Why didn't Maia and Wonderboy get as much criticism for their fight with Woodley?

notori0us1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've always found it weird how people were throwing shade at Woodley for putting out boring performances as if he was the only guy fighting in that Octagon, when both Wonderboy and Maia did nothing. It is the responsibility of the hungry title challenger to go on the offensive and put his heart and soul into the Octagon to show that he is deserving of the belt. Both Maia and Thompson failed to do that. All Woodley had to do as champ was to defend intellingently which is what he exactly did.

I've never understood this one sided criticism of Woodley and honestly the fact that Choirboy has gotten not even half the criticism for both his performances makes me sympathize with Woodley feeling like he is being unfairly treated.

Woodley isn't wrong. Simple as that.

Most likely because Wonderboy and Maia are not the ones being obnoxious running around and telling the world how they're the GOAT, and they also don't cry about how unfair the UFC and the world is to them for ridiculous reasons (e.g. allegedly not being put in the spotlight he thinks he deserves...and then delivering boring fights like these).

Most likely because Wonderboy and Maia are not the ones being obnoxious running around and telling the world how they're the GOAT, and they also don't cry about how unfair the UFC and the world is to them for ridiculous reasons (e.g. allegedly not being put in the spotlight he thinks he deserves...and then delivering boring fights like these).
Yeah but they equally contributed to the fight being boring.

If Maia won, he'd be the one getting the most criticism. If Wonderboy won, he'd get a pass because he's usually exciting.

Maia does get a lot of shit for being boring though. Maybe Xenophobia towards Brazillians?

Last edited:
The blame should be on the challengers not the champ. The champ's job is to defend. It's the challengers role to chase the belt and go after it.

Woodley deserves ZERO criticism at all.

Because nobody talks about losers. But those fights definitely reflect worse on them is why neither will ever fight woodley again. They're already being punished enough as gatekeepers. Also neither pretend they were amazing in those fights.

The it's not woodley s fault he's been boring don't negate the fact he's been boring. And then there's his interviews <{you!}>

Wonderboy almost got KTFO twice, once in each fight

Woodley easily outstruck him and dropped him. No reason for him to get crap for the Wonderboy fights.

I do think he could’ve opened up his hands more vs Maia, but no big deal.

Tons of posters pointed out it was both fighters fault. However, certain posters on this forum only remember reading what they want to remember reading.

Remember when Marqurdt smashed Woodley.
TrT Nate vs TrT Vitor would have been awesome.

Thompson got A LOT of hate. Woodley gets hated more because of the shit he says. Maia always gets a pass because he’s like the nicest guy ever, but as a fighter I talk shit about him all the time and have also brought up how he’s defended over shit someone else would get hated for.

<PlusJuan>

Ever since Redhawks100 brought racism to the board things haven't been the same.

tbh it's a compliment to Woodley in a sense

people think he was good enough to finish either one but wouldn't take even the slightest risk

The blame should be on the challengers not the champ. The champ's job is to defend. It's the challengers role to chase the belt and go after it.

So champs are supposed to do this?

14330163_10154477032863416_6244013127599541358_n1.jpg

Again, they never claimed to be those amazing, exciting fighters. Woodley did. And then he didn't deliver. Fans will let you eat your words for that. If Woodley was as great as he is he should've been able to take over the fight and make it exciting or finish it. But he played it super safe, which is usually legitimate against such dangerous opponents, but makes you look weak and like a joke after all the bragging and all the lofty claims.

I'm one of the seemingly few fans of Woodley here, and even i disagree with that.
The blame goes both ways for a fight. It's the same shit when people called Mayweather a boring boxer as if he was in the ring by himself.
It's up to the challenger to make it an exciting fight.
Wonderboy especially deserves just as much, if not more criticism for his performance because he is the challenger, and his strong suit is supposed to be striking.

Where Tyron gets blame is him asking for money fights and wondering why the UFC doesn’t market him as much while hes having these lackluster fights he's had.

Tons of posters pointed out it was both fighters fault. However, certain posters on this forum only remember reading what they want to remember reading.
Basically this. In every Maia thread there are tons of people pointing out how boring he is because of his performances against Silva and specially Woodley, so I really don´t know what TS is talking about either.

Back