How many pro fights before getting into UFC

Mason Magboo

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
If someone fight professionally in MMA, how many fights do they need in order to get into the UFC?

tenor.gif

There is no set number. It's different for everyone.

0 or more.

several fighters have had 0 (that wrestler fella last year, and James Toney in 2009 or 10). Brock had 1. several had 0 going into TUF (didn't one win TUF once?). an American Football player just signed up for Contenders and he has none.

yes i'm bad with names right now; use google if you want more specifics.

Depends. If your an all-time great like CM Punk you don't need any fights, even amateur fights.

Or if you are like Alexei Olenik, just a bum who can submit guys while being full mounted, you need about 60 fights before you get the call.

Last edited:
For a normal dude with no pre-existing fame or star power like 10. Less to be on TUF.

Women need like 5 apparently.

No idea. It must fluctuate, depending on the circumstances. I think female featherweights need to do 50 pushups in an hour to make it to the UFC.

I dont know how it works, but there are always different circumstances. It must depend fighter's losses (if any) and how much winning he's done to make up for them. If the fighter is almost there but loses, maybe he needs to win another 3-5 fights. Also, of course, the competition is a factor. If the fighter is undefeated at 4-0 and then beats a UFC reject with a name, he may get the invitation.

Some guys may be fast-tracked because they are locals that can pad a UFC card in their region.

There are always exceptions (Cain, Brock, etc.), but generally, a fighter should have to prove himself to get into the octagon.

For men usually 10+

Women usually 4+

Women in a new division 2

NFL players 1

WWE superstars 0

Mike Jackson is 0-1 in the ufc and in mma. He's no NFL or wwe alumni.
He's there just to give the WWE alumnus a halfway decent chance to get a win, before that he was there to legitimize the WWE alumnus' previous opponent. lol

If you have 3 fights you are automatically added to the UFC roster. So get those fights in and pick an event to show up at.

Mike Jackson is 0-1 in the ufc and in mma. He's no NFL or wwe alumni.
he's the weirdest case in recent UFC history. Everyone knows why CM Punk was signed but I have no idea why they picked Mike Jackson.

I'd do what Brock did and take one warm up fight before going into the UFC and winning the title.

But that's just me.

Back