In terms of grappling, Lee doesn't hold a candle to Khabib

Rdude92

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Khabib has an elite array of weapons compared to Lee in teh takedown and teh clinch. It's very visible in the takedowns that both of them use. Khabib in the octocage, has been seen using not only single/double leg takedowns, but also Judo throws and sweeps which he implemented inside his grappling game. As for Lee, its all wrestling based takedowns which are his bread and butter. Not to mention Khabib is not only skilled in wrestling, but also in judo and a world sambo champ, plus he was a NAGA no gi grappling welterweight champ.

Also, I've never seen Khabib fighting on the back foot. He's always the one piling on the pressure. This certainly supports in getting the takedown. But as for Lee, we've seen how he fights when he's put on the backfoot in the fight with Raging Al. He doesn't fare good there seeing how he lost that fight.

Overall, I think Khabib would wreck Kevin if they grapple. Thoughts?

I think Lee has a better chance than 95% of the LW roster.

Not saying he'd beat Khabib, beat his chances are alot better than others.

In b4 the obvious, Lee is more "explosive" and "athletic."

He'd probably have more success stuffing takedowns than Barboza, 155 Frankenberry, Iaqunita, etc.

it's all speculation at this point. both looked dominant in grappling. i tend to go with Khabib because his pace is so relentless that it saps opponents.

i just hope we get to see it.

Lee vs beeb wreslting match idk who win but id bet on beeb he out wrestles pen states ed ruth according to fighters

I agree with you there are levels to this.

Khabib does to Lee what he did to RDA.

He AT LEAST holds a candle to him. Khabib shows more variation than DC or Cain with his takedowns but that doesnt mean hes a better grappler. Kevin Lee submitted Michael Chiesa. Nuff said

He was also 21, first UFC fight and on short notice against Al. Being able to fight off the back foot isn't a weakness, it's versatility and a strength. Khabib isn't even a move forward all the time guy either. He was against Barboza because that is the best way for someone like Khabib to fight Barboza because it exploits Edson's weakness to being pressured but Khabib is usually patient in looking for his opportunities to close up the distance.

I think Lee has better shot takedowns in open space, honestly. Khabib has better chain wrestling on the fence. Lee has a lot more going with his striking too.

Khabib could beat Lee but wrecking him seems very unlikely to me. Who has Khabib beaten that can really wrestle well? Al who was training to fight a kickboxer and RDA right before his great run I guess? It's a tough fight for Khabib, I think Lee matches up with him pretty well.

This is disingenuous.

There is no possible way to deny that Lee has absolutely fantastic grappling. He's taken down and mounted virtually everyone he's fought. He cuts through guards like butter.

I personally think Khabib has pretty much the best overall grappling in MMA, but downplaying Lee does no good.

you gotta respect Kevin Lee the dude had to prove his worth climbing up the ladder with no easy fights, debuted against Iaquinta, I dont think he was a heavy fave in any match up. His "easiest" matchup was against the bodysnatcher Jesse Ronson who himself had three ultraaaa close split dec losses to trinaldo, lee, and prazeres and couldve arguably won all three of those fights

I agree with everything TS said, that's all.

DC is a superior wrestler to Gus. Woodley is a superior wrestler to Rory. Alvarez is a better wrestler than Conor. etc times a million

Being a better wrestler doesn't mean you are good enough to take down and control a guy who doesn't want to wrestle or be on his back. It's not 2010. Guys know how to move and defend. Khabib will blow his wad if he tries to force TD's vs someone remotely capable of grappling with him even if they aren't as good.

Yes I think Khabib is a better grappler. Perhaps not by much when you factor in athleticism. Khabib needs to be able to score takedowns and keep control outside of the first 2 rounds since he has a massive striking disadvantage vs everyone in the top 5

I'm a three time NCAA Golden gloves wrestler and I can tell you that lee is far superior. Not in the clinch, but in traditional free style greco catch wrestling, he takes the cake.

I think Khabib is better adapted to MMA. Lee still does the basic, take your back, get hooks. Khabib uses wrestling rides from the back so he can pummel you. Lee uses grappling to control you. Khabib uses grappling to put you in position to take damage.

I see Khabib winning because he's simply more violent.

I'm a three time NCAA Golden gloves wrestler and I can tell you that lee is far superior. Not in the clinch, but in traditional free style greco catch wrestling, he takes the cake.

LMAO wtf are you talking about? What the hell is a golden gloves wrestler? And uhhhh, catch is not traditional. What do you gain from lying on the internet?

As a black belt in wrestling I can confirm this.

Khabib's wrestling is far beyond Lee's. Lee had to really work hard for some of those takedowns against Barboza while Khabib made it look easy as he made it look easy most of the time in the cage. While Lee's traditional wrestling style may seem better to some, Khabib possesses a larger variety of techniques and styles that his opponents never seem to see coming and are not able to deal with.

Both absolutely dominated and mauled Barboza, with no real difference (other than Lee being rocked, which is not relevant to wrestling.)

Back