Is missing weight really worth it?

Captain Tight

Gettin two birds stoned at once
@Blue
Reaction score
With the surge in fighters missing weight with little to no consequence, it's easy to suggest that the fighters are strategically missing weight, which is a valid theory, considering their win probability sky rockets.

But, if UFC fighter pay is so underwhelmingly low, how can fighters afford to lose X% of their purse? Maybe, I'm missing something here but just a thought

On a side note, I'm not entirely sure Till intentionally missed weight. He is naturally a massive WW compared to others and may simply struggle to continue to make weight for this division. I wouldn't be surprised either way though

I have no idea what tills contract is but what is this going to cost him? 30-40k? If he wins he is likely At the top of a ppv card maybe even fighting for the title. Future fights he will be getting paid top dollar

Till knew the UFC would put tremendous pressure on WB to take the fight, since it's a main event and the only one worth advertising. WB knows he will never get another title shot if he kills the fight. Till is at least 180 right now, so no telling how heavy he comes in to the fight. Plus, it's not just the weight. A cut is hell on the body and people saying it's only the last 4 lbs have never cut much weight. The last few lbs are hell. Till comes in fresh and WB does not, especially considering he can't re hydrate with IV anymore. This is a huge advantage for Till and the UFC needs to take a stand but will not. And Stephen will not kill the fight. He's a warrior and came to fight. Till knew all of this and just watched Dern play the UFC to her advantage. I wish WB would walk away but he won't.

I have no idea what tills contract is but what is this going to cost him? 30-40k? If he wins he is likely At the top of a ppv card maybe even fighting for the title. Future fights he will be getting paid top dollar

IMO, for any fighter, that's still a lot of money to lose out on.

Till didn't intentionally cut 15 or more pounds to stop at 174. He'd be starving and dehydrating himself just to give up pay for no advantage.

Till knew the UFC would put tremendous pressure on WB to take the fight, since it's a main event and the only one worth advertising. WB knows he will never get another title shot if he kills the fight. Till is at least 180 right now, so no telling how heavy he comes in to the fight. Plus, it's not just the weight. A cut is hell on the body and people saying it's only the last 4 lbs have never cut much weight. The last few lbs are hell. Till comes in fresh and WB does not, especially considering he can't re hydrate with IV anymore. This is a huge advantage for Till and the UFC needs to take a stand but will not. And Stephen will not kill the fight. He's a warrior and came to fight. Till knew all of this and just watched Dern play the UFC to her advantage. I wish WB would walk away but he won't.

Till is scum. Gaming the system

Considering every fighter who has missed weight so far this year went on to win their fight, and with only a moderate and short-term financial penalty as punishment, yeah I’d say it’s been entirely worth it.

On top of the purse fine, they should make him start the fight with a one point deduction.

The purse cut is obviously not a deterrent for many.

Till didn't intentionally cut 15 or more pounds to stop at 174. He'd be starving and dehydrating himself just to give up pay for no advantage.

If he had too much of a weight difference, the fight would be called off. He avoids the most grueling part of the weight cut.

IMO, for any fighter, that's still a lot of money to lose out on.
I agree but it might the price they are willing to pay. I think jimmy smith just stole my comment. Said literally the same thing I did on fs2

You lose respect from the real fans. I was a big Till fan up until today, this is the second time he's missed weight by a shit ton. I think he's just scared to fight men his own size.

Back