Will ESPN eventually destroy the UFC PPV

zxyss25

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
https://mmajunkie.com/2018/05/espn-ufc-full-tv-rights-deal-fox-out

UFC & ESPN have a new deal that promises 30 events per year on ESPN, plus another 15 on ESPN+ streaming (probably the fights that were on fight pass such as DW Contender series and international fight cards)

I actually could see the UFC TV schedule shifting more like major sports, depending more on advertising than PPV buys, as the sport continues to grow and viewership rises

Maybe they put the major cards on ABC to get a national audience, similar to what the major sports with ESPN for their big games like playoffs and generate more money off advertisements than PPV buys?

Could you imagine if the SuperBowl or Stanley Cup playoffs were on PPV?

I know it didnt work as well with Boxing, but I think the UFC has a much bigger casual following than boxing

Also, will TUF stay on ESPN?

It's going to be weird for sure. I have a feeling that UFC cards are going to constantly be preempted by crap like soccer matches and softball games and end up on obscure ESPN channels.

Unless they plan to have them all on this new ESPN+ channel or whatever that people have to pay for among the other 15 ESPN channels

I think the UFC and the PPV buys will be the same regardless of what channel they are promoted on.

I hope so. Charging fans 70 bucks for shit cards over saturated with no names or WMMA bullshit has to stop.

Destroy?
PPV wont exist in 10 years with or without ESPN and theres nothing anyone can do to change that
Its a dying industry which is why the UFC is shifting all its focus to tv rights fees and streaming services just like WWE already did
Its not a coincidence that the two biggest PPV content providers in America are both looking elsewhere for the future of their companies

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/05/espn-ufc-full-tv-rights-deal-fox-out

UFC & ESPN have a new deal that promises 30 events per year on ESPN, plus another 15 on ESPN+ streaming (probably the fights that were on fight pass such as DW Contender series and international fight cards)

I actually could see the UFC TV schedule shifting more like major sports, depending more on advertising than PPV buys, as the sport continues to grow and viewership rises

Maybe they put the major cards on ABC to get a national audience, similar to what the major sports with ESPN for their big games like playoffs and generate more money off advertisements than PPV buys?

Could you imagine if the SuperBowl or Stanley Cup playoffs were on PPV?

I know it didnt work as well with Boxing, but I think the UFC has a much bigger casual following than boxing

Also, will TUF stay on ESPN?

It depends on the number of ppvs and fightpass events the UFC tries to carry. That is 30 events on ESPN, FOX had 22 total events in 2017.(39 events overall in 2017) If the UFC keeps the current schedule of 12 ppvs and 5 fight pass events(a total 47 events) expect an accelerated downward spiral.

How much is the ESPN app where we’ll be able to get all UFC content?

New belts will be renamed:

Subway Sandwiches Strawweight Championship.

KFlyweightC Championship.

Bud Light Bantamweight Championship.

Firestone Tires Featherweight Championship.

Lumber Liquidator Lightweight Championship.

Wells Fargo Welterweight Championship.

Lending Tree Mortgage Light Heavyweight Championship.

Home Depot Heavyweight Chamnpionship.

I hope so. Charging fans 70 bucks for shit cards over saturated with no names or WMMA bullshit has to stop.
I can’t believe it’s thaf much in the USA.In England we pay about £22 per month for a channel and all the cards,football,boxing,rugby is included,£60 for a PPV is outrageous

Its not going to destroy the UFC. We can already see that path they are going down. The cards will be watered down. Hardcore fans that watch every card will get bored and slowly move on but they will be replaced by random casuals that are at home with nothing to watch and end up turning on UFC while they half pay attention.

I think UFC will reduce the number of PPVs to like 6-8 a year which is needed and would be smart

good the PPV model is the worst thing to ever happen

Back