you the peak of MMA ? I started following the sport regularly around 2014, but have watched a shitload of fights from before that time, and somehow I get the sense that I arrived just at the end of a "golden age" (circa 2010-2012). Is it just a romanticization of the past from me ? Or maybe some of you guys think that it's always been uphill or downhill since the 90s ?

I was just wondering, which year was the most exciting, or represents for you the peak of MMA ? I started following the sport regularly around 2014, but have watched a shitload of fights from before that time, and somehow I get the sense that I arrived just at the end of a "golden age" (circa 2010-2012). Is it just a romanticization of the past from me ? Or maybe some of you guys think that it's always been uphill or downhill since the 90s ?
either 1998 or 1999 or 2000

> 1999. Rings´ awesome tournaments + Pride´s awesome fights that year

Last edited:
2015 or 2016

So many good fights those years

2019: The last year of MMA.

#ufcisdying

That's the feeling i get as well. Does any one of those five years strike you as especially epic, awesome, unforgettable ?
2013 had gus-jones, gsp-hendricks, silva-weidman, aldo-edgar 1, etc.

some big landmark fights

Fedor vs Nog 1
Nog vs Cro Cop
Randy vs Chuck 1
Randy vs Tito
Hendo vs Busta 1
Sylvia vs Ricco
Fedor vs Fujita
Overeem vs Chuck
Rampage vs Chuck 1
Wanderlei vs Rampage 1
BJ vs Gomi
Gomi vs Hellboy
Igor vs Cro Cop
Carlos Newton vs Renzo Gracie
Carlos Newton vs Anderson Silva

Last edited:
2013 had gus-jones, gsp-hendricks, silva-weidman, aldo-edgar 1, etc.

some big landmark fights

Wait... I started following the UFC way before that then. Ok so I miscalculated, I'm just thinking the golden age is around 2010-2012 because that's when I started getting invested lol. I just checked and realized UFC 141 is from 2011, and that's the first card I remember watching.

Fedor vs Nog 1
Nog vs Cro Cop
Randy vs Chuck 1
Randy vs Tito
Hendo vs Busta 1
Sylvia vs Ricco
Fedor vs Fujita
Overeem vs Chuck
Rampage vs Chuck 1
Wanderlei vs Rampage 1
BJ vs Gomi
Gomi vs Hellboy

You make some good points.

Wait... I started following the UFC way before that then. Ok so I miscalculated, I'm just thinking the golden age is around 2010-2012 because that's when I started getting invested lol. I just checked and realized UFC 141 is from 2011, and that's the first card I remember watching.
yea 141 was lesnar vs overeem right?

Fedor vs Nog 1
Nog vs Cro Cop
Randy vs Chuck 1
Randy vs Tito
Hendo vs Busta 1
Sylvia vs Ricco
Fedor vs Fujita
Overeem vs Chuck
Rampage vs Chuck 1
Wanderlei vs Rampage 1
BJ vs Gomi
Gomi vs Hellboy
I hate that I became a fan after the Pride era. I've gone back and watched tons of stuff but it's just not the same as experiencing it live (plus any one who was a fan back then seems to prefer Pride to present day UFC). This list has a couple fights I haven't watched, about to check them out now!

2007 ufc 75 in london, rampage unifid the pride and ufc belts

Fedor vs Nog 1
Nog vs Cro Cop
Randy vs Chuck 1
Randy vs Tito
Hendo vs Busta 1
Sylvia vs Ricco
Fedor vs Fujita
Overeem vs Chuck
Rampage vs Chuck 1
Wanderlei vs Rampage 1
BJ vs Gomi