How much over the weight limit can you be?

Homervanderjaz

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I note WB was not 170 either, will he just be given time to shed the last pound or does it not matter as it’s only a pound over?

1lb

(for non-title fights)

Whatever your opponent agrees to.

If Abe Anderson misses weight by 14 lbs, but Bob Burton agrees to fight him....then Abe can be 14 lbs over.

If Abe Anderson is 4 lbs over, but Bob Burton refuses to fight him...then Abe can't be 4 lbs over.

For some reason, we've put the pressure on Bob to ensure the fight happens, rather that putting the pressure on Abe to make weight.

You're allowed a single lb, unless it's for a Championship, in which case you have to be on the dot iirc.

Depends on the commission. Different places will have different rules.

All weight classes have a 1lb allowance for non-title fights.

As for being over the limit... some commissions will call the fight off if you are more than 3lbs over, I believe.
As Jackonfire said, different ACs different rules.

For example the Quebec commission allows all fighters whose names start with George and end with Saint-Pierre to come in way over weight. Seems very specific, but hey...

Isn't 1lb for non title fights universal?
Yeah, I think so. But for fights in general, different commissions will have different rules. For instance, since Dern weighed in a pound under the next weight class up, that fight was allowed to go on. If she would have been one more pound over, the fight would have been called off.

All weight classes have a 1lb allowance for non-title fights.

As for being over the limit... some commissions will call the fight off if you are more than 3lbs over, I believe.
As Jackonfire said, different ACs different rules.

For example the Quebec commission allows all fighters whose names start with George and end with Saint-Pierre to come in way over weight. Seems very specific, but hey...

Damn
Poor Georges,
if only his parents hadn't have given that damn S at the end

Back