Edson got mauled but at this point I don´t think a lot of people can stop Khabib or Lee

Kung Fu bb

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Khabib and Lee are at the top of the food chain when it comes to wrestling / grappling.

People say "Barboza can´t fight mma if he can´t wrestle". But imo noone in the division would be able to stop them. Maybe Tony can pull out a submission again, but we don´t know how he´s gonna come fack after the injury. And I´m not confident Alvarez has good enough wrestling to stop either guy.
giphy.gif

People also say "At least he should train more bjj". Listen, all these guys are training their asses off, including bjj specially to fight these two, but they´re all getting beat up and dominated anyway. And I´ll be honest with you, I don´t even know if a guy like Maia would be able to stop getting wrestlefucked or finish these 2. (yes, even being a WW, I´m not sure Maia would be able to finish either guy, and I´m a huge Maia fan. And I don´t think the Jon Fitch fight serves as example anymore)

I´m not sure that more than 1 or 2 fighters besides Tony and Alvarez can stop getting wrestlefucked by Khabib or Lee. But since Barboza was the only one who had the balls to take on (back to back) the 2 best wrestlers / grapplers in the LW division, people are being too quick to criticize him.

(on a different note, we´ve already seen that backpedalling doesn´t work for Barboza, so at least once I´d really like to see him being the aggressor and throwing all those nasty kicks. If you notice, he´s never getting taken down or tagged while he´s throwing his kicks, but instead when he´s backpedalling and getting stuck against the cage)

Just my 2 cents.

People saying the same thing about Gaetje; "He just fought two top guys."

There's definitely a nugget of truth to statements like these regarding a fighter who just lost a few in a row, but the writing is on the wall. Barboza won't be champ, but should remain in the top 10 for a while before he takes his rightful place at the gate. Same for Gaetje.

Khabib and Lee are at the top of the food chain when it comes to wrestling / grappling.

People say "Barboza can´t fight mma if he can´t wrestle". But imo noone in the division would be able to stop them. Maybe Tony can pull out a submission again, but we don´t know how he´s gonna come fack after the injury. And I´m not confident Alvarez has good enough wrestling to stop either guy.
giphy.gif

People also say "At least he should train more bjj". Listen, all these guys are training their asses off, including bjj specially to fight these two, but they´re all getting beat up and dominated anyway. And I´ll be honest with you, I don´t even know if a guy like Maia would be able to stop getting wrestlefucked or finish these 2. (yes, even being a WW, I´m not sure Maia would be able to finish either guy, and I´m a huge Maia fan. And I don´t think the Jon Fitch fight serves as example anymore)

I´m not sure that more than 1 or 2 fighters besides Tony and Alvarez can stop getting wrestlefucked by Khabib or Lee. But since Barboza was the only one who had the balls to take on (back to back) the 2 best wrestlers / grapplers in the LW division, people are being too quick to criticize him.

(on a different note, we´ve already seen that backpedalling doesn´t work for Barboza, so at least once I´d really like to see him being the aggressor and throwing all those nasty kicks. If you notice, he´s never getting taken down or tagged while he´s throwing his kicks, but instead when he´s backpedalling and getting stuck against the cage)

Just my 2 cents.
Barboza is getting severely underrated for half of his losses being to the possible 3 best LWs in the world.

Barboza is getting severely underrated for half of his losses being to the possible 3 best LWs in the world.

That's not the impression I'm getting. People in general seem to rate him pretty highly.

giphy.gif

Just my 2 cents.

I'd watch Khabib vs Lee.

I'd rather watch Khabib vs Conor cause it would be FUCKING EPIC, but if that can't happen Lee will do.

At least until Tony recovers.

People saying the same thing about Gaetje; "He just fought two top guys."

There's definitely a nugget of truth to statements like these regarding a fighter who just lost a few in a row, but the writing is on the wall. Barboza won't be champ, but should remain in the top 10 for a while before he takes his rightful place at the gate. Same for Gaetje.
I don´t disagree with you.
As long as guys like Khabib and Lee are out there, I don´t even see Barboza getting a rematch anytime soon, regardless of how many consecutive fights he gets. But that is also true for many other guys too.

Barboza’s two biggest wins in his last 8 fights were against Melendez and Pettis and both of those have been on the slide recently. He lost to a bunch of great fighters but he clearly isn’t that close to being top of the pile. The division passed him by.

I present to you D1 Nate
BlankWarmCaecilian.gif

The worst wrestler in the lightweight top 15

LegitimateCheerfulHyracotherium.gif
These don't really count, Nate is 6"3, 200 lbs and got the takedowns just because Connor got tired out of hitting Nate's face !

In the 1st and 2nd rounds <{Heymansnicker}>

Aside from an awful ground game and wrestling, he’s also got terrible boxing. He’s a flawed fighter and won’t ever fight for the belt.

Barboza is basically Michael Johnson. Both got into the top 10 maybe even the top 5, but can't hold their position because of their weak grappling. If they can't stuff the takedown they are toast.

Does TS think Ferguson is better on the ground than Maia?

Khabib might give Maia trouble. Lee not so. Or does TS think Lee is a better wrestler than Chael?

Khabib might give Maia trouble. Lee not so. Or does TS think Lee is a better wrestler than Chael?
No I don´t. But Maia is on a decline and past 40 with suspicious gas tank at this point. Ferguson is younger, cardio freak and granite chin. And Lee had an infection.

These don't really count, Nate is 6"3, 200 lbs and got the takedowns just because Connor got tired out of hitting Nate's face !

In the 1st and 2nd rounds <{Heymansnicker}>
Nate is not 200 lbs. He cut from just over 180 for that fight.

Aside from an awful ground game and wrestling, he’s also got terrible boxing. He’s a flawed fighter and won’t ever fight for the belt.
You don’t know what you’re watching.

No disrespect

giphy.gif

Just my 2 cents.
If you think Maia wouldn't be able to stop them from "wrestlefucking" them then you're helpless. There's a reason why the key to beating Maia is to keep it standing at all costs. Ask Chael what happens when you try to take it to the ground with him.

Dang I just said that. Woodley and Colby are comparable wrestlers to Lee especially and there's a reason why they wanted nothing to do with the ground.

Back