Brad Tavares gunning for Michael Bisping next, doesn’t think Israel Adesanya deserves fight with him

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
There was a time when Brad Tavares couldn’t stand Michael Bisping. He was annoyed by “The Count” and watched Bisping’s fights hoping he’d get knocked out. Tavares said when Dan Henderson knocked out Bisping at UFC 100, it was one of his favorite finishes of all time

“There’s no better feeling when you just can’t stand somebody and that happens,” Tavares said of Henderson’s attitude toward Bisping on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour.

Things have changed in recent years. Tavares is now actually fond of Bisping. He’s been wanting to fight him for years — there’s a Twitter exchange going back to 2014 of Tavares asking for a fight. But it’s no longer about vitriol for Tavares. It’s more about respect.

“It became more of, I actually really respect the dude and I was actually really happy for him when he won the [middleweight] belt,” Tavares said. “He’s been at it for so long and I felt like he deserved all those things.”

Tavares, 30, hopes to be Bisping’s opponent in Bisping’s final fight. He said as much after beating Krzysztof Jotko via third-round TKO at UFC on FOX 29 earlier this month in Glendale, Ariz. After that bout, Tavares ran into Bisping backstage. Bisping, who was working as a desk analyst on Fox for that show, told him in no uncertain terms to get out of his face, Tavares said at the time.

It wasn’t like Tavares sought Bisping out — it just happened.

“I didn’t,” Tavares said. “It was just by chance. I’m not one of those guys that will talk shit on Twitter or talk shit and say stuff in front of the cameras. I’m me. The Bisping fight is a fight I’ve wanted for years now — years and years.”

“I’ve been sick of people saying, ‘Oh, why you trying to pick on Mike?’” Tavares said. “They’re kind of just writing him off like he’s a chump, but he’s not. Like, ‘Oh, he’s trying to retire, why you trying to bully him?’ This, that, whatever. It’s like, what the f*ck are you guys talking about? I’ve been trying to fight this dude. I’ve got nothing but respect for him, but at the end of the day don’t call me a bully. If he’s scared, he’s scared. I can’t force him to fight. If he doesn’t want it, he doesn’t want it.”

The UFC might not want it, either. Tavares confirmed that the UFC has approached him about fighting top prospect Israel Adesanya next. Tavares isn’t as excited about that fight, but he’s willing to take it, provided the UFC renews his contract. He only has one fight left on that deal.

“Honestly, I don’t think the kid Israel deserves a fight with me,” Tavares said. “But if that’s what the UFC wants and they’re gonna pay me, I don’t care who it is standing across from me. I’ll smash him.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

I'd much rather see the Adesanya fight tbh.

Why doesn't he deserve it? You're Brad Tavares. lol.

Doesn’t think Adesanya “deserves” him yet Brad thinks he deserves Ping?

Nobody "guns" for Bisping. The most they do is reluctantly accept.

Bisping said on his recent Believe you me podcast that he's really thinking about hanging it up. Tavares is chasing a meaningless fight.

I thought Ping and Diaz were fighting. What happened to that?

People thinking thy are going to use Bisping as a springboard to the top 5.

No way in hell will Bisping fight Tavares, dude is dreaming.

Bisping vs. Nick Diaz is the only fight Bisping sticks around for.

Just imagine the buildup for that fight though. Man. That would be fantastic. Big fight for the UFC. Doubt Nick comes back, but if he does, this is number one on my list for his comeback fight.

"I really respect the guy...But I want to give him his walking papers."

<mma3>

Brad...Brad...Brad. The guy wants a big name before he retires... Take what you can get. Steal some of that hype.

Minus the like fact that 95% of his fights are decisions, I really like Brad and agree with him that Israel needs to work up to him. Nothing against Israel but he’s way too new and just beat Marvin Vettori.....that doesn’t get you a top 12 guy. Sorry.

Imagine that you one morning wake up and you are Brad Tavares - a multiple weight UFC champion, billionaire and sought after by Hollywood. And then your servant knocks on the door and says that Dana White is asking for your permission to suggest that you fight Israel something. What da fook! You are Brad Tavares and not some peasant from the undercard.

Last edited:
Tavares doesn't deserve a fight with Bisping.

Back