Former greats that could return to peak form?

KB Warrior

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Is there anyone out there you think that can return to their prior glory?

Possible Candidates:

Brock
Aldo
Weidman
Pettis
Condit
Melendez
Cain
Hendricks
Cruz
Shogun
Rashad
Lyoto

Shogun for sure still has it, hes only 36-37. If Jose wins a couple fights, he counts too. If Rafael wins against Colby, thats a resurgence of sorts. Funny how all my examples are Brazilians. Those fucks dont give up

Possible Candidates:

Brock
Aldo
Weidman
Pettis
Condit
Melendez
Cain
Hendricks
Cruz
Shogun
Rashad
Lyoto

maybe cain and weidman

Possible Candidates:

Brock
Aldo
Weidman
Pettis
Condit
Melendez
Cain
Hendricks
Cruz
Shogun
Rashad
Lyoto
None one them can return to peak form.

"peak" is called "peak" for a reason. There is only one peak.

GSP did it. And would likely look much better at WW. Or possibly LW like he talked about.

Idk, I kind of hope he retires for good. Or gets a guaranteed shot at the LW belt. Or a new 165 like has been rumored. No other fight interests me for him. The only thing that can help his legacy is a third belt. While any loss would tarnish his legacy a little bit.

But you know assholes in here would never let us forget if he ever loses again. They’re still holding on to shit from a decade ago to try to discredit him.

Possible Candidates:

Brock
Aldo
Weidman
Pettis
Condit
Melendez
Cain
Hendricks
Cruz
Shogun
Rashad
Lyoto
I could see Weidman stringing some wins together. Seems most possible based on that list.

cain has the best shot of anyone on that list. if he's healthy he can beat any HW. werdum had his number but werdum is getting old and looked it in his last fight.

aldo can still be champ if holloway somehow gets removed from the equation.

cruz can obviously beat TJ, but then has to deal with cody again.

weidman might be able to do it on a good night, but i wouldn't give him good odds against any of romero, rockhold or whittaker.

no way brock beats stipe, but as weak as HW is, if you take stipe away I guess it's possible.

the rest of the guys on that list are shot.

Shogun for sure still has it, hes only 36-37. If Jose wins a couple fights, he counts too. If Rafael wins against Colby, thats a resurgence of sorts. Funny how all my examples are Brazilians. Those fucks dont give up
Agree in that rda had quite a resurgence.. Aldo lost to max twice if he beats Stephens he never really fell off that far.

Agree in that rda had quite a resurgence.. Aldo lost to max twice if he beats Stephens he never really fell off that far.
Conor did it too though, so 3 losses in a few years is not Aldos peak form. I agree that theres no shame in losing to Max though.
If youre ever gonna count out Jose, or DC, or Joanna, I remind you of the story of Benson and Cowboy. Benson beat him twice, then Cowboy won the third

cain has the best shot of anyone on that list. if he's healthy he can beat any HW. werdum had his number but werdum is getting old and looked it in his last fight.

aldo can still be champ if holloway somehow gets removed from the equation.

cruz can obviously beat TJ, but then has to deal with cody again.

weidman might be able to do it on a good night, but i wouldn't give him good odds against any of romero, rockhold or whittaker.

no way brock beats stipe, but as weak as HW is, if you take stipe away I guess it's possible.

the rest of the guys on that list are shot.
Shogun has won 3 in a row, and should be taken way more seriously than Wiedman or Brock

Call me crazy, but I think Ken Shamrock has another good run left in him.

Nice question. It seems that returning to the top may be even more difficult than getting there the first time. I'd say (and really hope) that shogun can do it. Also Wiedman might.

Possible Candidates:

Brock
Hendricks
Shogun
Rashad
Lyoto
giphy.gif

Brock - Still an elite athlete/wrestler in a thin division who hasn't taken much damage; can win money fights
Aldo - Looked good before gassing against cardio machine current champ; hasn't declined much and still dangerous
Weidman - Still a high level gatekeeper but injury prone and very unlikely to win a belt again
Pettis - Mentally shot, too many holes in game, will never be elite again
Condit - 100% done, possibly 1 more fight before retirement but too battle torn to go past that
Melendez - Done; too many wars/not exceptional at anything to make him stand out anymore
Cain - 1 win in 5 years over a punching bag = done; likely 1 more injury away from retirement
Hendricks - Full time job at fast food joint for employee discount
Cruz - Can likely get a big money title fight based on name value but constant injury makes him a big question mark. Most likely to regain elite form but still questionable
Shogun - Battle worn but on a streak in a very thin division against a beatable contender; could fight for the title again and likely has a few more big fights left before retirement
Rashad - Mentally shot; hasn't had a good performance since beating Tito in 2011, should retire
Lyoto - Taken far too much damage in recent years; should retire win/loss against Vitor

Ranked: Cruz, Aldo, Weidman, Brock, Shogun, Cain, Melendez, Pettis, Lyoto, Condit, Rashad, Hendricks

Possible Candidates:

Brock
Aldo
Weidman
Pettis
Condit
Melendez
Cain
Hendricks
Cruz
Shogun
Rashad
Lyoto
Brock because he doesn't give a shit about USADA and because HW is weak right now.

Champion : Stipe Miocic
1 Francis Ngannou

2 Alistair Overeem

3 Alexander Volkov

4 Curtis Blaydes

5 Fabricio Werdum

6 Derrick Lewis

6 Mark Hunt

8 Marcin Tybura

9 Andrei Arlovski

10 Aleksei Oleinik

11 Stefan Struve

12 Tai Tuivasa

13 Shamil Abdurakhimov

14 Junior Albini

15 Justin Willis

Brock would be the rightful favorite over all of them except Stipe, Reem and maybe Blaydes, Werdum, Oleyinik, and Ngannou.

Back