ESPN: Still 12 PPV's a Year, Only 10 Fights a year on ESPN Cable

Dsingleton7

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/23581729/espn-ufc-reach-five-year-television-rights-deal

The deal consists of 30 UFC Fight Night events per year, including 10 main cards on ESPN's television networks. The other 20 will stream on ESPN+, the company's newly launched streaming service.

Additionally, ESPN networks will air preliminary bouts prior to 12 pay-per-view events in 2019.

Initially I thought most of the 30 fight cards were going to be on ESPN channels and PPV would decline and we would get better events on cable. Looks like most UFC events are going behind the ESPN+ curtain. This is probably the end of me being a UFC super fan. I'm going to give PFL a good try though as most of their content won't be behind any paywall.

I will keep watching via other means like there’s no tomorrow!

R.I.P. FightPass

I thought fightpass was supposed to have a few events exclusive to it? Prob not worth keeping it if not then. Ebi n glory are awesome but ill find other methods to watch those.

Dana-White-Money.jpg

I wish they would drop it to 6 PPVs but I'm liking the deal. I have no problem with 4.99 a month for 30 shows. Basically everything but PPV.

edit, i suck at math and/or reading comprehension.

Last edited:
http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/23581729/espn-ufc-reach-five-year-television-rights-deal

The deal consists of 30 UFC Fight Night events per year, including 10 main cards on ESPN's television networks. The other 20 will stream on ESPN+, the company's newly launched streaming service.

Additionally, ESPN networks will air preliminary bouts prior to 12 pay-per-view events in 2019.

Initially I thought most of the 30 fight cards were going to be on ESPN channels and PPV would decline and we would get better events on cable. Looks like most UFC events are going behind the ESPN+ curtain. This is probably the end of me being a UFC super fan. I'm going to give PFL a good try though as most of their content won't be behind any paywall.

Isn't ESPN+ only like 5 bucks a montha nd you get all the back UFC catalogue and exclusive type stuff?

So according to the article:
  • The deal consists of 30 UFC Fight Night events per year
    • 10 main cards on ESPN's television networks
    • 20 will stream on ESPN+
  • UFC Fight Night events consist of 12 bouts.
  • preliminary bouts prior to 12 pay-per-view events in 2019.
or to put it another way (if i'm reading this right):
  1. ESPN will have 10 main events, 12 fight nights and 12 prelims from PPVs
  2. ESPN+ will have 20 full events
if people were already worried about over-saturation, they certainly won't stop now.

Far as I know they will only have the 30, ten Fight NIghts on ESPN, the other 20 on ESPN+, then also have prelims before the PPV's. Where are you getting the extra 12 fight nights?

Well it looks like I'm an ESPN+ guy now. The UFC deal, combined with their boxing deals, have made ESPN+ quite attractive for combat sports fans.

so the ufc will still be dying

more watered down cards for espn+
less viewers outside the us
no increase in the us because they went to espn not hbo

it's fine for the us
but it's not taking it to the next level.
it's peaked

So according to the article:
  • The deal consists of 30 UFC Fight Night events per year
    • 10 main cards on ESPN's television networks
    • 20 will stream on ESPN+
  • UFC Fight Night events consist of 12 bouts.
  • preliminary bouts prior to 12 pay-per-view events in 2019.
or to put it another way (if i'm reading this right):
  1. ESPN will have 10 main events, 12 fight nights and 12 prelims from PPVs
  2. ESPN+ will have 20 full events
if people were already worried about over-saturation, they certainly won't stop now.

The bold is wrong buddy

How many do they average per year on FS1 and FOX?

This along with getting rid of Fight Pass cards can be a blessing for card depth

Far as I know they will only have the 30, ten Fight NIghts on ESPN, the other 20 on ESPN+, then also have prelims before the PPV's. Where are you getting the extra 12 fight nights?

The bold is wrong buddy

i read this sentence really, really wrong: "UFC Fight Night events consist of 12 bouts." (insert sheepish grin here)

Dude its 5 bucks and gives exposure to a lot of casuals. Its better than fight pass already. I wasnt happy at first but this deal sounds legit for the ufc as far as exposure.

This is basically the same deal they have with fox but now its with espn. I dont get all the bitching.

Back