Do you care if fighters are douchebags? Is that a criteria for your interest level in watching them?

The Big Bang

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
While I respect the viewpoint of wanting to watch fights regardless of whether or not a given fighter or fighters are assholes, I simply cannot do that.

I find myself rooting against assholes and rooting for class acts.

I used to enjoy watching Conor when he was first starting out...just like I enjoyed watching Ronda in Strikeforce...but in both cases, they both started projecting their own (VAST) insecurities onto the world in the most CRINGE sort of way... Disgusting.

I used to like JJ too...but much like Conor and Ronda, her fragile ego was on display for all to see, combined with the WORST cringe shit talking...

Whereas WMMA fighters like Karolina Kowalkiewicz and Valentina Schevchenko EXUDE class and charm.

If only a fighter like Maia (who is truly honorable) was the norm instead of the exception...

If only the UFC was more like Pride and less like the WWE...

there is ample evidence that most viewers need some sort of emotional attachment to care. the sport / contest simply isn't enough. across most sports.

some like the white hats. some like the black hats. some love black hats vs white hats.

few of us don't care either way and could enjoy a great contest regardless of the personalities involved.

Yes, but on different levels.

If you're talking douchebag as in "man, I have to tune in to see this motherfucker lose" (e.g. Floyd Mayweather), it affects my interest level by increasing it.

If you're talking douchebag as in "please, just make this dumbass shut the fuck up" (e.g. Colby Covington), then I am less interested.

Don't care. I like who I like based on fighting style.

It depends on how much of an asshole you are.

I'm a Jones, McGregor, Covington and Necktat hater.

While I don't have any problems with Bisping, Sonnen or Lewis.

I liked Bisping a lot on TUF but did a 180 after the Hamill fight. I was a big Matt Hughes fan and got to spend a day training with him. He was such an asshole to some of the people there that I can't stand him now. Fans were allowed to watch and an older guy paid to bring his kid to watch. Matt disrespected the old guy in front of his kid over and over for absolutely no reason. I never paid for another card he fought on after that.

well i love seeing douchebags ko'd
MinorImpoliteHuemul-size_restricted.gif

Gimme a break.

This isn't a popularity contest.

I'd rather GSP be a straight up Jersey Shore guido douche and have a pulse than be the "classy," duplicitous, fraudulent point fighter he has been for years.

The fight game is interesting because each person has a uniquie story that help to get fans invested in watching them. Of course personality is a huge part of the equation.

Honestly, I will not get more interested in the fight because one fighter shittalked another. They are both going in to take each others heads off, nothing they can say to each other will be worse than their intentions in the octagon.

At 32 I'm too old to really be bothered by any drama, but I guess if you came straight out of puberty or have other problems with your testosteron you'll go: "No he didn't! Now I GOTTA watch the fight."

There are the obvious assholes and the less so.

Everyone is jumping on the Colby and Kevin Lee hate train since they are projecting arrogance and trash talking. It doesn't go in line with other interviews when they are being themselves. Same with Conor, JJ and.... well sort of Rousey.

The less obvious assholes would be the quiet ones like Khabib and Gustaffson. They aren't braggers and show offs, but some of their actions and a certain something they exude makes it hard to truly like them. At least, in my case, it is this way.

Someone like Paul Felder gets my back up and I have no good reason to give why. The way he obliterated Charles Oliveira and clearly seemed to be enjoying it doesn't match up to the pleasant way he interviews fighters and talks on commentary.

I don't buy into the cynicism that all fighters are doping (since only simple minded whiney loser bitches want to believe everyone is as self defeatist as they are), but I do feel Paul Felder is doping and is possibly allowed to get away with it.

In the UFC, narcissism is REWARDED...hence the similarity to the WWE...

I don't like that.

My point is this. Fighters are obviously playing characters. Colby for example. To cheer against this person because of that, benefits them because at the end of the day, you're watching them fight.

If fans really didn't like this type of behavior, they could ignore it. But, people love drama. People love the good guy bad guy story. People love cheering against the bad guy. That's why this is so promiment in MMA.

Don't blame the UFC, they're just giving the fans what they want.

You are asking people here as if they know how they think or what they feel. Most people are clueless.

Like many of those who have posted here, I can feel some additional enthusiasm for watching a fighter with an obnoxious public persona take punishment, but it's really his talent as a fighter that keeps me engaged; just watching someone say nasty things and then get in the cage to take a beating wouldn't do much for me if he coudn't put up a good fight. The personality issue is a thin layer of icing on the cake.

wasnt a fan but never minded ronda, probably because i never paid attention to what she did outside the cage, and her fights were fun.

Back