Should, or could Herb have stopped the fight in round 4 ?

Spacelord13

Switchin to Glide
Banned
Reaction score
Stipe vs Ngannou. Stipe took Frank down 20 seconds into the round. He never got back to his feet. Stipe proceeded to beat on him to the tune of 82-0 in strikes. There were very many completely undefended strikes. Does that strike differential fit your definition of intelligently defending yourself ?

That was after a 54-8 round 3 strike differential. Should Herb have stopped the fight at some point in the 4th ? Even possibly at the conclusion of the round. It took Frank five, or six seconds to even stand up at the end of the round.

And is 10-8 a realistic score for that round. Or would a 10-7 perhaps be more appropriate ?

I’m curious what people think about it.

I think there is a kind off grim fatalism in MMA sometimes. Like, everyone knew Ngannou was done and had nothing left with which to mount a comeback. Ngannou knew, Stipe knew, Herb knew, the commentators knew, the ring girls knew, both corners knew, and all fans knew that Ngannou was done. Stipe wasn't quite putting a Cain vs JDS type beating on Ngannou, but it was just as needless, and frankly boring.

Should Herb have stopped it? I wouldn't have complained if he had. I've got no complaint that he didn't.

I don’t think the stats tell the whole story (although it was 82-0) It never looked like Francis was in real danger and if I remember correctly Stipe was more conservative with his GnP not putting much on his punches.

I think there is a kind off grim fatalism in MMA sometimes. Like, everyone knew Ngannou was done and had nothing left with which to mount a comeback. Ngannou knew, Stipe knew, Herb knew, the commentators knew, the ring girls knew, both corners knew, and all fans knew that Ngannou was done. Stipe wasn't quite putting a Cain vs JDS type beating on Ngannou, but it was just as needless, and frankly boring.

Should Herb have stopped it? I wouldn't have complained if he had. I've got no complaint that he didn't.

What about the scoring for the round ? Was 10-8 the proper score in your opinion ?

What about the scoring for the round ? Was 10-8 the proper score in your opinion ?

Probably. To give a firmer answer I'd have to rewatch it, because in that type of fight the rounds sometimes run together for me. 10-7 should be reserved for one-sided beatdowns with massive damage. Like Frankie vs Maynard 2 round 1.

the ring girls knew

Speaking of the ring girls. After round one when they were showing replays. Two of them had great reactions to the big TD by Stipe to close out the round. One just opened her mouth in a “ wow “ kind of reaction. Another one put both of her hands over her mouth and nose. In a kind of “ omg “ reaction.

LOL. I thought that was great.

If Francis's face wore the damage like Hunt's did, I bet the ref would have stepped in. Even as it was I don't think anybody would have complained if it got stopped. I certainly wouldn't have. But you didn't get the feel that Francis was suffering from anything besides exhaustion, so nobody's outraged for his sake that it went on as long as it did.

Late stoppages are objectively superior to early stoppages.

I watch MMA to see savages hurt each other very badly, I don't watch MMA to see nice and respectful martial artists show mercy and exercise restraint. What would be the point of that?

it would have been like when frankie tko'd bj. it wasnt over the top ground and pound, the reff just kind of decided enough was enough. everyone felt the same way

there might have been some back lash but it would have been fine with me

Stipe vs Ngannou. Stipe took Frank down 20 seconds into the round. He never got back to his feet. Stipe proceeded to beat on him to the tune of 82-0 in strikes. There were very many completely undefended strikes. Does that strike differential fit your definition of intelligently defending yourself ?

That was after a 54-8 round 3 strike differential. Should Herb have stopped the fight at some point in the 4th ? Even possibly at the conclusion of the round. It took Frank five, or six seconds to even stand up at the end of the round.

And is 10-8 a realistic score for that round. Or would a 10-7 perhaps be more appropriate ?

I’m curious what people think about it.

10-8 for sure. Lol @ 10 -7. And yes, he could have stopped it at the conclusion, but it wasn't a bad decision to let it go on.

Anything can happen tho.

No not for me, the punches had nothing on them, they were little short punches and most hit the glove and forearm. If Stipe knew how to do chokes he could have choked Ngannou out, the choke was there so many times but I don't think he knew how to do it.

No not for me, the punches had nothing on them, they were little short punches and most hit the glove and forearm. If Stipe knew how to do chokes he could have choked Ngannou out, the choke was there so many times but I don't think he knew how to do it.

The sub was definitely there.

You absolutely need to watch the round again though.

8 completely unblocked shots to the head in a row. 9 completely unblocked elbows to the ribs in a row. 4 completely unblocked shots, 2 partially blocked shots to the head in a row. 7 shots to the head from his left, 3 from his right, and 3 more with his left, all in a row, and completely unblocked.

Most of these shots were not even close to being short pitter patter punches. They were coming from a couple of feet away. They had power. And we’re also talking about a guy that KOd Werdum with a short shot. Shorter than alot of the punches I’ve just described here.

After all of that there was a series of ten shots where Ngannou only has his hand beside his head. Stipe looks up at Herb. And then pulls his arm all the way back ( 4 feet away ) and nails Frank in an unblocked shot behind the ear. Then another all the way back punch, that hit the hand. Most of the punches I’ve just described were lefts. Which isn’t his power hand. But it’s still Stipe we’re talking about. And these punches had wind ups behind them.

Then a combo of 2 punches with the hand up. To two hammerfists on the other side unblocked. Back to 2 punches again with the hand up.

And there were many 1, or 2 punch strikes, and combos some partially blocked, and some not. Finishing with about 25 unblocked rights to the ribs. And those all came from a couple feet or more away.

I said in the OP “ many completely undefended strikes “. There were at least 30 of them to the head. I didn’t give an opinion. And only laid out facts in the OP. Because I wanted to know what others thought. And I respect your opinion. But if you watch again. I’m sure even you will admit what you said about those punches is about as wrong as it gets. Most of the 82 strikes were not blocked in any way ( including the elbows and rights to the ribs ).

Back