Can Daniel Cormier be more athletic?

Alphaboy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He's obviously a strong guy and fit enough to be competing with the top fighter in the world, but he seems a little flabby.

I am wondering if he were a little tighter would he be more athletic (perhaps even strong enough to defeat he who must not be named?) Would being less chubby help him with say, cardio?

20140213015944_daniel_cormier.JPG

Not really no, espeically not at his age.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Let the man have his popeyes.

Not really no, espeically not at his age.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Let the man have his popeyes.

This. If DC was coming into the game at 25 maybe. The guy is 40. He is who he is at this point and he probably only has 1-2 fights left. Let the man eat and do his thing. He's still an all timer

Nope. Athletically, he's past his prime. He could be leaner, but that wouldn't necessarily impact his performance, especially considering that his stamina isn't really an issue. He's not getting any faster, his reflexes will noticeably slow in the next few years, basically he should just focus on settling at the weight where he feels strongest. At either lhw or hw, when the decline hits, he's gonna take some harsh beatings.

Nope. Athletically, he's past his prime. He could be leaner, but that wouldn't necessarily impact his performance, especially considering that his stamina isn't really an issue. He's not getting any faster, his reflexes will noticeably slow in the next few years, basically he should just focus on settling at the weight where he feels strongest. At either lhw or hw, when the decline hits, he's gonna take some harsh beatings.

He said this is his last year of fighting

So he'll probably get out before that steep decline and the beatings that often follow it.

If he gets KO'd by Stipe I think he retires or takes one more LHW defence

If he beats Stipe I think he looks for the Brock payday and retires

Being athletic has not much to do with having some fat around your waist. Apart from some fat Cormier also has a very very strong core, almost strongman-esque. It helps him fighting the way he does, lift people, punch hard etc.

No need for him to look like a bodybuilder imo. He is close to being a GOAT contender and he did it all with the body he has.

WAR Cormier.

<5>

Age doesn't help cause your metabolism slows down and your test levels is on a decline. But yeah it's possible. More cardio and a better diet. But of course that goes for everyone, including young fighters. The easiest and most effective way to stay lean is to use PEDS tho.

Last edited:
Well Cormier surely won't change at this point, especially since he has between 1 and 3 fights left. Obviously if he were streamline his body, he'd have an easier time to be explosive, as he has to move less mass but losing 10-20 lbs of fat won't turn him into Randleman either. I think his chub, while generally unhealthy, serves him well in his fighting. You got to realize that while fat deposits don't work like muscle, added weight does help in regards to leverage with your legs, hips and arms when you punch. When he gets that entire body behind a punch, it's going to hurt badly.

At the same time, it's really hard to man handle a massive guy like DC and obviously his weight helps him wrestle too.

In closing, DC doesn't have the optimal athlete body but fighting is about more than just having a shredded body. Also, it's really hard to get to 205 at his height being at 10-14% BF without PEDs, just saying.

The amount of of people with biceps bigger than my quads, that I've outlased in breath, strength, and speed in sparring.
Aesthetics means closed to nothing.

What’s the point? He’s beat everyone he’s faced but 1 fighter.

He’s athletic enough. May not have chiseled aesthitics but it works.

I'm confused how losing a bit of fat would increase his athleticism. It might make him slightly faster simply because he would literally be lighter but that is not athleticism.

He's obviously a strong guy and fit enough to be competing with the top fighter in the world, but he seems a little flabby.

I am wondering if he were a little tighter would he be more athletic (perhaps even strong enough to defeat he who must not be named?) Would being less chubby help him with say, cardio?

His cardio is amazing, he is a constant pressure fighter who never stops moving forwards. Incredible that people see him beat huge guys like rumble and bigfoot and then want to say he's doing it wrong because he has no abs

None of us here will ever know the tiniest fraction of what dc knows about peak performance

I've seen guys who look like him or even flabbier, do some amazing things. Not at that age though. That's what sets him apart. He's getting older and slower like everyone else(with the exception of Yoel). Now put some TRT in that there body and we might see some amazing things...
<DCWhoa>

If he was anymore athletic in or around his weight class, he would be Yoel Romero.

Sure, if he took steroids like Jones.

In all seriousness though, he probably could lose a little body fat but there's not really any evidence to suggest that would improve his cardio. Look at Roy Nelson. Guy has amazing cardio for someone his size, then you have people like Conor, who gas out quite quickly but also recover very quickly. I'm sure the guy knows what he's doing and chances are that's just his natural body type.

His cardio is amazing, he is a constant pressure fighter who never stops moving forwards. Incredible that people see him beat huge guys like rumble and bigfoot and then want to say he's doing it wrong because he has no abs

None of us here will ever know the tiniest fraction of what dc knows about peak performance
Sherdog has always been infatuated with ze muscles. Every fighter that does not look like Sage Northcutt is carrying useless fat that they would be better off without if they ripped down.

<Huh2>

Nah not at all. Cormier has great cardio, he can do 5 rounds at a high pace with ease. If he got ripped like you want he would probably be worse and his wrestling would suffer. Keep the fat on the thighs and ass area and its much harder to wrestle with, those guys are so hard to take down.

The best HW's are always chubby anyway, Fedor, Cain, Cormier.. Stipe is the only one who is lean who is one of the best. The chubby guys will normally always beat the ripped guys in HW.

Sherdog has always been infatuated with ze muscles. Every fighter that does not look like Sage Northcutt is carrying useless fat that they would be better off without if they ripped down.

<Huh2>

disgusts me when the likes of rogan bang on about this, should know better. can you imagine rogan vs dc with all his "extra fat"? i dont think everyones body is supposed to work the same, it seems perfectly reasonable to me that some people are going to be stronger, stay hydrated better, and have more energy, when their body has a bit more fat on it. most people are never going to have abs unless they are on a seriously restricted diet. do we really wanna restrict calories to that extent?

tl;dr -

mma fans are gay

The amount of of people with biceps bigger than my quads, that I've outlased in breath, strength, and speed in sparring.
Aesthetics means closed to nothing.

True that, plenty of guys train for looks, strength but endurance training is tough so many cheat on their conditioning. But shit conditioning kills you in the ring.

Back