Lyoto Machida not retiring any time soon, talks about another title run and front kick KO.

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
In fact, as Machida explained to Bloody Elbow, he wishes to partake in one last middleweight title run before calling it a career for good. In order to make that happen, the 39-year-old revealed his intentions of fighting two more times in 2018.

“I don’t intend to take a break, right now,” Machida said. “I want to fight once or twice more this year. I really feel like fighting and I want to be a champion again. I don’t see the Bisping fight as a farewell. I’m not thinking about that, right now. I showed I’m doing well and I want to climb the ranks so I can secure another title shot. I don’t think about changing weight classes (since Bisping stated he would he moving back to the light heavyweight division) at the moment. I believe it’s a fight many people want to see, so we can make some adjustments so it can better suit both athletes.”

“I’m always trying to perfect my skills and this time it wasn’t different. I spent some of my camp in Belem, alongside my father and brothers, and the other part in Los Angeles, with my coaches and the support of my family. I’ve been changing some aspects of my training program in the last six months. I have less body fat and I have better athletic performance. I really took care of my physical and mental health, so I could perform well in my last two outings and the results came as we planned. I’m showing that you’re able to overcome some challenges just with focus, dedication and the right tools.”

When it comes to the starching front kick that knocked Belfort out cold in Rio de Janeiro, in almost identical fashion as the one Anderson Silva used to knock Vitor out back in 2011, Machida doesn’t have much to say other than it being just one of the many secret weapons he carries in his karate arsenal and that it wasn’t really something he planned ahead, before the fight.

“I don’t train that kick specifically, it’s a part of my karate arsenal. I think that’s crucial to always keeping myself in tune with original martial arts. That way I can always explore my repertoire of strikes at the right strategic time. I was really focused on finding a way to surprise Vitor and finish the fight. When I saw the opportunity, I connected with the kick. My plan was to knock him out and surprise him. We can’t plan which strike will be responsible for that, so it was improvised, in a way.”

The current UFC middleweight champion, Robert Whittaker, also comes from a background in karate, although he fights in a style that differs a lot from Lyoto’s. This could make for an intriguing matchup between both fighters. However, as Machida’s puts it, all those credentials don’t count for much in MMA since it’s a different kind of martial art. Nonetheless, the Brazilian doesn’t rule out taking on ‘The Reaper’ if he still holds the belt after meeting Yoel Romero at UFC 225.

“Robert has been doing a great job, but I don’t plan to fight against his style. I believe that, in MMA, we just have a martial art. It’s not my karate against his or jiu-jitsu against karate. My goal is to go after whoever has the belt. If he has the belt, of course I’m interested in fighting him.”

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Respect the hell out of Machida but his chin cant take another run. He is gonna get clipped again eventually, just a matter of time.

might as well make Senior MMA to go with WMMA.

it would need some strict rules to avoid exploitation but it could work.

I remember when he was champion and he wanted to retire at 34... I'd like for him to retire and enjoy life with friends and family.

Machida be me favorite fighter right? But i just can't take another brutal KO loss

723machidaseagal.jpg

Unlikely he'll contend for a belt again but, ya never know.

It seems not uncommon for an aged fighter coming off losses to tough contenders to win a fight against far easier competition and Have it ignite title run hopes again.

he should go to LHzw

Only way he gets another title shot is if hes feeded lower rank guys.

That top 15 at MW has too many hard hitters, Costa, Kelvin even Brunson again would all KO him.

I would be intrigued by a Uriah Hall/Machida fight though or Shogun/Machida 3 if Shogun loses to Volkan.

He beats an over the hill fighter and wants to go on a title run?

Bye Felecia...

Maybe he's thinking of the future, going to bellator. heh

Amazing how much confidence he's getting from koing an old deflated Vitor.

I can't stand when old guys think they should be competing for titles against guys half their age. If they are not ready to retire, that's fine. I love to continue to watch them fight and see them still get paid for it. However they should just fight guys their own age at a certain point. I'd love to see Machida vs Bisping. Machida vs Whitaker or Romero, not so much.

I think he is ok for a few more. With good matchmaking its totally possible

But talking about a title run is just a bit ridiculous at this point

He beats an over the hill fighter and wants to go on a title run?

Bye Felecia...

Every fighter in the UFC wants to go on a title run... There is no other object in MMA or any other prize fighting.

Have you ever heard of a fighter, after a win or a loss say something along the lines of:.... "I'm looking for somebody ranked below me right now"

Shit... Even Chael is on another "title run"

LOL! I love watching Machida get beat up. I'm game! Do it Machida!

[QUOTE="sampuncher, post: 141481951, member: 455811"

I would be intrigued by a Uriah Hall/Machida fight though .[/QUOTE]

That would be one of the most boring fights of the year.

Back