Everyone complains that UFC gives us weak PPVs.. but is that really true?

MMA fan93

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Okay, so I looked at the PPVs in the last 2 years, ie from May 2016. Taking UFC 198 as a starting point, I started to look at the PPV cards for each PPV, and tried to judge whether it was a 'strong card on paper'.
in my humble opinion, the following PPV cards were an 8 or above on paper for me:
UFC 198
UFC 199
UFC 200
UFC 202
UFC 205
UFC 207
UFC 211
UFC 214
UFC 217
UFC 218
UFC 220
UFC 223 (before the tripping and the dolly was a 10, but even after that I personally was still really looking forward to the card)

That's 12 great PPV cards in 2 years, and that's not even counting the cards that were initially supposed to be amazing, but fell through because of injuries etc. like UFC 206, UFC 209 etc.

Ofcourse we might disagree on 2-3 PPVs that I mentioned, but more or less the list would probably be the same for most fans.

Also, the coming 3 PPV seem to be some of the best on paper - UFC 225, UFC 226 and UFC 227 (if the rumored card is true).

I don't know about you guys, but I love the quality of cards that we get. Fight nights generally feature up and coming talent to give them more exposure, PPV are generally great and Fox cards are a mix of the two.

For me, its a good time to be an MMA fan, and has been for a few years.

I really don't get the bitching about the PPVs. Opinions?

Okay, so I looked at the PPVs in the last 2 years, ie from May 2016. Taking UFC 198 as a starting point, I started to look at the PPV cards for each PPV, and tried to judge whether it was a 'strong card on paper'.
in my humble opinion, the following PPV cards were an 8 or above on paper for me:
UFC 198
UFC 199
UFC 200
UFC 202
UFC 205
UFC 207
UFC 211
UFC 214
UFC 217
UFC 218
UFC 220
UFC 223 (before the tripping and the dolly was a 10, but even after that I personally was still really looking forward to the card)

That's 12 great PPV cards in 2 years, and that's not even counting the cards that were initially supposed to be amazing, but fell through because of injuries etc. like UFC 206, UFC 209 etc.

Ofcourse we might disagree on 2-3 PPVs that I mentioned, but more or less the list would probably be the same for most fans.

Also, the coming 3 PPV seem to be some of the best on paper - UFC 225, UFC 226 and UFC 227 (if the rumored card is true).

I don't know about you guys, but I love the quality of cards that we get. Fight nights generally feature up and coming talent to give them more exposure, PPV are generally great and Fox cards are a mix of the two.

How much did you pay for these PPVs? Combined.

Get PPVs for free in my country.

Well, I guess that's why the whole topic is irrelevant to you. Those who are bitching = those who actually pay for it because these are not free cards for them.
Now if you have actually to pay for each card you have different perspective.

Well, I guess that's why the whole topic is irrelevant to you. Those who are bitching = those who actually pay for it because these are not free cards for them.
Now if you have actually to pay for each card you have different perspective.
The pay thing is huge because there are often cards with low name value which turn out to have exciting fights.

But if you're voting with your wallet, you only find out these were worth buying later, because the lineup wasn't "stacked" enough for you to shell out.

It's mostly all the same to me though, I haven't bought a PPV since probably 2010.

8KjTAQf.gif

Yes. Yes it is.

But if you're voting with your wallet, you only find out these were worth buying later, because the lineup wasn't "stacked" enough for you to shell out.

Yeah , and sometimes it's vise versa...
Also, if you pay to watch your favorite fighter(s), you will not complain that the fight was boring . Or that the matchup was bad.

the ppvs and cards have been awful

zuffa were spamming cards to cash out
wme have no idea what to do so are following on from zuffa

sport isn't growing in the us
it's declining everywhere else
but hey lets keep spamming cards with 1/2 good fights on it

I've gone from watching 95% of the cards to missing 95%

they are focusing too much on the us
like the sport is actually neck and neck with football

like i said
the ufc will be done and dusted by 2023

Yeah, and Wonderboy vs Till has a great fight card.

Damn. At this point, right now, NO posts have likes.

Yeah, and Wonderboy vs Till has a great fight card.

Great? Magny vs newcomer?
Not-really-exciting featherweights in Allen and Amirkhani (let's be honest, they aren't)
Grant-Bermudez? Spicely-Stewart? Maybe Spicely will give us nice sub...or will be a victim of a nice sub....

But that is all they have. Besides, obviously, main event.

the ppvs and cards have been awful

zuffa were spamming cards to cash out
wme have no idea what to do so are following on from zuffa

sport isn't growing in the us
it's declining everywhere else
but hey lets keep spamming cards with 1/2 good fights on it

I've gone from watching 95% of the cards to missing 95%

they are focusing too much on the us
like the sport is actually neck and neck with football

like i said
the ufc will be done and dusted by 2023
giphy.gif

They run 3 times as many cards as they did 8 years ago, of course the events are going to be watered down.

It's equivalent to watching a 10 team NBA vs a 32 team NBA.

It's not true at all.

These are the elite on every card and it's just a spoiled fan base that needs to have their perception massaged properly.

The problem is conceived value of one PPV compared to another.

We get spoiled with a stack PPV card and then bitch when we get like we got at UFC 224 for the same price. How it comes off doesn't matter in the end if you didn't watch it or pay for it. For so long the fans had to find a way to watch the PPV's because we didn't get 40 free cards a year or whatever, they just meant more to the fans. Fans now can get a good MMA fix without paying with all the free events. Plus forcing your fans to pay month after month, year after year wears on them and they find other creative ways to watch your product without paying. Not too mention fans feel much more educated today than 10 years ago or whatever.

The issue is that you're a noob - only looking back 2 yrs - and these cards seem great because you haven't watched long enough to know anything different.

That's what the UFC is counting on - churn the fanbase long enough, until the old-timers give up, while bringing in enough newcomers, until almost no one understands that things used to be different.

The PPV quality is garbage.

Not only that but a 125 lbs division and WMMA make the cards even more watered down.

I don't want to hear from you if PPV's are free in your country.

I also don't want to hear bullshit about how no name fighters can put on barn burners- that's not the point. A peewee football game can be very exciting too, but I'm not paying top dollar to watch it. I want big names on the PPV and big names only.

UFC should be reserved for top quality guys only. It used to be prestigious to fight in that org. They should cut 75% of their roster.

Back