Should active fighters analyst and hosting jobs?

eon001

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Dominic Cruz, Tyron Woodley, Michael Bisping, Paul Felder, Daniel Cormier, etc.

Would these analyst and hosting jobs be better utilized by retired fighters?

Jens Pulver are both Chris Lytle guy's that have done analysts work. Decades of experience. I'm sure there's plenty of other retired vets that would jump at the chance.

I'll add that Felder was on the MMA hour complaining about how distracting the extra work is and how it takes away from his training. If the analysts work leads to less focused fighters then maybe they shouldn't be doing these jobs while there actively competing.

Personally I always felt the UFC should have used Josh Barnett a lot more, very knowledgeable, well spoken and doesn't show the same kind of bias many other ex pro's do.

Felder being unable to handle the work load, doesn't mean every fighter can't. I don't think that's a good argument.

There are likely better and more "deserving" vets who could do the job, but in terms of promoting your product, of course you put your fighters on TV for 30min or whatever they get.

You could argue there should be at least one on every show as a guest type host/analyst, and use a lot of different fighters. I would love to see someone like Tai Tuviasa there for a show.

Personally I always felt the UFC should have used Josh Barnett a lot more, very knowledgeable, well spoken and doesn't show the same kind of bias many other ex pro's do.
Felt the same about Frank Mir. He had a WEC analyst job, but couldn't get close to the UFC commentary gig.

I think all these guys do a good job talking about the fights, so I don’t see why not. I don’t think there’s any guns to their head, and they’re getting a foot in the door for the future when they’ll inevitably be retiring from the actual combat aspect of the sport.

Jens Pulver are both Chris Lytle guy's that have done analysts work. Decades of experience. I'm sure there's plenty of other retired vets that would jump at the chance.

I'll add that Felder was on the MMA hour complaining about how distracting the extra work is and how it takes away from his training. If the analysts work leads to less focused fighters then maybe they shouldn't be doing these jobs while there actively competing.

Personally I'd rather they be retired fighters simply because they're more likely to be objective and less likely to be self-serving.

An example off the top of my head: when Cormier commentated Jones vs. OSP, he sounded like he was cornering OSP and in some instances was cheering for him.

Personally I'd rather they be retired fighters simply because they're more likely to be objective and less likely to be self-serving.

An example off the top of my head: when Cormier commentated Jones vs. OSP, he sounded like he was cornering OSP and in some instances was cheering for him.

That's actually an excellent point. Didn't think about that. I was looking at it from a "Share the wealth" point of view. From what I understand, Felder does commentary, the Contender series, and does a bit of acting and stunt work on the side, in addition to training and fighting. The guy has an embarrassment of riches. Kinda annoyed me because he sounded like he was fed up. Some fighters can't even get fights. (Yair got cut).

Sorry about the rant. Not hating on Felder. I just think the system should be set up better for vets. Chuck and Matt Hughes should have done some kind of UFC media work, instead of those stupid, "do nothing and get paid " ceremonial jobs.

you work a part -time job at Culver's and another part-time job at Jiffy Lube. Anything is possible when we put our mind to it.

Culvers-Scoopie2-1024x683.jpg

I like the three man teams, maybe do play by play guy, no fighter/retired fighter (Rogan/Smith) and have guest fighters for each event for color commentating. I'd be fine with multiple guest switching in and out for different fights to avoid bias for teammates

He's really good on the NJPW telecasts. I'd think it would transfer over well from wrestling to MMA.

Definitely not Woodly. Funny how he shit on Usman’s performance yet he looked just about the same against Maia.

Definitely not Woodly. Funny how he shit on Usman’s performance yet he looked just about the same against Maia.
yah but Woodz is champ. Kamaru just a contender

I like Frank Mirs comentating at ACB.
More than Felder or Cruz at UFC events.

And I also can't stand Woodley as an analyst but to be fair I just don't like him in general.

Btw. Adesanya is really funny, would like to see him doing some stuff for the UFC.
Same with Tuivasa.

I agree, also some like Cormier use it to their advantage when they receive a future oponent like he did with Gus

Felt the same about Frank Mir. He had a WEC analyst job, but couldn't get close to the UFC commentary gig.

Frank Mir was, by far, my favorite commentator in MMA. He's a douche when he talks about his own fighting, but he's amazing at analyzing other fighters/fights.

I suspect an issue might be that guys like Barnett and in the past Mir aren't people the UFC feel are "company men", Josh especially is prone to speak his mind. As I said though I do think he's a good combination of personality, knowledge and not looking down on "rivals", he tends to have something positive to say about pretty much any fighter(Lombard during there fued comes to mind, he wouldn't rubbish him).

Part of the problem the UFC have trying to get over newer fighters is IMHO that there inhouse marketing is both bland and such obvious shilling that most just ignore it. Everyone is sold with the same clichéd phases that just wash over most viewers.

Last edited:
I'm fine the desk analysts being active fighters, but it isn't a good look to have them doing cageside commentary. There's just too much room for bias there, even though I'm fine in general with what Felder, DC, and Cruz have done (though not all pairing involving them work).

It seems to work when they are professional.. but way too many cringey moments lead me to say no.

Back