Faber vs Maia: Who is the Best Fighter Never to Win UFC Gold?

ArtemV

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Thoughts?

Edit: UFC* fighter. I am a huge fan of Fedor, but he has never fought in the UFC, so is excluded from this thread.

Last edited:
Limited to only these two, I'd go with Faber. All-time, though, I'd go with Pedro Rizzo as the best UFC fighter to never wear a UFC belt.

Definitely Maia. Faber was a pioneer and a fun fighter to watch but he was never part of the elite. Maia was a top 5 level fighter for about a decade and only had problems due to match-ups which is just inevitable for particular styles, but he never got handled or destroyed by someone. Faber on the other hand looked pretty bad when he had to go up against guys like Aldo, Cruz or Barao. You just saw that the best of the best were a couple of steps ahead in every aspect of the game. His time was back when the lower weight classes still didn't have much spotlight and were in the developing phase, he was one of the guys that managed to rise to the top there rather quickly. Of course the competition of that time can't be compared to what you've had in Bantamweight and Featherweight this decade.

LMFAO @ a 1 dimensional bjj guy who often gets owned being the best fighter to not win UFC gold...LMFAO.

Holyshit do hipsters overrate him lol.

Btw the real answer is Fedor/Hendo.

Last edited:

giphy.gif

LMFAO @ a 1 dimensional bjj guy who often gets owned being the best fighter to not win UFC gold...LMFAO.

Holyshit do hipster overrate him lol.

Btw the real answer is Fedor/Hendo.
You call Maia one-dimensional, yet seem to dismiss the fact that Hendo was a headhunter for the latter part of his career in the UFC.. and did nothing but headhunt.

If there's one championship caliber fighter who never got the belt but should have, it's Urijah Faber.

It's simply unfortunate that he met Renan Barao when he did, if those fights had been against any other fighters besides Barao or Cruz, the history of BW could well look very different.

Don't forget Kenny Florian....he was tearing everyone up besides Penn, Aldo and Maynard.

Last edited:
Definitely Maia. Faber was a pioneer and a fun fighter to watch but he was never part of the elite. Maia was a top 5 level fighter for about a decade and only had problems due to match-ups which is just inevitable for particular styles, but he never got handled or destroyed by someone. Faber on the other hand looked pretty bad when he had to go up against guys like Aldo, Cruz or Barao. You just saw that the best of the best were a couple of steps ahead in every aspect of the game. His time was back when the lower weight classes still didn't have much spotlight and were in the developing phase, he was one of the guys that managed to rise to the top there rather quickly. Of course the competition of that time can't be compared to what you've had in Bantamweight and Featherweight this decade.
Never got handled or destroyed?....what? Damn you hipsters are worse than I thought.

Maia got KTFO by Nate marquardt in the first round lol.....Tyron owned him, it looked as if tyron was never in a fight lol....Anderson Silva embarassed him lol.

The only reason he wasnt finished in the tyron/silva fights was because both tyron and silva played it safe, and MAIA also played it safe by taking minimal risk.....(only a few times against Anderson, he was a aggressive but thats when he got desperate lol)...but both tyron and Silva handled him, they were clearly better.

You call Maia one-dimensional, yet seem to dismiss the fact that Hendo was a headhunter for the latter part of his career in the UFC.. and did nothing but headhunt.
Hendo's wrestling allowed him to headhunt....He was much more well rounded.

He was also a much better fighter than Maia.

Never got handled or destroyed?....what? Damn you hipsters are worse than I thought.

Maia got KTFO by Nate marquardt in the first round lol.....Tyron owned him, it looked as if tyron was never in a fight lol....Anderson Silva embarassed him lol.

The only reason he wasnt finished in the tyron/silva fights was because both tyron and silva played it safe, and MAIA also played it safe by taking minimal risk.....(only a few times against Anderson, he was a aggressive but thats when he got desperate lol)...but both tyron and Silva handled him, they were clearly better.
"You hipsters", okay, always nice to know when such a mature intelligent person replies to my comments. lol lol lol .... Seriously, have some decency and some manners if you want to reply to my comments, then you might actually get an answer to your inaccurate statements.

Hendo, Gustaffson, Fitch and Marquardt.

I firmly believe Marquardt and Fitch would've been champs in their prime had it not been for GSP and Anderson.

Rumble basically cleaned out the LHW division except for DC (and Jones, but they never fought).

Gus
Bader
Davis
Glover
Manuwa
Lil Nog

All destroyed or dominated.

Back