Bad Fighter With A Grappling Background vs. Bad Fighter With A Striking Background

ufcfan1986

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Who wins?

What I mean is both fighters are overall shitty, but one is a little better in grappling and the other at striking.

I’ve heard that when an elite grappler faces an elite striker than the elite grappler has the advantage. Of course in the fight game anything can happen and good strikers beat good grapplers plenty. However, as a rule of thumb I’ve heard more that the grappler has the advantage.

When the skill set is really reduced I’m not sure if this still applies though.

Also, yes this thread was directly inspired by CM Punk vs. Mike Jackson.

Depends on who has the better TD vs TDD.

if elite grappling bests elite striking then, logically, shitty grappling should best shitty striking, as long as everything changes proportionally (but how can that be guaranteed?)

Go back to early UFC. Shitty grapplers dominated shitty strikers for the most part.

Very vague post. More details are needed. Shitty striker with amazing tdd likely beats shitty grappler with no striking and bad takedowns.

Slightly modify the equation and its already a different ballgame.
Shitty grappler with one punch ko power but poor takedowns vs shitty striker with glass jaw... I wouldn't place bets on that one.

1_medium.gif

Grappler if everything else is equal (chin, cardio, heart, speed etc.) but that isn't a realistic scenario

if they are in the UFC, they would hopefully be "not shitty" at either striking or grappling.

or preferably "not shitty" at both as the UFC is the highest level of MMA.

Very vague post. More details are needed. Shitty striker with amazing tdd likely beats shitty grappler with no striking and bad takedowns.

Slightly modify the equation and its already a different ballgame.
Shitty grappler with one punch ko power but poor takedowns vs shitty striker with glass jaw... I wouldn't place bets on that one.

I guess just apply your more detailed variables to whatever you think CM Punk and Mike Jackson have. As I said in the OP that’s the fight that inspired this thread :)

It would be a shitshow watched by shithawks, Randy.
1513413464598.jpg

if they are in the UFC, they would hopefully be "not shitty" at either striking or grappling.

{<RR}

<{CMPALM}>

I would classify at least 50-60% of the UFC's current roster as shitty.

What's with all these drawback questions? This is MMA not UFC 1
Are these coming because frickin Joe Rogan opened his big mouth about Khabib striking and now you all think Khabib is one dinensional? Lol give me a break.

Khabib outstrike him and he even said that Khabib striking is good. Stop with this B.S.

"Why yall discussing topics on an MMA discussion forum?"

<YeahOKJen><{clintugh}>

Because for the first time in a long time, we've got tons of great 1-dimensional fighters. It's like UFC 1 again at 155 and it's exciting.

You've got a pure striker in Conor. You've got a pure grappler in Khabib. It's a relevant conversation again.

Also we're seeing a huuuuuuuge evolution in the striking games. Guys like Stephen Thompson, TJ, Conor, it's so fun and we didn't have this years ago.

They are so good that wrestle boxers can not strike with them at all and have to use their wrestling only. So it turns all their matchups into 1-d matchups. Except for like Tyron that guys good

ever heard of WMMA ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back